Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress OS coming soon  (Read 4768 times)

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress OS coming soon
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:58:27 am »

Hey guys, im currently working on an OS that would load directly into DF. I would give you an iso to burn and then you would load it up. there would be less ram taken by the os, less cpu needed by os, it would be faster because the game is transferred onto ram.

The only problems im encountering is I cant get it bigger than 1024x768, and how to safely transfer DF to and from ram without user mistake/computer mistake/ shutting down the machine and losing progress.
Also I would need permission from the owners, to use their program in it.

Would you guys be interested in something like that?

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress OS coming soon
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:24:43 am »

How are you even doing something like this?

I'd be interested to know the results as far as performance goes. Is it the kind of thing one could load off a USB stick without altering the computer system? Because I wouldn't really be down to wipe my gaming laptop (or risk a file-damaging crash, etc.) for the sake of DF :P

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »

How are you even doing something like this?

I'd be interested to know the results as far as performance goes. Is it the kind of thing one could load off a USB stick without altering the computer system? Because I wouldn't really be down to wipe my gaming laptop (or risk a file-damaging crash, etc.) for the sake of DF :P

loads directly off a usb/cd into ram so it never touches the hard disk. performance should be better than your current by a little bit(I haven't extensively benchmarked it, I don't know of any DF benchmarks)

ill get an iso loaded onto here soon for everyone to try.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:58 pm »

Wait, wouldn't people need to write graphics drivers, etc. for your OS?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:29:21 pm »

I think you don't technically have the right to redistribute the game after you're done, but I also don't think Toady has complained about things like the newby packs before. Anyone know what Toady's opinion on things like this are?

BTW, that's still awesome. I love the idea of a game on a liveUSB, and can't think of a better candidate.

It's most likely a linux OS, and basic graphics drivers are included. that said... DF isn't exactly graphics card intensive. It's LOTS of CPU and RAM mostly.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:31:19 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »

I think you don't technically have the right to redistribute the game after you're done, but I also don't think Toady has complained about things like the newby packs before. Anyone know what Toady's opinion on things like this are?

BTW, that's still awesome. I love the idea of a game on a liveUSB, and can't think of a better candidate.

yeah its in the "don't do it" side of the legal line, which is the only problem, but I can do it so I thought, why the hell not. In ~1hour, ill post the WIP ISO, I have to test it myself still, its almost "ready"

edit: I messed up with the quotes again I realised
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:04:06 pm by OddStranger »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »

Couldn't you have DF download itself from Bay12 somehow on initial setup? Sort of like a package update thing?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

Couldn't you have DF download itself from Bay12 somehow on initial setup? Sort of like a package update thing?

its not Linux, believe it or not, but it comes with DF included with it. uploads at 59% its only 192mb the iso file. I was an idiot and decided to upload it first so its tied up doing that and not being tested, so maybe its wrong, we'll see.

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:22:55 pm »

ok its here
http://www.filedropper.com/wdf4024
now I did indeed make a mistake in the coding and the popup readme:

don't type "start "dwarf fortress.exe"
just type "dwarf fortress.exe" WITH QUOTATION MARKS
then enjoy

please rate it. its still WIP, I had hoped to have it autostart but "start dwarf fortress.exe" starts it inside the cmdprompt (im an idiot I should have foreseen that)so next time ill fix that

oh and theres no saving

quick edit:
you can also type "taskmgr.exe" with or without quotes so see the performance and stuff.
also ALT+TAB is your friend. if you do more stuff than taskmgr and dwarf fortress, then its all your responsibility. running "delete everything.exe" isn't my fault
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:26:54 pm by OddStranger »

Danny McNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:59:17 pm »

Can you post the code? (If that's applicable - I don't know much about isos).

Any way to make it work with saves?

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 03:11:18 pm »

Can you post the code? (If that's applicable - I don't know much about isos).

Any way to make it work with saves?

code? well, there really isn't much "code" at all, I'm just using a lot of resources available to me.

make it work with saves? that requires a lot of actual code then, to juggle the files around from ram, to flash drive and vice versa. I need interest and approval from the developer before I start with that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 05:54:42 pm »

My understanding of the performance issues with DF were that it does not properly utilize computer resources (multi-processor CPU's, for instance). Is that still the case? If so, would your OS be able to circumvent that?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

OddStranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »

My understanding of the performance issues with DF were that it does not properly utilize computer resources (multi-processor CPU's, for instance). Is that still the case? If so, would your OS be able to circumvent that?

no the os im using only uses less "base" ram and "base" cpu useage.

my computer is 32 bit 2 core, 2.3ghz each

although I find it off that both my cpu are being used to half percent somehow(don't know if the taskmanager is lying, or some shenanigans) but the overall cpu useage is ~45% after a few minutes after first migrant wave

right now im also at 933mb ram useage

also to make it clear, this isn't my OS, I didn't program it, im merely using someone elses. thank you Microsoft, you are amazing. I also didn't program DF too, just incase anyone thinks I did.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:20:36 pm by OddStranger »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 06:39:23 pm »

Ptw
as long as you arnt trying to make money off it no one should have ANY Problems with it
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 09:38:40 pm »

You'd have to talk to Toady about that. I remember the Youtube vids making money off of advertising, someone asking Toady about it, and him being okay with it long as the person's not trying to claim DF as their own. You should definitely ask Toady. I might be remembering wrong, or he might have changed his stance even if I'm right about the old ways.
Pages: [1] 2 3