Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SimCity 4 - An oldy but a goody  (Read 3416 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SimCity 4 - An oldy but a goody
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:02:30 am »

I picked up SimCity 4 the other month, wasn't on sale, but wasn't a big deal at the time. Got it off GOG. I wasn't sure if it would work if I upgraded to Windows 10, but it works without any issue at all. However, don't set it to run graphics under software, leave it on hardware :P I set it to that to test it, to see what it does, and I had to reinstall the game as it wouldn't boot up at all.

With that said. Onto the game...

I wasn't really sure what to expect at first. Its pretty old, and Cities Skylines is newer, but lets not turn into a that vs that thread. Both are good. I will say that SimCity 4 (especially with mods) is still just as fun as it was. I worried that it was nostalgia, but nope :P

My current region I started with a small rural, farming community. It supplies all the food to the other cities. Its mostly all low/medium residential and commercial. Its not really built up very much, and I'm gonna keep it smaller and more a focus on farms.

Then the region I connected up to that, all the dirty industry goes and its a much larger city.

Which I so love being able to connect regions up, and there is even custom regions that are HUGE and can make gigantic network of cities. I haven't tried them yet, but I might give one a shot and see how it is.

A couple possible downside I can think of people would have, is vehicles/people aren't really tracked and disappear a lot. Its kinda meh. But you can make a 10million+ city and it will still feel crowded and huge with cars/people all around and the city/game doesn't break because there is a limit of active people it can track. Instead of there being a max active limit of people, its just a visual representation of what the city actually has, but allows for much bigger, less buggy cities.

The other is building mountain cities is a bit challenging, since it mostly wants you to build on flat land, and roads don't climb mountains...or maybe I haven't figured out how to do that. But heh, I've seen people build larger towns on mountain sides, it just takes quite a bit of work I guess. But its kinda annoying trying to build on hilly terrain and instead roads dont go up but just make a tunnel of sorts. That is probably the only annoyance I have with the game.

The graphics are kinda dated of course, but it still looks really nice (to me anyway) because of the artstyle it used. Its definitely playable, and nice on the eyes.

Anyway...anyone still play SimCity 4? There are still lots of mods made for it. And, I'm having more fun than I did when I first played to be honest. I was really young when simcity 4 came out and I sucked so bad at it. Now that I'm older, I actually enjoy it a lot more lol.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:44:12 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: SimCity 4 - An oldy but a goody
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:33 am »

SC4 is nice, and still replayable.
Once you start to look at the world map as your city, and all buildable sub areas as just regions within your city, it becomes really fun to play.
Try to get enought supporting regions to allow one of the largest regions to be completely zoned with only high density residentials (okay okay, and the needed suppoty buildings with effect radius like hospitals), and get them densely populated.
Bonus points if you can do so without causing complete gridlock everywhere.

On longer builds however, once high tech industry starts popping up everywhere, I have found it really, really hard to maintain any decent sized non high tech industry region. Apparently at some turning point, the demand for dirty, and manufacturing industries just dips into near nothingness.

Sadly, there has always been some bugginess for me with the connection of map edges. When you get more an more regions, you need to get used to some of your region's edge buildings / roads / powerlines to be destroyed everytime you swap regions due to map reconiliation error. It's mostly minor damages and terrain height alterations, which are not too hard to fix, but it can be annoying.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:56:19 am »

I still play, pretty heavily modded. The traffic overhaul is a must.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:56:16 pm »

Is that the NAM one? If so, yeah that is a must for anyones game lol. I also like SPAM (the farming mod, since I love having farming regions) and that one that adds a ton of variety of buildings...CAM? or something like that. Its a bit annoying to install though lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »

Without NAM intercity transit turns into a pathfinding loop right?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:37:40 pm »

It still happens with NAM. It's also possible to build around, if you make the jobs be between all of the neighbour connections.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »

Simcity 4 Rush Hour still is the undisputed best city simulator ever made on my book.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 01:14:03 am »

I've come to interrupt this thread's peaceful afterlife with a small announcement for those who might care- I'm running a multiplayer Sim City 4 game in the Play With Your Buddies subforum. It works by using dropbox to sync save files every time they're saved, so we can build a region together and see other people's cities update in roughly real time. Yes, you can play simultaneously as long as you're not actually playing the same city tile. It's got NAM installed as well, and all you need to join is Dropbox and a copy of SC4 with Rush Hour.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »

Okay, since this thread is already necro'd, is there any good map editor for creating terrain? Most of the map editors I've looked at so far are basically just resizing/re-arranging the city map arrangement. The in-game terraforming tools are a pain to use.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:59 pm »

I wish I could find where I put this game...might have to buy it agian. Is it on steam?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 01:58:45 pm »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:08 pm »

for sim city fan there is also city xxl that came out wich i did like for a long time, similar yet different.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »

Cities XXL sucks compared to SimCity4. It's pretty and that's where the budget stopped.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 04:54:44 pm »

Yeah, XXL was always a bit of a gimped game without its online component. I could see the appeal if you wanted a city builder with modern graphics after Sim City 4 officially became 'old', but really now that we have, say, Cities: Skylines there's just no reason not to play that instead. Plus, they have a bad habit of fixing a bunch of bugs every year and releasing it as a "new" game at a $30 price (or whatever) when most people would argue that people who bought previous versions deserve it as a free patch.

Anyway if you haven't tried it, SC4 is worth checking out for $8.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2