Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: War of the Planets : Human thread : Research Q3 2025  (Read 13845 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Revision Q1 2025
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2015, 11:36:24 am »

Revise J-31 by improving\replacing its engine, electronics and radar. Ask Japan and South Korea to help us. Try to keep the cost the same

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:02 pm »

Giving our ground troops a fighting chance seems more important to me than improving our fighters right now.
Design new small arms rounds (for currently-used PLA weaponry) optimized against the Alien Warriors' carapace.
This hopefully counts as a revision since we're simply modifying ammunition for existing weapons, but we'll need Ebbor's confirmation on that. If it can't be done, +1 to UR's J-31 improvements
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2015, 12:31:54 pm »

I don't think that better small arms bullets will have a noticeable impact. Assault rifles\machineguns are still far inferior to lasers.

Not letting them to land gives us more chances to actually hurt them and I prefer to focus on that for this turn. Also J-31s used for ground support can deal with their armored infantry.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »

Changing ammunition fits into a revision action. Modifying the entire weapon fits into it as well.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2015, 05:23:14 pm »

To speed things up.

The plan
Making holes in carapaces and Getting allies.

Spoiler: Revision (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: research (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: reasoning (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2015, 05:22:50 am »

I can get behind that.
+1 to all of the above.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2015, 07:15:26 am »

Any other votes\proposals?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2015, 08:50:38 am »

Hmm. Adding Anti-Laser theory to the research might be pushing it a bit, but it'd be very nice if we could get it. Maybe as it in as an extension in case we get a good roll?

Also, we should probably beware of hurting the prestige of whoever is in charge of Russia at the moment by implying they would be incapable of defending themselves (but anything can backfire so it's worth a shot). Maybe ask India if they say no?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2015, 08:56:23 am »

How about Australia and NZ? IRL its the only really "friendly" country in the whole Asia-pacific Region.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2015, 09:14:43 am »

I think researching laser implies some insight in anti-laser armor that we may use in the next design. Furthermore I prefer low-tech anti-laser armor for our first vehicle because we want to produce a lot of them. Water layer in armor and smoke generators are good enough for the first generation of vehicles. If we will be lucky in laser theory then another possibility arises - Stationary air-defence lasers powered by compact nuclear reactors. I don't think that HX-1 will stay deadly for a long time. Revising some laser to our special unit (submarine) is another thing that we may do in future.

As for trying to go for India. I am not a fan of many "if then" in an action. We order our loyal and diplomatic general to negotiate with Russia. If he fails, then he stays in his current position and next turn we may try again with India or Central Asia or South America or Australia and NZ or whatever. Russia is a major military power and getting alliance with them will boost our abilities.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2015, 12:39:19 pm »

I'm fine with all of that, but I think patrolling Russian territory is a bit premature before we've made an arrangement with them. They're capable enough to leave be for now, and it spreads our troops too thinly IMO.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2015, 10:21:07 am »

Revision : Extreme high power Rounds

A series of rounds designed for higher efficiency against the alien invaders, noted for being considerably more powerful and destructive. However, they tend to inflict serious wear on the current generation of guns utilizing them.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2015, 10:46:10 am »

South East Asia Production Line 1 :Produce anti-alien ammunition and standard 12.7mm PLA machineguns\sniper rifles and supply Chinise(25% of produced) South American(50%) and African(25%) armies for free. 

10ebbor10, is this production action legal? Will it have any effect? Do we have any need to produce ammunition?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2015, 02:55:53 am »

Yes. No. Yes, but not this ammo.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:15 am »

Research :

Study enemy lasers and laser theory.

Progress goes slow. Most of the lasers recovered (not many) were damaged, and what we could discover didn't help that much. While we understand the basic principle of their laser weaponry, we can, at this time, not replicate the compact power source. In addition, combat observation indicates that the laser heat up tremendously while firing. Not a problem for the aliens, but any of our systems will need a rather big cooling system.

Gained : Primitive laser technology

Production

China Production Line 1 : J31 [5] >  To China protection force
China Production Line 2  : HQ-9\HX-1 [2] > to China protection force
China Production Line 3 : Type 095 Submarine [1/1]
East Asian Production Line 1 : HQ-9\HX-1 [2] > To East Asian Russian protection force
South East Asia Production Line 1 : Produce anti-alien ammunition and standard 12.7mm PLA machineguns\sniper rifles and supply Chinise(25% of produced) South American(50%) and African(25%) armies for free. 
If this action is illegal then produce 2 more HX-1 for China protection force

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:57:11 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16