Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newb Q's  (Read 1008 times)

Shooree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
newb Q's
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

Great game, hooked on like a junkie. only been at it for a few days though, and I'm encountering mayor difficulties - I'd be grateful for some explanations.

First off, is it a bug when some workshops get built and some don't, and remain like that for ages? My last fort, all the basic workshops built easy-peasy, then I ordered a craftsdwarf-thingy. It's been a WIP for two seasons, and I even have a dwarf whose job list says "constructing building" sitting in the next room for a suspiciously long time...

What's the deal with that? Is every workshop different with regard to who builds it? I'd really appreciate the help, since this is about 12th fort that I've abandoned because of a similar problem.

Other bugs{?} of a similar nature occur as well: mechanics and engineers refusing to connect my levers and generally some chores never getting done. is this normal?

Also, with DF's tileset, the aspect ratio changed to square (I think), and my fullscreen is not much larger than the windiwed mode. Can I fix that?

Much much obliged. It's a lovely community out here.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: newb Q's
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

A workshop needs to be built by the person with that profession. Use Q and choose the workshop, you should get "XXXX Requires: [profession]". For example a fishery needs a fishclear/fisherdwarf. Check that its not suspended.

Engineers dont' connect levers, they're SIEGE engineers - making siege equipment. As for mechanics, I suggest you remove all jobs except the mechanic one, to make him get to work.

Fullscreen and windowed mode still show the same amount of tiles...

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks