Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress OS coming soon  (Read 4772 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress OS coming soon
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 09:38:50 pm »

Pretty sure you could do the same thing with linux by loading up the bare minimum required to get it off the ground and load the necessary graphics drivers.

I mean, that is kinda what I do as is, just with the added pretty bits from kde.

It's a neat idea, but building it off of windows seems like a weird step.

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 09:57:22 pm »

Pretty sure you could do the same thing with linux by loading up the bare minimum required to get it off the ground and load the necessary graphics drivers.

I mean, that is kinda what I do as is, just with the added pretty bits from kde.

its just that Linux has slowly gotten at least SOME bloat, like lots of drivers and windows equivalent to .dll files. The windows based OS that I have didn't even have 5 drivers, and I had to package the ost with them for dwarf fortress to run, so the windows is very paired down, maybe more than a Linux(up to debate, I have no idea. just try the iso and chech base ram/cpu usage.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 05:02:57 am »

With a very active fort running at 1920x1080 in the background one cpu is around 40~45% and ram is at 2466/6957 Mb, sitting around 43 C, dual monitors, no video card so I'm using the ivy bridge integrated, all with multiple tabs open in firefox as well, but this is on arch with little concern for trimming usage.

Pretty sure you could run just the basic kernel+something like xorg to link the drivers and a couple other bits and it would run. The lightweight linux distros like Puppy/Slackware tend to sit at less resource use than you mentioned with a full system running.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:04:28 am by Max™ »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 08:33:50 am »

its just that Linux has slowly gotten at least SOME bloat, like lots of drivers and windows equivalent to .dll files. The windows based OS that I have didn't even have 5 drivers, and I had to package the ost with them for dwarf fortress to run, so the windows is very paired down, maybe more than a Linux(up to debate, I have no idea. just try the iso and chech base ram/cpu usage.)

A Windows-based OS with less than 5 drivers, no bloat, and it's still kinda-Windows, except that it isn't? And you're allowed to distribute that? This is very Odd and Strange indeed.

EDIT: And what do you mean by "transferring the game onto ram"? As far as I know, every computer program has to be loaded into memory to be able to run...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:41:22 am by SirQuiamus »

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 10:02:59 am »

With a very active fort running at 1920x1080 in the background one cpu is around 40~45% and ram is at 2466/6957 Mb, sitting around 43 C, dual monitors, no video card so I'm using the ivy bridge integrated, all with multiple tabs open in firefox as well, but this is on arch with little concern for trimming usage.

Pretty sure you could run just the basic kernel+something like xorg to link the drivers and a couple other bits and it would run. The lightweight linux distros like Puppy/Slackware tend to sit at less resource use than you mentioned with a full system running.

no harm in trying it. I still need to investigate getting my graphics larger than 1024, so you win this time Max™

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 10:04:33 am »

A Windows-based OS with less than 5 drivers, no bloat, and it's still kinda-Windows, except that it isn't? And you're allowed to distribute that? This is very Odd and Strange indeed.

EDIT: And what do you mean by "transferring the game onto ram"? As far as I know, every computer program has to be loaded into memory to be able to run...

I am allowed to distribute it as long as you don't replace your current os with it / sell it. im kinda sure.  has anyone tried it yet?

edit: I cant put the text in the right place for shit edition

as for ram, it doesn't use your hard disk at all. once you boot it up, you can remove the boot media. the files are all on ram. then from there, you can load up the game so saving and loading would all be from ram. also, loading the creatures list would be faster for example.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:13:19 am by OddStranger »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 11:40:10 am »

People might be more willing to try it if you'd just tell what it is and how it works. What version of Windows is it? How is it configured? Where did you get it? (Did you just grab a torrent from some "3L1T3 W1nd0wz H4xx" site?)

Pardon me for being paranoid. It's a good(ish) idea, really, but so far you've been rather economical with the details.

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 12:04:31 pm »

People might be more willing to try it if you'd just tell what it is and how it works. What version of Windows is it? How is it configured? Where did you get it? (Did you just grab a torrent from some "3L1T3 W1nd0wz H4xx" site?)

Pardon me for being paranoid. It's a good(ish) idea, really, but so far you've been rather economical with the details.

I just wanted to be the only one that can make it cause this windows thing was hard to find and configure, but here you go. now anyone can make their own dedicated game os.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766093(v=ws.10).aspx
windows pre installation environment. basically made to configure the hard drive, install graphics drivers, and windows installation and stuff. every OEM(google) uses this to deploy windows. I loaded the right .dll's into it and tried running DF and it worked. You can make your own custom windows PE boot disk with DF installed.

how is it configured? base windows PE + 4 dll files from opendll.com + dwarf fortress 40.24 + startnet.bat edit to make it auto start-up DF(but I failed with it, messed up on a command

There, all my secrets are spilt. it should come to about 192mb(the ISO) if you do this.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 12:57:48 pm »

Why thank you, kind sir, that is exactly what I wanted to know! :)

I had no idea that MS has such neato stuff as this Windows PE – will certainly look into it now.

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »

Why thank you, kind sir, that is exactly what I wanted to know! :)

I had no idea that MS has such neato stuff as this Windows PE – will certainly look into it now.

Yeah, my day "job" is just looking into cool things. with this, you could make dedicated gaming systems to specific games, that cant be found on linux, and programs with some technical knowledge.

best of all it is COMPLETELY free. you can get a trial of windows server, download windows ADK, bake a boot disk, then you have windows for free*

*if you deem basic win32 environment windows.

have fun with this free knowledge.

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 09:10:03 pm »

bumping. anyone still interested in this? should I bother improving this further?

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 09:22:09 am »

Wait, wouldn't people need to write graphics drivers, etc. for your OS?

What? if you needed drivers to see video, then nobody would be able to use any os.

1-Install os
2-Nothing is showing because no drivers
3-Because nothing is showing you wont be able to install it (if you pc doenst recognize your graphics card and already have the drive for it), download from net, this because you

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 12:37:01 pm »

Would i be possible to use the text output mode in Linux so that it runs straight from the console? A custom locale & fonts may be needed to make all the tiles work but you could cut out a *lot* of the overhead otherwise needed for a GUI.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »

Wait, wouldn't people need to write graphics drivers, etc. for your OS?

What? if you needed drivers to see video, then nobody would be able to use any os.

1-Install os
2-Nothing is showing because no drivers
3-Because nothing is showing you wont be able to install it (if you pc doenst recognize your graphics card and already have the drive for it), download from net, this because you
All motherboards come with an integrated GPU. Doesn't mean they're worth a damn. You'd be stuck at around 1024x768 resolution or so. I'm not sure how much the performance of DF itself would suffer, but some of the rendering options (and TwbT) might not be supported. You might also have issues with the NumLock light and such on laptops.

It's a moot point since OP revealed it's actually just a modified Win32 OS. I thought he made his own Linux-based distro or something.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:23:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 01:37:35 pm »

bumping. anyone still interested in this? should I bother improving this further?
If there's even a small improvement to the FPS, then I for one am interested.
Pages: 1 [2] 3