Start from scratch for YG-lite
- 3 (9.1%)
Do both
- 5 (15.2%)
Do both
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241

Author Topic: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]  (Read 240635 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]
« Reply #3585 on: October 26, 2015, 05:28:26 pm »

No problem. It's a perfectly understandable situation.

Anyway, on a personal note, I wouldn't particularly mind if the game was on a "holidays only" schedule. Maybe update whenever you have a long break? That way it might feel more like a relaxed off time activity for when you actually have off time instead of some type of obligation. That might be even easier on you than continuing it with simplified rules while you're already busy with other stuff.

Not sure how anyone else would feel about that though.

All that aside, glad you at least had enough time to go on the forum. I always feel a little sad when someone I'm familiar with disappears completely. :-\
Not that it was really that long but still. :P
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: October 26, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »

Would anyone be up for a Wikipedia arena style God game? Your gods spheres would be based off random Wikipedia articles. Your goal will to be to reach certain mile stones to get more spheres. The end game would be to kill all other gods.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3587 on: October 26, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »

hector13 (and most everyone): YG-lite will likely emphasize sphere stuff a lot and de-emphasize the numbers parts in YG2. Combat will likely borrow from some simple free system (probably Savage Worlds? The free test drive version is comprehensive enough, and exploding dice allow for reasonably frequent exciting outcomes) to avoid the utterly unimmersive rock-paper-scissors variant used at one point to handle complicated messes in which >5 players swarmed on one thing. Actually, here's a little preliminary design document to be expanded bit by bit:
Spoiler: YG-lite thoughts (click to show/hide)

gman8181:
Holiday-only schedule: The main problem with that is that taken together, the stuff that can be done during holidays has a very high distraction factor (distractionation? distractivity?) compared to YG stuff. When there are things with lower distraction factors such as schoolwork, updating YG becomes favorable assuming there's enough time.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #3588 on: October 26, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »

Fair enough.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: October 26, 2015, 08:06:45 pm »

Would anyone be up for a Wikipedia arena style God game? Your gods spheres would be based off random Wikipedia articles. Your goal will to be to reach certain mile stones to get more spheres. The end game would be to kill all other gods.

I just used
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Random
for the hell of seeing how that could go.

I'm now struggling to think of how I might RP a god with the sphere of
"1938 European Athletics Championships – Women's 4 × 100 metres relay".

Jokes aside, I think that might be a little too subject to chance for my personal tastes.

hector13 (and most everyone): YG-lite will likely emphasize sphere stuff a lot and de-emphasize the numbers parts in YG2. Combat will likely borrow from some simple free system (probably Savage Worlds? The free test drive version is comprehensive enough, and exploding dice allow for reasonably frequent exciting outcomes) to avoid the utterly unimmersive rock-paper-scissors variant used at one point to handle complicated messes in which >5 players swarmed on one thing. Actually, here's a little preliminary design document to be expanded bit by bit:

gman8181:
Holiday-only schedule: The main problem with that is that taken together, the stuff that can be done during holidays has a very high distraction factor (distractionation? distractivity?) compared to YG stuff. When there are things with lower distraction factors such as schoolwork, updating YG becomes favorable assuming there's enough time.

Gotcha regarding the holiday stuff. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Regarding your ideas for the lite version... Whatever works best for you? Being unfamiliar with to what extent exactly you're comfortable running the game and how much time each of those feature changes would save or cost you... I'm not entirely sure what input I should provide.

As far as how much each change would effect my enjoyment of the game... Let's see...

Spoiler: Balance (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sandbox (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Theme (click to show/hide)
Sure thing peanut man!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:20 pm »

Anthromorphic that's gods that look like humans?

...would a human who became a god be anthropomorphic?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: October 27, 2015, 12:03:37 pm »

