Start from scratch for YG-lite
- 3 (9.1%)
Do both
- 5 (15.2%)
Do both
- 2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 241

Author Topic: Ye Gods 2 OOC [31/137] [Sign-ups go here]  (Read 241553 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods 2 OOC (~24h to T2) [23/137] [Sign-ups go here]
« Reply #1410 on: August 30, 2015, 10:21:01 pm »

Alright, so, 90% of the population work on farms. Who makes the tools? Who distributes the tools? Who mills the grain? Who deals with disputes? Who makes new houses for the people being born and growing up? Who deals with the dead? Who worships their God(the Theater Troupes, is my guess, there, actually)? Who guards from wild beasts? Who makes the clothes? Who mines the metal? Who cuts the wood? Who has enough leftover crop to sustain these performers?

Plus, singing is also a type of performance, and one you can do while working the fields, at that. :D
People make their own tools, or buy them, or barter for them...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:18 pm »

Alright, so, 90% of the population work on farms. Who makes the tools? Who distributes the tools? Who mills the grain? Who deals with disputes? Who makes new houses for the people being born and growing up? Who deals with the dead? Who worships their God(the Theater Troupes, is my guess, there, actually)? Who guards from wild beasts? Who makes the clothes? Who mines the metal? Who cuts the wood? Who has enough leftover crop to sustain these performers?

Plus, singing is also a type of performance, and one you can do while working the fields, at that. :D

One guy named Gary. Everyone loves Gary.

We are looking at Roman-era. It only takes one guy to make tools for hundreds of farmers, the farmers mill their own grain (Because what else are they going to do after harvest time?), they deal with their own disputes (It isn't like Law was a huge part of many ancient's lives...), they make their own houses (Barn' raising, of course.), the town probably deals with the dead themselves or lets priests do it, priests worship Gods (Which gives plenty of time to do theater stuff that their God asked them to do  ::))), they guard themselves from wild beasts, they make their own cloths, miners mine metal (Not like you need a huge amount of miners to get a bunch of metal), everyone cuts their own wood, everyone else has enough extra crop (~15:1 max Roman era yield, from Wikipedia) so most Farmers.

Basically they are very independent creatures who do everything themselves  ::).

I also forgot to mention Winters, where nobody would have anything to do, and plenty of time for hobbies like theater.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 30, 2015, 10:33:28 pm »

No, actually, we aren't. Iron Age ends around Roman times. We're early iron age. Which, depending on area, goes back around 1200 B.C. So we're actually around Greek level technology.

Dealing with one's own disputes can often result in fights. Rarely a good idea. Where are these towns coming from? They have time to fight wild beasts while working in the fields? I mean, in Greece, which admittedly had poor soil for farming, 80% of population farmed. And they still only had theaters in the largest cities. Who gets the dyes for the theater clothes? Those aren't just lying everywhere, ya know. Not if you want a variety.

In winters, you tend the animals and you shiver and you hope the firewood and the grain lasts and that nobody gets sick and dies.

Mostly, I'm thinking these travelling theater troupes, though. That needs...a lot. Plus people willing to barter for the performance so the Theater Troupe can practice and actually travel. A Travelling Theater Troupe, with 5,000 people living essentially in the entirety of their society, if they were really motivated? Sure, maybe. Multiple? Not gonna work. Economies of scale. Theaters are a high end cultural phenomenon. They don't exist in every little town for a reason.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 30, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »

No, actually, we aren't. Iron Age ends around Roman times. We're early iron age. Which, depending on area, goes back around 1200 B.C. So we're actually around Greek level technology.

Dealing with one's own disputes can often result in fights. Rarely a good idea. Where are these towns coming from? They have time to fight wild beasts while working in the fields? I mean, in Greece, which admittedly had poor soil for farming, 80% of population farmed. And they still only had theaters in the largest cities. Who gets the dyes for the theater clothes? Those aren't just lying everywhere, ya know. Not if you want a variety.

In winters, you tend the animals and you shiver and you hope the firewood and the grain lasts and that nobody gets sick and dies.

Mostly, I'm thinking these travelling theater troupes, though. That needs...a lot. Plus people willing to barter for the performance so the Theater Troupe can practice and actually travel. A Travelling Theater Troupe, with 5,000 people living essentially in the entirety of their society, if they were really motivated? Sure, maybe. Multiple? Not gonna work. Economies of scale. Theaters are a high end cultural phenomenon. They don't exist in every little town for a reason.

Exactly why Kitsoony are being hired for the Carnivale and why the Djinn currently only operate one Carnivale throughout world 1.

