Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labyrinth as a fortress entrance?  (Read 4601 times)

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Labyrinth as a fortress entrance?
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:29:05 am »

Could this work, or would attackers automatically know the correct way to go?
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth as a fortress entrance?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:36:56 am »

It works great to slow them down but if there is a fast route they will tend to find it rather fast, it's what the pathing algorithm does.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:51:03 am »

It works great to slow them down but if there is a fast route they will tend to find it rather fast, it's what the pathing algorithm does.
And I suppose that when a path is found, it's recorded for any future delvers.
Pressure plates scattered around the labyrinth that open and close doors should keep the path updating I suppose.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:34 am »

As would animals pastured at various points, lone dwarves and enemies, the odd FB...

You didn't just mean a big maze, did you?
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:28:01 am »

That's basically the trick with a goblin-grinder. Get them to rush across traps towards an entrance which then triggers a hatch and stops them, they turn and try to go back, triggering those hatches and undoing the others, etc, etc, etc.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:47:03 am »

Be warned, this approach will kill your FPS long before it kills your enemies.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:48:19 am »

Remember that wagons need a path of three tiles to the trade depot, without any doors, traps, or pressure plates as obstructions.  That will probably be the main stumbling block.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 02:53:18 pm »

Enemies will know how to get through the maze -- but you could chain animals at certain dead ends to draw them there before they continue.

But yeah, if your maze is too complex, it will slow down your computer way too much.  I have a very basic maze-type entrance to one of my forts, and my FPS is kill.

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »

Remember that wagons need a path of three tiles to the trade depot, without any doors, traps, or pressure plates as obstructions.  That will probably be the main stumbling block.

I tend to use a trade depot airlock. Once all the wagons are in, and the merchants are unloading the goods, I'll seal them in, and open the drawbridge that allows access to the fort.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:54:52 am »

in my last fortress, i tried a similiar approach:
a drawbridge shortcut that i close on enemy sight and only leaves a 1tile broad snaky path to the secondary entrance on the other end of the level going around my archer positions. on the end, there's another drawbridge, so i can switch them and the whole group runs back again past my archers.
the path is channeled and if the enemies should fall down, they have to walk to the main entrance and start over again.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:28 am »

To answer your question, yeah you want a pressure plate system to keep them stranded. Main purpose of the labyrinth is to slow them down and increase buffer time for military dwarves to respond, unless you want to work in some magma or water drowning device to kill off any invaders that get trapped inside.

I've got a design that might fit your requirements, but technically its not a Labyrinth, more like a very windy path giant dodge me trap.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:18:35 am by Zuglarkun »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:53 pm »

Main purpose of the labyrinth is to slow them down and increase buffer time for military dwarves to respond
If that's all it's intended to achieve, there's no need to make it a maze at all. I once had a fort where the entrance was at z-120 - just the sheer time to get down there was enough of a buffer.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 07:29:00 am »

To clearly answer the original question: all creatures, whether citizens, invaders, or wild animals, automatically know how to traverse any sort of maze by virtue of the game's pathfinding logic - if any path exists from point A to point B, the game is guaranteed to find the shortest path every time, though at the expense of slowing down the game (because they need to recalculate that path every single time).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 08:03:40 am »

okay, so the entrance level is almost done and yes, it'snot a labyrinth, but a snaky path leading through two embarktiles, which is half of my total 2x2 embarksite.
inbetween there are 3 archer positions, which are accessable from 3 levels below, where the barracks will be built.
too bad, i had some problems and the level design is two blocks off to the north and one of the archer positions is 1 block off to the east, but as my dorfs had much FUN channeling this path (sleeping at the construction site, as the way to the dormitory would have taken several days), i believe the enemy will have as much FUN.
i'll still have to find out how to automate that design with pressureplates to have the left entrance long way open until they almost reach the end and have it connected to the right entrance to open again.
a screenshot will follow soon ;)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)