Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mercenary Commanders (IC)  (Read 2171 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Commanders (IC)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »

Donnar sees what he can do to as some runes to the gear of his troops, making some small talk with them as he does.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:39 pm »

Recruit:
Orc Axeman
Crossbowman

Begin drilling the Orcs as soon as I acquire them. They are to remain slaves until they have proven themselves competent.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:42:00 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »

The day is over rather quickly. Recruiting and some training take most of the day. By night, your small mercenary army is outside Estrur's house, waiting until you finish talking with him. You have now almost fifteen hundred people under your command. And it feels intimidating, even if most are peasants or untrained fanatics.

Inside Estrur's home, a map on a table awaits you. It's a map detailing a small valley, apparently called The Red Valley. There is a small fortress in the middle of it, and a road goes through the valley, following a river.

"This, my friends, is The Red Valley of Widows. Or just The Red Valley, for short. It is part of the territory of Duke Albretch III of Ardastra. It is the only pass through the mountains that separate the Duke's territories from orcs, goblin tribes and some human barbarians." As he says this, he points at the northern part of the map, where the names of some of this tribes are written. "Right now Albretch is fighting a war against his son. It seems he got tired of waiting for the old man to die. The duke can't spare any troops to man the fortress and defend his territories from northern attacks. He is desperate... So desperate that after some bargaining, he has accepted to pay you and your troops for the next month, send some builders to help fortify the valley, and pay you an extra 100 Santdorian Crowns if you manage to stop all invaders coming from the north. He will also give you the fortress and the land around it, which basicly means the whole valley."

After that, he stops for a second, letting his words sink in. He then laughs a bit.

"That means you will be owning land, gentlemen... And lady. It's not the best of lands, but I am sure you will be able to make use of it. And I am sure you will appreciate having a base of operations. This is the best job I managed to get you. All the others were deathtraps. This, however, has a good short term pay... And an excellent long term pay. I hope you are all ok with this job."

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 05:22:51 pm »

Winston nodded solemnly. The wild people of the north had forever terrorized the civilized men of these lands. This pass would see an end to that. He and his holy men would fight valiantly in the defense of their realm and their home. The gods would surely see them to victory.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »

Donnar looks at Estrur somewhat incredulously.
"A rather simple job that pays in land? It is an honor."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 10:57:51 pm »

The orc nodded.

Betrayal expected upon completion; prepare accordingly.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:16 am »

It's not long before you head to said valley. In just five days, you arrive there. High mountains surround the valley on all four sides, with a small road going from north to south, following a river flowing from the north, being the only way of entering the valley. At a certain point, the road crosses the river, and just after the bridge, there's a small fort.

The fort needs some repairs, but the stone walls are sturdy, and should be able to endure some punishment. The fort and the river are the major features of the valley, with some trees here and there through the valley.

A team of builders is there waiting for you. As far as you know, you have at least two days before the first wave of barbarians arrives to the valley. You need to start thinking about what you do next.

((I wasn't able to finish the map in time. My apologies. I should have it finished soon))

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 10:29:01 am »

(Will the battles be tile/hex based or free form?)
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »

Check to see if there is a church and crypt on the premises. Pay my respects to both if there is. Then have my men explore the valley and get a feel for the lay of the land.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 06:47:44 am »

Drill the troops and order the construction of defensive siege engines within the castle.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:06 am »

Split my forces into two. One scouts the valley, looking specifically for places where they can fire upon an attacking army from. The other half joins the construction of defenses.
Donnar searches the valley for healing herbs that can be made into poultices and salves.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:36:12 am by My Name is Immaterial »
Pages: 1 [2]