Start from scratch for YG-lite
- 3 (9.1%)
Do both
- 5 (15.2%)
Do both
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 241

Author Topic: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]  (Read 240924 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 2 OOC (~24h to T2) [23/137] [Sign-ups go here]
« Reply #1590 on: September 02, 2015, 02:07:29 pm »

Oh, I thought you mean as in, magic is currently in the OP, as in overpowered, as in, in the overpowered category.

Ya, I realized that after I found your magics. I think they are plenty balanced already.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 02, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »

Wait, so the spirralions are bugged by mosquitoes?

Why not invent the mosquito repellent spirals?
I mean, this can't just simply be a coincidence, I think KJP is directing us.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:01 pm »

No, no he didn't. He just tossed around a bunch of terms and pretended that they did. It really isn't worth your time, KJP.

I completely agree with that. As his channels' name implies, everything he does is theories. He shouldn't be relied on for anything serious. I remember when Five nights at Freddy's games were being released that he would constantly make theories about the games which always ended up being wrong. So basically that guy is entertainment, not answers.
I'd suggest asking xkcd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 02, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »

Andres: The same natural laws that would presumably knock the participants back, incinerate them or their surroundings, blind them, or perhaps even irradiate them lethally? :P
Well, there are two ways this problem can be answered. The first is that it's magic so it won't do this stuff to the user. The second is that the user needs to have mastered plasmamancy enough to protect themselves from these effects. For simplicity's sake, I'm gonna go with the first way of answering.

While I don't particularly care about violating natural law in YG2 (else there wouldn't be any magic or it would be more expensive), I think you may be overestimating the real life developmental state/utility of weaponized plasma a bit.
It's less about the utility of RL weaponised plasma and more about the physics of plasma themselves. I just wanted to point out that it's not 100% law-breaking and that it does adhere to at least a few natural laws.

From their perspective, its "I'm shooting a fireball!". Nothing more. They do not understand the smaller things about it. They don't understand how it works yet. They don't understand how plasma works. They don't even understand how magic works.

Why would they know how all these things work?
The gods know that magic is sourced from ambient energy (presumably from their experience with creating schools) and they could've just told mortals how they worked. As for the paragraph before that, I was just suggesting ways that magiteknology could go in the future. Sure the average Joe wouldn't figure it out but a master who's studied it for long enough to understand what it is would. As for how they'd figure it out: magic. Either plasmamancy on its own or with some libromancy to assist.

Human's aren't fireproof
By that logic, the only way anyone can be a proper pyromancer or electromancer is if they have the Fireproof trait. I highly doubt that the trait is necessary to use fire magic.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 02, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »

Well, there are two ways this problem can be answered. The first is that it's magic so it won't do this stuff to the user. The second is that the user needs to have mastered plasmamancy enough to protect themselves from these effects. For simplicity's sake, I'm gonna go with the first way of answering.

He is saying in DBZ. Your pretending DBZ is possible in real life. He is saying all those effects would happen to the fighters in a realistic setting  ::).

It's less about the utility of RL weaponised plasma and more about the physics of plasma themselves. I just wanted to point out that it's not 100% law-breaking and that it does adhere to at least a few natural laws.

It is 100% physics breaking and doesn't adhere to any natural laws....

The gods know that magic is sourced from ambient energy (presumably from their experience with creating schools) and they could've just told mortals how they worked. As for the paragraph before that, I was just suggesting ways that magiteknology could go in the future. Sure the average Joe wouldn't figure it out but a master who's studied it for long enough to understand what it is would. As for how they'd figure it out: magic. Either plasmamancy on its own or with some libromancy to assist.

Maybe, but do you know what magic really is? What is this ambient energy? Where does it come from? Why does it work the way it does? What are the hidden schools? Your God doesn't know much about it in the end. And neither would they. No, you where not. You literally said "Semi-soon", like "Oh, maybe a couple of ticks!". That isn't in the future. They don't know how it works now (And you implied they did), and as KJP said they are more likely to not look into it any more, actively hindering rather than helping.

By that logic, the only way anyone can be a proper pyromancer or electromancer is if they have the Fireproof trait. I highly doubt that the trait is necessary to use fire magic.

