Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This will all end in tears...  (Read 2222 times)

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This will all end in tears...
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

I just did my first reclaim of a fortress, and I looked at the relationship log of one of my dwarves. 1 lover, 1 deity, 50 friends. Ok... maybe he's just popular... assign 20 war dogs to him and lock him in a room for the safety of the whole fortress... let's look at his lover... 1 lover... 1 deity... 50 friends.

Near as I can make out, every single dwarf is a friend with every other dwarf. Which means that first siege, I can expect a catastrophic downward spiral as soon as one dwarf takes an arrow in their eye.

Good times!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: This will all end in tears...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Yeah, I was wondering about that. All reclaim dwarves are friends, meaning that if HFS goes and HFS's all you dwarves when you find the HFS, your first reclaim party will self-destruct when they find the HFS again and get all HFS'ed up. It seems to me that a millitary set of dwarves won't necessarily be universally good friends.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

Then experiment with water. Or magma. Or both! That way, when it's the infamous spiral, you'll at least have had the chance of learning how (not) to build a 15-story waterfall. It's something I've learned. When your fortress is as good as doomed, mess around with the physics.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

Hrm, I was thinking about building a massive water tower for defense. I may as well add another spigot aimed at the center of the fortress as well.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Donkringel:
<STRONG>Hrm, I was thinking about building a massive water tower for defense. I may as well add another spigot aimed at the center of the fortress as well.</STRONG>

Am I wrong when I see a huge tower sticking out above your fortress, connected with channels topped off with floor hatches that can be opened with the flick of a switch when the gobbos arrive?

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

That about sums it up, aye. Although I'm also going to add some lower level floodgates so I can just blast the gobbos via pressure.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

but does it menace with spikes?  Is there an evil petting zoo in the tower?  That would be cool, too.
igless

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Donkringel:
<STRONG>That about sums it up, aye. Although I'm also going to add some lower level floodgates so I can just blast the gobbos via pressure.</STRONG>

Sadly, pressure does not blast.  3/7 going to 4/7 (or whatever the exact numbers are) nudges, but if you have multiple levels, you get 0/7 going to 7/7, which doesn't move anyone.  I've had my miner open a passage into the ocean and not be moved at all by the water rushing in, because it just all instantaneously went to 7/7 from dry.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

Sadly, pressure does not blast.  3/7 going to 4/7 (or whatever the exact numbers are) nudges, but if you have multiple levels, you get 0/7 going to 7/7, which doesn't move anyone.  I've had my miner open a passage into the ocean and not be moved at all by the water rushing in, because it just all instantaneously went to 7/7 from dry.</STRONG>

Actually, I don't think pressure affects living creatures at all.  I think that when it gets from 0/7 to 3/7 or 4/7, they will move to a safer square.  If it goes right to 7/7, and they can't swim, they'll just be stuck, waiting to drown.

I have seen water pressure move items along the ground, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

Oh, it pushes.  You only have to be at the edge of a waterfall to know that.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

It pushes... somehow. I know this cause I "accidentally" ordered a dwarf to mine up into a river, and a short while later recieved the "Puppy has collided with an obstacle!" message. Tee hee. Puppy-splosion.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

High pressure water does not push creatures:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-366-waterpressuretest

I've only seen low pressure water cause creatures to move.. and like the post above said, I think it's from them trying to stay in shallow water.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 11:19:00 am »

I had a miner dig into a brook with a channel behind him and it pushed him over the edge, unless he decided to jump down my new waterfall and break/mangle most of his  limbs of his own free will.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

I had a setup like this, while working on something.

code:
#~##  # - Wall
#*##  * - Wall Designated for Mining
#.##  ~ - Water
#_.#  . - Floor
#..#  _ - Channel

When my miner went to dig out that wall, the water rushed in. Instead of moving to the diagonal square (which is what I thought he'd do,) he ended up in the channel, where he quickly drowned as it filled to 7/7.

Dwarves can be a bit daft, but I highly doubt they'd choose to jump down a channel instead of moving to the side of it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 01:01:00 am »

Moving water defiantly pushes living creatures.  Go into adventure mode. Jump into a river near the edge of a waterfall(the shallower water shouldn't push you off right away) and try to go upstream.

You will discover that it is very difficult to because once the water gets to a certain depth it pushes you back toward the edge.  And you KNOW you aren't telling the adventurer to go that way.

I believe that anything 4-6 will push when it moves and it is "flowing".  Anything below that is too shallow to move you(I have a hypothesis that 2 and 3 depth may be able to push smaller creatures) and 7/7 doesn't actually move unless there is a shallower tile near it.  It just knows weather it's stable(no flow) or flowing. (waterwheels work but doesn't actually push. It just knows that the water is terminating somewhere along the line.)  

If the water is the right depth but isn't "flowing" (a partially dried murky pool for example) the game knows that the water isn't actually going anywhere so it doesn't have the force to push you.

Most of this is just guesswork at what the code looks like but I have done the waterfall test myself by accident while hippo hunting.  And water DOES push.  Just not if you throw out a crazy amount at once.  The pressure thing with the opening at the lowest floor most likely will not work. as its teleporting the water to 7/7 immediatly, not flowing it.  Only once it gets a few spaces away from the tower will it push. And probably only 1 or 2 tiles.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: [1] 2