Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The advantage of high towers  (Read 2401 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
The advantage of high towers
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Made an interesting discovery with my latest fortress.

We all know that Fortifications, while better then nothing, don't really do much to save your dwarves when the massed archers of the enemy come by. So, I had set up one of my forward watch towers at a junction where almost all of the invaders (hobgoblin in this case, since I modded in a few new races) had to come by to get at my fortress.

On a whim, I decided to make it a grand tower out of marble, and am slowly growing it as high as I can. Well, after moving my archers up to one of the top levels during a siege, I noticed that despite the hail of arrows flying at them, they didn't get scratched. Took out about 3 or 4 hoboblins before they'd moved out of range, too. A dog hanging out around the unfinished top, however, was killed. (No fortifications)

Which makes me think that, while Fortifications don't help too much near the enemy, the farther away you are the better chance they have of missing, and a better chance that the fortifications will help. So, being high up in a tower means that your dwarves are much safer then they would be say, one z-level above the enemy.

Anyone else notice this?

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The advantage of high towers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:17:00 pm »

I've noticed that my central marksdwarf area 4 z-levels up from my entrance is capable of doing massive damage to anything on the ground, and thus far my only injury has been a headshot on a completely unarmored marksdwarf. Just finished cleaning out 100 gobbos + 100 beak dogs and a ton of trolls from that point. I was worried about the group of bowgoblins led by the bowgoblin leader, but I don't think they even got a shot off. Seems like from 4 z levels up my dwarves can hit MUCH farther out than on ground level as they were pounding goblins I couldn't even see without moving my screen

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Yeah, the distance to fortifications is taken into account in the chance-to-penetrate calculation, it seems. So a gobbo standing right next to a fort is just as likely to shoot in as you are to shoot out. You can get the same effect by channeling some trenches to keep them at a distance, or by building up a few z-levels.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

Would be cool if we could get an official confirmation on this from Toady...?

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

If this is indeed confirmed, im guessing theres going to a mass-transition for most player's defense designs. Mine included  :). Single z level archer walls ftl.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

Urm.  I thought the distance bit was already well-known.  Any goblin archer that makes it to the fortifications owns them!

What I didn't know was how helpful it apparently is to elevate marksdwarf firing positions.  That's the new information here.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG> Just finished cleaning out 100 gobbos + 100 beak dogs and a ton of trolls from that point. I was worried about the group of bowgoblins led by the bowgoblin leader, but I don't think they even got a shot off. </STRONG>

This is a fine example, that the current sieges are pretty much pointless. Marksdwarves in a tower / siege engines / traps -> Even 1000 goblins ans 100 trolls would be massarced easily.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:
<STRONG>

This is a fine example, that the current sieges are pretty much pointless. Marksdwarves in a tower / siege engines / traps -> Even 1000 goblins ans 100 trolls would be massarced easily.</STRONG>

Not true, they are succeeding in lagging me out so badly that I nearly can't play anymore. 300 goblins/beakdogs/trolls + caravan at the same time ftw. Last siege I had more fps pausing and using the one step method than letting it run.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Not true, they are succeeding in lagging me out so badly that I nearly can't play anymore. 300 goblins/beakdogs/trolls + caravan at the same time ftw. Last siege I had more fps pausing and using the one step method than letting it run.</STRONG>

I recommend turning off weather until the siege is over.  It might make things tolerable.  That and temperature.

I done grammared good.

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:35:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>

Not true, they are succeeding in lagging me out so badly that I nearly can't play anymore. 300 goblins/beakdogs/trolls + caravan at the same time ftw. Last siege I had more fps pausing and using the one step method than letting it run.</STRONG>

Well huh. I wonder what FPS will we have after the Army ARC is working and implemented.
As a side note, something must be done regarding sieges. It doesnt matter how many siegers are coming, its ridicolously easy to beat them all, even without loosing a single dwarf.   :roll:

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

Could you please stop hijacking every single thread either for the interface discussion or the sieges/megabeasts-not-tough-enough discussion?

Concerning the fortifications, I think the point was not that they operate better with z-levels, but better if enemies are far from them and your dwarves close, and z-levels are another way to put distance in between you and the enemy.

And about what was known from before, there was always that "far enemies must make a skill check" on the wiki, whatever that really means, and I think it also always had the "verify" tag.

So yeah....

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dreiche2:
<STRONG>Could you please stop hijacking every single thread either for the interface discussion or the sieges/megabeasts-not-tough-enough discussion?

Concerning the fortifications, I think the point was not that they operate better with z-levels, but better if enemies are far from them and your dwarves close, and z-levels are another way to put distance in between you and the enemy.

And about what was known from before, there was always that "far enemies must make a skill check" on the wiki, whatever that really means, and I think it also always had the "verify" tag.

So yeah....</STRONG>

Hijacking? I guess my reply wasnt out of line here at all, besides everything is true what I said.
 :o

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>

I recommend turning off weather until the siege is over.  It might make things tolerable.  That and temperature.

I done grammared good.

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]</STRONG>

I've had everything off since I started this fortress, doesn't help in the least.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

How many z levels can a dwarf fire down from? I thought it was 1 or is that only for catapults or balista...
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

Catapults and ballista can't fire across z-axes; anything else can. I've certainly had dwarves firing crossbows down from my lookout tower.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2