Use actions/Tick system instead of allowing essentially unlimited actions? Likely makes updates of O(n) complexity rather than the current O(n2) (Leaning toward 4-8 action points/Tick with major actions costing at least 2)
I recommend one major action and two minor per turn. Though care may need to be taken to satisfactorily define what fall under minor and major actions
Update only on holidays and off times? Updating YG is a lower priority when there's more time and media of entertainment...
No
Limit player count? I really dislike this option, this is only a last-resort thing
Do this. If it bothers you, have high player turnover.
Downgrade to 2-stat system (health/Ichor and money/Essence)
The one stat only system that I believe was used in YG1 seems fine.
Remove cap growth? Players become more powerful over time simply through having more creations anyway (and this adds emphasis to artifacts)
This one can go either way for me. One possibility is to remove the cap entirely.
Keep collaborator requirements for many of the more typical projects? Probably not if sphere effects are expanded
Probably not needed.
Keep collaborator requirements for many-sphere megaprojects? Probably, regardless of changes in sphere effect
May be wise.
Change break-even factor? Currently 5, but 3 may simplify things
I'd prefer a smaller number yes.
Should there be sphere restrictions? A god with a sphere of "gods" or "game rules" would be absurd, but where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable?
The only real defining line should be "too meta". Anything else should be fair game, but more broad spheres giving less effect or whatever.
Should I patch overpowered things more slowly and with input?
I kind of want to see overpowered things wreck the game a bit. Makes for interesting play instead of just sandbox empire building.
How many gods working how hard should be allowed to incapacitate another? I probably erred on the side of caution for YG2
One
What proportion of players is needed to create player content enforced on the remainder? (e.g. ashtray factory afterlife that grabs from all races and turns them into ashtrays)
One-three, but enforcement can be overturned.
Should acting be more emphasized or should reacting be more emphasized?
Both
Should I place a delay on allowing combats to be revealed publicly if we manage to return to a 24h schedule (or some close approximation like 48h)?
Clarify please
Switch from Ticks to an explicit time unit?
This one can go either way. I'd like either one.
Is it still a god game at this point? Why not just a mage game? (I seem to sense lots of vocal support for magic stuff :P)
Godly Mages is a game I'd be down for, but a way to emphasize the god part is A) Acts on a cosmic scale, creation of worlds, creation of people, creation of rips in reality from which cosmic horrors pour forth etc and B) More focus on worship.
How much technological advancement stuff does everyone like anyway? Advancing from single-celledness to many-celledness is not a priority for YG players, but developing (magi)tech seems to be one
It is a priority yes. Make sure to include stuff for that.
How can I make worldbuilding an ongoing thing? It's a high-value thing but tends to slow down or stop after the first few ticks
Instead of creating entire worlds, people can only create a continent or so at a time. Make overpopulation an actual issue.
Who wants one world to build on and who wants many worlds to build on?
I'd prefer a lot of floating continents
Do we need antagonists explicitly marked as such like in Demonic Spoon's game?
Not really necessary, it's something gimmicky I came up with.
Should gods be more anthropomorphic or less? (Currently, they are very, very anthropomorphic)
Both less and more.
Demigods and godchildren: Is there any hope of allowing this that has little chance of causing the game to be shut down? I'd bet six jars of peanut butter there's more than one game somewhere here somewhen that involves bloodlines/dynasties anyway
Including this simply dilutes game focus, don't.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:14:40 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13:33 pm »

Anthromorphic that's gods that look like humans?

...would a human who became a god be anthropomorphic?
He means the gods are very like humans on the inside, their personality and motivations etc. if not necessarily appearance or origin.

Acting vs Reacting... Could you elaborate? I like acting but I do think it tends to clutter up the thread if done excessively, which seems to kind of happen sometimes. I'm guessing you probably have to sort through all that, which makes more work for you. Also, I'm pretty sure I've noticed quite a few players who aren't very good at bolding actions to make them easily distinguishable from the rest of the fluff they write. Bolding might make it easier for you to skim things if you want, so maybe acting with stricter enforcement of bolding? Not entirely sure if I understand the question though.
Acting: More clearly labelled Pro-active, doing stuff instead of waiting for other people to do stuff and reacting to that, he's not talking about roleplaying here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: October 27, 2015, 03:07:55 pm »

Spoiler: Balance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sandbox (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Theme (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: October 27, 2015, 07:12:44 pm »

Ahh pro-active. Gotcha. I'd like to make the weak argument that I'd probably pick up on the context clues there if I hadn't written that at such a late hour. :P

In that case both, I'll edit the original post later for better coherency and keeping my ideas a little more organized.
Sure thing peanut man!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: October 28, 2015, 01:07:24 am »

My thoughts/comments in orange:
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: October 28, 2015, 02:59:19 am »

Change break-even factor? Currently 5, but 3 may simplify things What does this mean?
How long it takes you to recoup the essence invested into something. Mostly applicable to creating worshipers.
        Do we need antagonists explicitly marked as such like in Demonic Spoon's game? Which game? No, it makes no sense to add black-and-white morality to beings that live and breathe blue-and-orange.
This one. It isn't so much a question of morality as of ensuring conflict for a more interesting game.

Honestly I could have set up my system better, but it's good enough for now.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:00:52 am by Demonic Spoon »

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3597 on: October 28, 2015, 06:27:45 pm »

AbstractTraitorHero: Anthropomorphic as used refers to behavior. As it is, most aren't terribly different from something along the lines of humans with physics cheat codes. (I'm fine with however this goes, but I just thought it a bit odd that acting as a thinking embodiment of one's sphere(s) wasn't the norm. Although the exaggerated maybe-not-entirely-IC craziness does get old rather quickly.)

Humans who become gods would likely demonstrate anthropomorphic behavior regardless of what form they ended up taking.

Spoiler: Balance: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sandbox: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Theme: (click to show/hide)
(Slow) work is in progress on both a new Lesser Book of Information and T12. I hope to post T12 by the end of the week and begin converting the YG2 materials since it seems like even the holiday option may not be enough (i.e. Tick updates monthly or so).

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: October 28, 2015, 08:38:13 pm »

On the subject of demigods and children of gods, I think you're worrying a bit much. Sex is not a banned idea from the boards; just don't get into explicit detail. "And the Wind Goddess lay with the man, and thusly from such union were the clouds formed in the sky and the great blowing of the eastern wind echoes her speech in their courtship."

I mean, hell, look at all the stuff PrivateNomad and Co. run...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: October 30, 2015, 08:22:21 am »

Regarding the latest poll, I'd like if at least some element of the current game is preserved as I did put quite some time into it.

I'm hoping I can still make the tree idea I had. Basically phoenix trees that burst into massive firestorms periodically. They also play music because I thought that'd be cool. Then I place them at the poles of the various planets.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241