How so? You can shoot a fireball without getting near it. If you sustain a flame for long enough to melt metal in a controlled way, while staying whiten several feet of that burning plasma the entire time, you are gonna burn to death if you don't resist heat. Plus, if you can resist heat, you can just dip it in magma or something. A fire-mage setting himself on fire isn't going to walk around like nothing is happening.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 02, 2015, 08:28:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 02, 2015, 08:30:08 pm »

Theoretically, a pyromancer or plasmurgist could manipulate the emission direction of the resulting heat away from them.
That's at least middling-level though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 02, 2015, 08:35:23 pm »

Theoretically, a pyromancer or plasmurgist could manipulate the emission direction of the resulting heat away from them.

Then they would have to keep up an advanced spell for days to get the work done. And the risk of accidents would be absurdly high.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 02, 2015, 08:36:08 pm »

Then they would have to keep up an advanced spell for days to get the work done. And the risk of accidents would be absurdly high.
I'm sorry, what are we trying to do with this magic?
Sigtext

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 02, 2015, 08:37:41 pm »

Smith hard-to-smith metal.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:19 pm »

You literally said "Semi-soon", like "Oh, maybe a couple of ticks!". That isn't in the future. They don't know how it works now (And you implied they did)
They were suggestions. Sorry if it seemed like anything else.

as KJP said they are more likely to not look into it any more, actively hindering rather than helping.
KJP said that the theory of conservation of mass and energy would take longer to develop as a result of plasmamancy's existence. He said nothing about the application and mechanics of plasmamancy being hindered as a result of plasmamancy's existence.

A plasmamancer is someone who does stuff with plasma. A plasmurgist is someone that does divine magic. But yeah, I'm guessing a plasmamancer could probably do that. Actually, this gives me an idea of how a hadouken could be done, though this is purely fluff and I'm not sure if that's how plasmamancers actually do it or if it even physically makes sense.

First, cup the hands together. Then start forming a plasma ball in the middle. Redirect the resulting heat away from the hands and back into the ball, making it even more powerful. Once it's done, just point and release. For a kamehameha, continue creating plasma after firing, focusing on quantity rather than control because the ionised air provides a good, stable conduit and will control it for you.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:42:45 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 02, 2015, 08:46:17 pm »

Weeeeellll.  If you have containment, you could just avoid having the caster be in the same area as the spell.
Sigtext

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: September 02, 2015, 08:49:34 pm »

Weeeeellll.  If you have containment, you could just avoid having the caster be in the same area as the spell.

Speaking of which, does this school have a specified range? That might be a solution, having the caster summon plasma away from himself.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: September 02, 2015, 09:05:33 pm »

KJP said that the theory of conservation of mass and energy would take longer to develop as a result of plasmamancy's existence. He said nothing about the application and mechanics of plasmamancy being hindered as a result of plasmamancy's existence.

Also, magic doesn't provide knowledge of its principles automatically. Depending on the availability and forms of magic, it can also end up hindering closer examination of mundane phenomena through the excuse "it's just magic"....:

^ Yeah, he did. Pretty much. That wasn't an all inclusive list, it was a set of examples. They probably won't figure out anything about plasma because they associate plasma with magic. Why bother looking into the particle makeup of a magic missile?

A plasmamancer is someone who does stuff with plasma. A plasmurgist is someone that does divine magic. But yeah, I'm guessing a plasmamancer could probably do that. Actually, this gives me an idea of how a hadouken could be done, though this is purely fluff and I'm not sure if that's how plasmamancers actually do it or if it even physically makes sense.

*Sigh* Can't you make things that aren't expies? Plasmancy is already expiliciose enough.

But then you couldn't shape the metal, and could only melt it. A pile of melted metal isn't any better than metal filled rocks.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: September 02, 2015, 09:07:23 pm »

All this debating about magic stuff reminded me why I never created any type of magic in YG1 and why I only encouraged my race to work with Universal, Divine and Cosmic magic... It was simple. Universal could do pretty much anything that any other magic school could do with enough practice. Cosmic could attempt to do what gods did on a smaller scale and Divine seemed to attempt to do what gods could do on a smaller scale with the help of a god.

Now I look at the current magics and just go bleh. I guess some of those original magics sort of got transferred over with the current Metamagic/Thaumaturgy/Plasmurgy/Creation/Divine Magic but it seriously feels like magic became over complicated suddenly.

I didn't join this game to think so hard or to ponder the application of real natural laws, hypothetically real natural laws, half real - half gamey natural laws and completely gamey natural laws.

Seriously, I've been left with no choice. I'm just recreating Universal Magic and Divine Magic and keeping my life simple! :P
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 241