Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Goblin Siege  (Read 1471 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
First Goblin Siege
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:00:00 am »

I finaly made it so far in my fort that i got a goblin siege.
Lost 9 good dwarves in the process, and 5 more injured.

Still it was a awsome battle and blood everywhere. The fight occured in my main 5 tile wide corridors with all my dwarves battle ready and waiting inside the doors for the goblins to enter.

My next task is to improve the defence of the Fortress placeing more year around X-Bow dwarves behind fortifications looking out.

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Goblin Siege
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

You're lucky. my first siege ended in one death and two injuries.

But, the one death was my awesome elite marksdwarf. His team abandoned him halfway through to go to bed  :(

obles make fine firewood.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:13:00 am »

Ok. Need to replan... Lost 40!!!! dwarves this sigie. Redesign in progress. Next time i will flood the main corridor with magma...
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

70% of casualties seem to be from the broken bow/crossbow damage. Set the damage from 100 to 50 in the raw files, and you will be able to use dwarves to defend your fortress. I've done this, and given my dwarves heavy armor, and I can take sieges now, what with my 24 champions.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ravendas:
<STRONG>70% of casualties seem to be from the broken bow/crossbow damage. Set the damage from 100 to 50 in the raw files, and you will be able to use dwarves to defend your fortress. I've done this, and given my dwarves heavy armor, and I can take sieges now, what with my 24 champions.</STRONG>

Yeah, they fire those arrows and bolts like they were wielding machine guns with AP rounds or something. Turning the damage down does improve sieges though, so that you don't have to rely solely on traps and siege engines to counter marksmen who you know will annihilate your troops if they get too close.

HoD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

im a 40k and fallout fan, I love the damage crossbow's do. Dress my military up in steel plate armour, shield, crossbow, steel bolts and not many goblins get to go home.
hat?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

Crossbows really are that powerful. A decent bolt from a decent crossbow isn't stopped by mere plate armor or a shield. That's why you use fortifications.   ;)

Be glad the gobbos don't use gastraphetes. Me, I'd like to see humans employ those... Then again, my siege-weapons fetish is widely known.   :p

I lost my entire army of six, as well as eleven civilians and two mules and two dogs to a goblin force of eleven. The dwarves don't fight all that intelligently... But I had something the goblins didn't - prisoners. I took eight of the goblins prisoner, and made them wish they'd died in the fighting.

Mue he he he. Makes you wish you could build a torture chamber...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

If being burned to death in magma counts as torture, you can. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Even if a bolt does not pentrate an armour, the guts will turn into mashed potatoes.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

I got the idea to put a gobbo on a rope, and have puny weapons traps in the eight squares around it, so that he'd run around and around and get slowly cut to death.

Unfortunately he just stayed in the middle square and caused my entire fortress to grind to a halt because all the dwarves wet their pants from seeing him. I couldn't even get the military near him.

It solved itself when a wild animal wandered in and across the traps and they both died.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.