Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This tool will help you choose a roguelike to play, using machine learning AI  (Read 1407 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Link to the tool

Essentially, after taking a short survey, the website compares your answers to hundreds of others, and suggests a roguelike based on everyone's favorites.

I made this particular predictor (that's what the website calls them). You can make your own here is you like.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... okay, it successfully predicted that incursion is my favorite roguelike (at a flat 100). Or I guess that it would be the one I would like to the play the most (which would be true, if I hadn't already played the game more or less to death). Color me a bit impressed. Go figure, T4, which is probably my most played in terms of raw game hours, came second. After that it started to break down, though. Also only suggested two I haven't already played, both with 0s, (being fair, I've probably played a literal majority of roguelikes made to date at least a little, even if I've slacked off recently-ish), and gearhead (which between it and GH2 is probably my third place after Inc and T4) wasn't on the list, but still. Kudos to nailing the top spot :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My favoritest Roguelike (Nethack) is far down the list, which makes me sad. But the ones near the top are all ones that I haven't really played (Dungeonmans I've never even heard of, but it got 100.) Cataclysm is up there, which is cool. Unreal World, too, which I like. Will have to check some of these out. Angband isn't on the list, though, that's a classic!

But no, this is WAY SUPER COOL. Artificial Intelligence + Roguelike Recommendations is genius.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It predicted I'd most like a roguelike I've never heard of: Unreal World.

Downloading now, and I'll let you know what I think.

EDIT:
Wow, that's incredibly tedious. Painfully long character /world creation until I eventually just gave up and stopped reading things and mashed buttons to finish, followed by yet more screenfuls of text, followed by an obnoxious movement system where you have to incrementally turn, so moving one step backwards from your current direction of facing takes five keypresses. In a map so full of trees you can't go more than 2-3 steps without needing to turn.

Think I'll pass.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...Well, it gave IVAN (my first Roguelike and still one of my favourites) a score of zero, and ADOM and DF are fairly far down the list. Sil, which I have never played, has a score of 100, so I guess I should check it out. Whatever the case, it's still a really cool gadget. I'm just a vaguely human-shaped mess of contradictions, don't mind me. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

For some reason it put most of my favorites rather low on the list.

CleverSurveys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

...Well, it gave IVAN (my first Roguelike and still one of my favourites) a score of zero, and ADOM and DF are fairly far down the list. Sil, which I have never played, has a score of 100, so I guess I should check it out. Whatever the case, it's still a really cool gadget. I'm just a vaguely human-shaped mess of contradictions, don't mind me. :P

It looks like nobody picked IVAN as their favorite yet, so it defaults to a score of 0.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

oooh, neat.

My only complaint is the initial question asking how many hours of roguelike experience do I have. I don't keep track of time spent playing games and have no clue what a good estimate would be.

Spoiler: results (click to show/hide)

Predicted my favorite would be Dungeonmans. Never heard of. Unreal World had 98%, which I had tried before but didn't get into. Too technical. DoomRL is 80%, accurate since I do quite like DoomRL. Dwarf Fort at 75%, I'd say accurate. DCSS is at 50%, I did quite like DCSS but haven't played it in a while after I didn't like where the devs were going with it. ADOM at 50% and Nethack at 45%, I did have a Nethack phase but haven't played it in a while and I'd say I like ADOM more than just 5% more than Nethack. C:DDA at 40%, accurate, I play C:DDA occasionally but not as much as my preferred roguelikes. Incursion at 33%, have played it but not too deeply. Did like what I played. Sil at 15%, I'd rate it higher, I liked it more and played it more than Incursion, for example.

My favorite roguelike is ADOM, I'd guess. No, wait, I quite like DoomRL ... Choosing a favorite is hard, lots of roguelikes I like are good at what they do.

I'll fill out the thing to help make it more accurate. Neat tool you got here.

EDIT: couple suggestions I'd give, maybe add an option for graphics preference. I hate graphics tiles in roguelikes and prefer ascii. If there isn't an ascii option I don't play for long. Also maybe add some more roguelike options if possible. Like Angband. Or Moria.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:37:46 am by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

It said I'd like Dungeonmans the most, which kinda looks like trash. And the ones I know I really like are very far down. Especially DoomRL.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Looked at Dungeonmans. Eeeeew, graphical tiles. No ascii. Instantly hate it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

The graphics for dungeonmans are indeed kinda' so-so (and was indeed a turn off, initially), but the game itself is actually pretty solid. I'd probably recommend giving it a try -- there's an old kickstarter build floating around, looking at it, insofar as legal options go (though it's a fair bit behind the current version insofar as content goes, apparently). Think if I was trying to summarize it, I'd call it something roughly in between ToME4 and Dungeons of Dreadmor, with a bit of a succession mechanic added in (sorta' like rogue legacy, actually). It is commercial, though, which may or may not be an issue. Forget what the price point is.

Also, it had some sort of music album released over on OC Remix at some point that might be worth checking out. Some alright bits of song.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:02:32 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My favoritest Roguelike (Nethack) is far down the list, which makes me sad. But the ones near the top are all ones that I haven't really played (Dungeonmans I've never even heard of, but it got 100.) Cataclysm is up there, which is cool. Unreal World, too, which I like. Will have to check some of these out. Angband isn't on the list, though, that's a classic!

But no, this is WAY SUPER COOL. Artificial Intelligence + Roguelike Recommendations is genius.

I completely forgot to add Angband when I was making the survey. That's just an oversight on my part.

I thought people would appreciate a roguelike recommender! I also made one for Dwarf Fortress a while back: Dwarf Fortress: Fortress Mode Challenge and Goal

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My list right here. Heard of most of these games, might actually give a few of these a go if I remember :P