Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: War of the Planets : Human thread : Research Q3 2025  (Read 13873 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
War of the Planets : Human thread : Research Q3 2025
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »

You're humanities first and last line of defense. While the militaries of Earth are willing to fight, they are neither equiped to fight nor informed off the danger. The organisation has been founded by a single nation, and it is essential that you convince the other nations to join you in your fight, as you will not be able to hold your ground alone. You have been granted a budget, and can start designing weaponry soon.

The OOC thread for this game is here, and you should probably read it. However, the basic rules are that each year you get to design a weapon (or piece of equipment), revise that design (or revise a different existing one), invent something and then everything goes into production, and you can try to manipulate the battles.

The human forces contain :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The situation on Earth is the following :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:30:42 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:00:10 pm »

Choose your starting nation :

A) North America : Bonus : Aerospace Technologies (Development bonus)
B) South America : Bonus : Mechanical Ears of the world (Occasionally get a research credit)
C) Europe : Bonus : Human Brain Project ( Development bonus)
D) Africa Bonus : Plentiful resources (Occasionally get a revision credit)
E) Russia Bonus : Soviet Surplus (Start with 4 designs)
F) Japan Bonus : Robotics (Development bonus)
G) China Bonus : Mass Production  (Ocassionally get a production credit)
I) Other

In addition, you get to list 3 existing or planned projects which will be your starting designs. Steal from the wiki, or be convincing and make something up.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:13:30 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 05:00:51 pm »

Reserve

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »

D) Africa.

Let Africa save that "developed" world.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »

Hmmm, I kinda want to suggest Antarctica. The bonus can be absolute silence, we may occasionally gain an espionage credit!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:19:26 pm »

10ebbor10 Can we be Israel? Or is it too small?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:22:01 pm »

10ebbor10 Can we be Israel? Or is it too small?
Sure. Why not?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:24:34 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:08:09 pm »

My more serious suggestion

Israel

Designs:
1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(missile)  - including fusions warhead. IF GM is kind enough he can give us some new ballistic missile from the family.
2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%27ar_5-class_corvette  - including subsystems
3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkava#Merkava_Mark_IV - Non-existing Mark 5 is not something I will object.

1 will give us the most powerful weapon of humanity and experience in ballistic weapons to launch spacecrafts
2 will give us a way to shoot down enemy ufos all over the world
3 will give us starting experience for designing ground vehicles.

Lack of aircraft and infantry weapons isn't something I like, but we need to choose something.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »

+1, If they're technologically advanced enough to be able to travel through space, our best hope is probably just to be able to destroy their landing craft before or just after they land so whatever crazy thing they come down with can't come out. Jericho missiles are probably our best bet for doing that, and the Merkeva is a good choice if we can't. I'm not so sure about the Sa'ar though, it does come with a lot of bells and whistles but a good interceptor like the F-35 might be a more immediately useful choice.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:17 pm »

I considered F-35, but Saar gives better force projection and I think it has higher chances to detect and shoot down advanced crafts. Without good radar, F-35s may be be useless.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 09:08:40 pm »

Actually, that raises a good question. GM, how much existing military infrastructure do we have use of? It won't matter if the F-35 doesn't have good onboard radar if we can just use the existing ground-based installations.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:15 pm »

I'll vote for G) China
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 11:51:44 pm »

Actually I want to vote for Japan just for the robotics.

- Atago Class "Destroyer" /w Aegis combat system
- Lockheed-Martin F35A Lightning II Multirole
- Type-10 MBT

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 02:29:18 am »

I don't want Japan or USA because suggestions games are soooo bad for focussing in one field

10ebbo10, what bonus can we get from Israel?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 02:43:28 am »

I don't want Japan or USA because suggestions games are soooo bad for focussing in one field

10ebbo10, what bonus can we get from Israel?
Unless we go along the biological route we can't be wrong about robotics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16