Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When do attacks start?  (Read 902 times)

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When do attacks start?
« on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

Just curious: when do attacks start happening?  I'm in my third year with 90 dwarves (and a mayor etc) and I haven't yet seen an attack by more then 2 enemies at a time.  One ratman from the chasm pops up periodically, but that's no big deal.  When will I have to worry about sieges?  When will the chasm heat up?  Magma men?

Thetwodud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When do attacks start?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

From my experience, they all seem pretty random. Goblin seiges may start happening within a year of getting the mayor (they tend to for me). As for the chasm and magma, my current fortress is on its tenth or so year and has yet to provoke anything major from either (maybe a mole dog or a troll once in a while).

All I can recommend is patience, the goblins will come to destroy you on their watch.

[ August 24, 2007: Message edited by: Thetwodud ]

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

River, magma, and chasm attacks happen essentially randomly; chasming refuse can increase the odds of getting a chasm attack though.

Sieges will happen once your fort has either a mayor or a trade minister.

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

I was getting ridiculously frequent and large ratmen attacks at my dwarf fort, though part of that may have been due to individual ratmen popping up and being unable to get into my fort through the doors which controlled access to the chasm (The bridges crossing it had railings). The peculiar thing is that I had done no chasming of any sort, and no flooding into the chasm until I got sick of their constant attacks.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

UrbanWanderer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »

I've been channeling water into the chasm on my current fort. Nonstop ratman attacks so far.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

Lemme clarify this:
Chasming things greatly increases the chance and size of a chasm attack.

After chasming like 100 pieces of goblin clothes, I managed to get like 200 ratmen to attack during the span of a year, including from my well at a magma flow outpost (Surprised me there, I didn't think they could ambush from wells).

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>Lemme clarify this:
Chasming things greatly increases the chance and size of a chasm attack.

After chasming like 100 pieces of goblin clothes, I managed to get like 200 ratmen to attack during the span of a year, including from my well at a magma flow outpost (Surprised me there, I didn't think they could ambush from wells).</STRONG>

Chasm creatures can come out of wells past the chasm apparently. I've had a giant spider pop out of a well near my magma river and mess up a lot of stuff before it was taken down. They are furniture destroyers.

I also get antman attacks out of another well near the magma, but for whatever reason they almost always come out with mental illnesses. Berserk or melancholy, don't know why.