Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: wonderful fort video  (Read 3482 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wonderful fort video
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chaos:
<STRONG>Such is the power of collective/swarm intelligence.

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Chaos ]</STRONG>

It's a little scary really.

How can something with 5 brain cells organize a group of billions, then get them to actually work together and accurately and VERY efficiently design and dig out a cave city?

Kinda weird to think about.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>

It's a little scary really.

How can something with 5 brain cells organize a group of billions, then get them to actually work together and accurately and VERY efficiently design and dig out a cave city?

Kinda weird to think about.</STRONG>

Actually bugs have a very high number of brain cells for their size. In addition to such a high density of brain cells the activity between cells is very high as well. This means that (relative to size) bugs are some of the smartest creatures on the plant. Then when you put a trillion of them into a single ant hill something is going to happen.

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

well whats 5 brains cells * 10^100 or however many ants there are, i wonder if ants get smarter the bigger there colony is. If they do, they are one step above humans who get stupider with higher populations

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

The spinning !!carp!! strikes Torak in the head!  :(

Ants are very much like dwarves indeed, I am quite sure there are ants that make and drink booze, simply because there is so many kinds of ants that for every plausible behavior there is a kind of ant to do it. I actually know a bit about ants, not working whit them but I've read a few books on the subject.
I wonder if there are bearded ants... there probably is.

Ants are indeed very intelligent, everyone knows about the livingstock, but there are ants who use tools (they drop stones on their enemies), as you saw they have ventilation, agriculture, amazing architecture... really everything you can think of.

I don't remember the numbers but I think it is about 20% of the animal biomass that is ants.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

I felt sorry for the ants, but that structure was amazing, besides, one colony out of the (Insert large number here) of colonies of that species of ant, is a worthy sacrifice in the name of science.

Speeeedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

The link isn't working for me   :)

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Speeeedy ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>I most admit you are brave to call the god of blood an idiot, brave, but a fool.</STRONG>

Your constant roleplaying is annoying, and unnecessary.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sphr:
<STRONG>flood a fortress with magma... then pour water... then dig out everything else that isn't newly created obsidian...  yeah, we can do that too.. I don't suppose there're dwarf activists?   :)  looked awsome mined out and in 3d visualiser :)

i have too much free time,,,,

laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Here's a vid I saw a while back of a termite mound.  Some more astonishing architecture, as well as some rather creepy shots of the termite queen...

Plus, a much better narrator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m7odGafpQU&feature=related

Insect activists?  What, because they're so endangered?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Your constant roleplaying is annoying, and unnecessary.</STRONG>
Yes.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

quote:
I am quite sure there are ants that make and drink booze

I think that's why some types of ants farm aphids and put them on leaves to feed. Leaf goes in aphid's mouth, booze comes out aphid's head, ant drinks the sweet, sweet booze...err...honeydew.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

Eusocial animals of all stripes are pure Dwarf Fortress. Watching my axedwarf knock a kobold into a 5-square splatter of gore reminds me fondly of harvester ant majors excitedly wandering the open desert with the body parts of their foes still clamped on their limbs. Order and destruction, the soul of Dwarf Fortress.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

Ants are quite amazing creatures, in my opinion they are only matched by humans in nature. They build HUGE cities of millions, setting up systems to support themselves in numbers larger then what should be possible to be supported in the area.

Know why I think we shouldn't pour cement down their holes?
BECAUSE ANTS SCARE THE BEJEBUS OUT OF ME!
I have been to several places in the world, know what I saw? Huge masses of ants. I've even encountered crazy mutant ants that jump and chase humans. I've seen complex road systems from ants, I've watched a colony kill a 50 year old tree IN SIX MONTHS!
Now think, what happens when you start showing the ants other tools? Here ants, see this? This is how you practice large-scale genocide on a pest.
Next thing you know, some super-mutant ant survives the insectocide and gets it into it's ant-head to do the same to us, and then we are screwed. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE MAN! You cannot escape the ants!
Our only advantage over them is our large size, but to compete, each human has to kill 1000 ants a day!
And they are so damn small, they are sure to slip by you and get you when you sleep...
So you see, if you teach an ant colony genocide, you DAMN WELL BETTER KILL THEM ALL SO NONE LEARN THE LESSON!
*Looks over his shoulder*
Oh my gosh, I think an ant is watching me... OH NO, IT'S COMING FOR ME! RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Necronopticous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Primary Colors
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

I'd just like to say that that video was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

The first thing I thought of when I saw the core of the termite's A/C system was "WTF that's the biggest Heat Sink I've ever seen".  The second one was, "Damn my laptop needs something like that"

Still, I'd have liked to see the termite's sewage system  :(

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered
Pages: 1 [2] 3