Speaking of which, how would Zhin feel towards a foreign quarter in Rule?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 30, 2015, 10:49:11 pm »

Simple: part of the theater play, for both the actors and the audience, is to work. No need to buy a prop smithery when you act out a play in which a character is a smith. No need for prop swords when you go to war following the rules of drama. Besides, the audience makes good reserve troops. :P
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 30, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »

Are you really asking that, as though it weren't part of the plan originally, what with being somewhat hyper-imperialistic and all? :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 30, 2015, 10:52:52 pm »

Rome started in ~753 BC. The "Early Iron Age" lasted from 1200BC to ~500BC, including Roman times. We don't really need an exact analogue, but we have Iron and Bronze. That is about all we know. We can assume our plowing technology is up to date enough to allow for us to actually do interesting things to happen.

It did often lead to fights. Blood feuds, stabbings, revenge-based "justice", mob hangings, and whatever else. I am not saying it is the bestest system ever, I am saying it is a fairly common ancient system. Do you think that random rural farmers made the long trip to get some law done? Wild beasts attacking is very uncommon, even in this world. Do you think that the Greeks hired beast fighters to track down beasts and kill them? No, its more "I'mm gettin mah pitch fork and huntin' sling and taking these things down. Comone boys lets do this, get da tochers ready!". They had theaters, which is the point you are missing. They basically decided to make something just for fun for the sake of people who enjoyed that. With the majority of a population being drawn to Performing, they would probably have one in each town.

I am starting to think you don't know a lot about farming. Most just move their animals to a better land to let them eat. The species we are talking about has thick fur specifically to keep the cold out. Taking care of animals and cutting wood doesn't take all day anyway, with plenty of time for everything else.

It really doesn't, not in real life or in this world. They can hunt, being fox-based and all. The land they are in is fairly lush and full of life, its not like wandering hunter-gatherers haven't existed before. They are drawn to building theaters. They are not humans. They don't think like humans do. They are compelled to build theaters and perform plays, so they do.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 30, 2015, 10:56:24 pm »

I'm starting to imagine BroadRoad as a small temple-settlement staffed by elite thespians and priests with a nomadic population who only come in for rituals/plays/trade every now and then. Like early human settlements, really.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 30, 2015, 11:07:27 pm »

Groups that don't need to eat or drink could prolly handle massive wandering tropes.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 30, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »

Because they need food.

I also don't see where the Kitsoony were created specifically and only for theater troupes. Made Theater Troupes with them, sure, but not like that's their sole purpose in life. Plus, more autonomy in NPCs, so they ain't always gonna do what you ordered them to just cuz' you said so. Not forever, at least. Not unless you can maintain Control somehow.

How much of a day do you think everyone farms? We are in Greek-Roman technology level, there is plenty of room for divisions of labor even among small populations. Even if we assume 90% need to work on the farm and do little else, you still have enough for dozens of theater troops.

Their [Focus] is Perform. So they are drawn to performing, as an inherent part of their nature. Like how Humans are drawn to live in groups, or even to eat and drink certain things. They aren't going to always do what they are ordered to, but they are going to for now. Performing is important to them, an inherent part of being a Kitsoony, it isn't something they would ignore for no real reason.

I take this to mean High Elves are freeloaders. And the Deep Elves somehow grow/forage/hunt enough food to feed all Elf-Kin.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 30, 2015, 11:29:51 pm »

Hey Stirk, about Litany: the current game with its current gods and creations is completely and utterly dead, yes?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:34:01 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 30, 2015, 11:34:10 pm »

Nah, it's on hiatus, i.e. "I won't be working on it for a while or possibly ever, but it's not done yet."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 30, 2015, 11:35:59 pm »

Hey Stirk, about Litany: the current game with its current gods and creations iscompletely and utterly dead. yes?

No: I am waiting to see what will happen. I promised an End Game and there will be one. Even if I am the only one playing  :P. Basically I am still deciding if (Fusil Forbid) KJP stops GMing this game again (such as next summer) if I should do a Complete Reboot or continue on as if nothing had happened. I might end up putting up a pole. If we decide this really is The End, we will go through a series of miniticks deciding what happens for the rest of time (Such as everything exploding).

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 30, 2015, 11:40:18 pm »

Honestly what I think should happen if you decide reboot is all the gods go to sleep for a few thousand years and wake up around modern times tech level. I can't think of a godgame involving modern tech levels. They all die before then. Could have a pseudocreation phase allowing for more planets and stars to be added easily.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 30, 2015, 11:43:17 pm »

Honestly what I think should happen if you decide reboot is all the gods go to sleep for a few thousand years and wake up around modern times tech level. I can't think of a godgame involving modern tech levels. They all die before then. Could have a pseudocreation phase allowing for more planets and stars to be added easily.

Mavnon would be utterly ecstatic to see modern technology. Probably kill herself a few ticks in though.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 241