Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 442569 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - THUNK DEMANDS NEW OVERSEERS!
« Reply #1500 on: June 17, 2017, 03:35:17 am »

Btw Sanctume, Dirk the Lazy Bastard is still 100% alive. I'll go try to wrest a dagger from some dead corpses for him to train with.

The solution is to retire the fort, go clean them out with an adventurer, and get sieges from the big population of goblins.

Heh, I liked this idea. Unfortunately Breadbowl crashes on unretirement. :( I'm already starting to get crashes even in fortress mode - lost a whole month's progress and had to revert to an earlier save. Hopefully the crashes don't persist.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 17, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »

This is great. 

I would like to see this wrapped up though, and plan towards BB2 where we send squads of cooks to far away civs or some such in search of rare cooking ingredients whenever the next version comes out.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 17, 2017, 11:08:58 pm »

What, like...

- Hand over all your artifact plump helmet roasts... or die.
- Accept agreement? (y/n)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 18, 2017, 01:13:56 pm »

I can already picture a drunk, horn-helmeted, loincloth-wearing dwarf on the hunt for the legendary ☼salt shaker☼.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 24, 2017, 03:19:10 am »

Ugh, sorry guys. I'm going to throw in the towel here and call it quits.

Progress has been glacial both in-game and out. Unfortunately its not even the game part that gets me - its the writing.  I've put myself under alot of pressure as this is Breadbowl's final turn, devising all sorts of plot points, characters, motivations, that started to resemble more of a novel than a succession game. Eventually somewhere down the line I realised that I'm just not the best person to get this done with. My writing's not what it used to be, and I feel like I lack the chops to give Breadbowl the satisfying ending it deserves. It would be a disservice to this fine fort, personally, if I were to soldier on with subpar updates despite knowing this.

Again, deeply sorry for the disappointment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 24, 2017, 08:54:24 am »

Hey, it's all right. We won't blame you. Somebody's got to finish up Breadbowl's story here, and it ought to be a good writer (Read: Definitely not me).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:07 am »

I've been in that same bind.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 07, 2017, 11:55:44 am »

My laptop is having a stroke, so nothing from me. Sorry guys
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 07, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »

Oh wow, hello again Breadbowl. Been a while. I didn't realise this had been started up again until I got an email about a PM from Sanctume.

Unfortunately, I'm in not in a position to help finish the story myself right now, but it deserves an ending.

Bearskie, if I might offer a less work-intensive solution than the novel you'd started writing: my plan for Breadbowl's final pages was simply to use DFHack to spawn in a dragon and then fight it as best I could, letting events play out naturally from there, making sure to record for posterity the way in which each named dwarf went out.

It's finally time for Acathi Fortuneswelter the Jewel of Glows to make his appearance, and end this story in fire. You have my permission as OP to do this, if you want.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 08, 2017, 01:06:22 am »

Bearskie has a pdf version (400+ pages) and it's a capture of the forum posts. 
I am thinking of converting Breadbowl into a more reader-friendly pdf version.

I would like input if I should include just the story posts and images.
Or if I should also include the posted comments in between posts.
This is a casual time project in between my gaming time.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 08, 2017, 01:30:53 am »

Unfortunately, the problem is that I find myself lacking in motivation and skill to write such an ending, even having the whole story planned out, which was why I resigned my turn.

As it were, the general idea during my turn was to build a large Ark, in which the citizens of Breadbowl would sail away on in the face of an off-screen existential threat. Building it would have entailed anchoring to the sea floor using NCommander's Ocean-Be-Gone lever. Additionally, the HFS would have been released as a final 'fuck you' to whatever it was that was threatening to invade us, and Breadbowl would have been razed to the ground using some well-placed magma drops.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree that using DFhack would create an even more badass ending. Mifki's been doing some research into forcing sieges too, so we could summon a final massive goblin wave bent on exterminating Breadbowl in addition to Acathi and the HFS. As awesomely LOTR-esque that sounds, I'm still no Tolkien, and I would rather have somebody with better writing chops than me to be responsible for the end.

You can get the Breadbowl PDF mentioned above here; like Sanctume said, it's a full forum capture (100MB) with all comments included. The primary purpose is to preserve the images. Ideally, a reader-friendly version with select comments included such as the Boatmurdered Let's Play would be best, but as of now with Breadbowl still not 100% complete I am not sure whether it is needed.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 09, 2017, 10:05:31 pm »

Bless you Sanctume! Good work on saving the pdf.

On a side note, I just noticed that the image hosting site I was using (photobucket) decided to change its terms of use, disallowing 3rd party hosting unless I upgraded my membership (with a fee of course). So suddenly all my image links to bay12 went down :( So I guess it was most fortuitous you saved it when you did :)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 10, 2017, 02:05:09 am »

Bearskie did that work pdf capture, and uploaded in dffd. 

I was thinking on making a more reader-friend version as a side project.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:09 am »

On a side note, I just noticed that the image hosting site I was using (photobucket) decided to change its terms of use, disallowing 3rd party hosting unless I upgraded my membership (with a fee of course). So suddenly all my image links to bay12 went down :( So I guess it was most fortuitous you saved it when you did :)

On the one hand, whew that was close.
On the other hand, I was planning to archive other threads as well, and Photobucket's change just torpedoed through a whole lotta images, especially from older threads. FUCK!

I mean just look at this shit.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:21:33 am by Bearskie »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 10, 2017, 08:49:19 am »

Photobucket just destroyed years of df stories.... oh my god... I'm actually shedding a tear
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 105