Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mercenary Commanders (IC)  (Read 2172 times)

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mercenary Commanders (IC)
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:24:33 pm »

Mercenary Commanders

Note to players:
Narration of your own actions must be posted like this.
"Anything your character says must be posted like this, and you can choose a color if you like."
Thoughts should be in italics.
And actions like recruiting, sending units to a certain position and so on should be bolded.

OOC Thread

It is Spring. The year is the 2401st after the fall of the Human Santdorian Empire. Since every kingdom, independent county and city-state uses its own calendar, counting years since the fall of the Empire is the only way to have some common dates for scholars and people who travel around Santdor.

You've all been contacted by Estrur Bâx, a goblin merchant under the orders of the Merchant Prince Caunphen. You all knew of the Merchant Prince. He is among the richest, most excentric merchants in the Golden Coast. Estrur had invited you to come to his humble abode in the coastal town of Amber Sands, a small yet prosperous port. His "humble abode" was a decadent mansion with a staff of slaves brought from overseas. Slavery is illegal in this town, so the goblin must have contacts and lots of money if he can get away with this. Soon enough, you meet the grossest, fattest ugliest goblin you've ever seen. His rich clothes and jewelry cannot hide the fact that Estrur is hideous, and he would be consider repulsive even by goblin standards.

"Well well... You must be the ones I called... We'll see if I made the right choice. I'll go straight to the point. His Highness, the Great Merchant Prince Caunphen the First and Only, wishes to sponsor a mercenary army. Both for prestige and money. You are all mercenaries of some renown or people who could use the money and have skills we are interested in. Lord Caunphen would provide you with contacts and some contracts, as well as some coin to start recruiting, and in return he will get 10% of all the payments you get and you will have to come to his aid if he ever calls you."

"If you've come here, I assume you are willing to accept these terms. If you do, then I will give you the coin you would need to start recruiting and I'll see if there is anyone interested on your services... Knowing the people I know, I should have something for you tonight."

Not a bad offer... And it is true that after having come this far, refusing is not such a good option.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:26:39 pm by Everchosen »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Mercenary Commanders (IC)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:04:36 pm »

Winston Dugrey, a tall man with broad shoulders and very angular features is the first to speak,The Grey Knights are prepared to spread justice in the name of our Gods.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:27:50 pm »

"The terms sound acceptable. Pass my thanks on to his Highness."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:53:19 pm »

Pentheothya, a tall and slender elf woman with long plated red hair is next."The Coven of Steel are ready for your command."
Nothing to see here, i missed the sign up thread
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:53:35 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:16:57 am »

Syracuse simply nodded.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:01:25 am »

"Perfect. That's perfect. Take this and go recruit some soldiers. I trust you will not try to flee with the money... It wouldn't do you any good. Come back tonight and I'll have a job for you."

After saying this, some human slaves hand you four purses, one for each of you. They are heavy. And you discover why as soon as you look into them.

"Each purse contains fifty Santdorian Golden Crowns." The most valuable coin of the ancient Santdorian Empire, these coins are still used today and highly valued because of the gold they contain and the extreme difficulty of forging them. "I believe with that you will have more than enough. Don't use everything or you might have trouble later. And having Santdorian coins is always useful, as they are accepted everywhere."

After this, you are told to leave. You have a long day ahead of you, recruiting soldiers for your army.

In the towns and cities of the Golden Coast there are always "mercenary academies" where people pay to to learn how to be a soldier. Going to one of these places to recruit is always a good idea. Setting a recruitment post on a public square after paying a bit to the local government is also one of the most used methods. Finally, of all the common choices, the cheapest one is going outside of town, to some nearby village, and recruit from the locals.

Your choice, the first of many.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:24:46 am »

Winston takes his coin and nods his head to his host. He is grateful for the opportunity to spread the word of the Grey Knights. He heads to churches of this city to recruit followers. He talks to priests and pastors about his experiences under the shining light that is The Twelve. He talks of the need for men and women to stand in the name of the Gods and to join his fight. He also stands on the street in front of the churches and calls out to those who pass by if recruiting inside is not enough.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:06:54 pm »

Winston and Skaver are the first to leave, but their paths separate rather quickly.

Winston finds his way to the religious district. There, some people hear him and wish to join him. Although they will need equipment and food, and they have no training, they seem eager to fight. Some priests also talk to him, telling him that some members of the temple guard would gladly follow him, if only he would take care of their pay and give a small tribute to the local Church of the Twelve.

Meanwhile, some villagers are interested by Skaver words. Some young men and women who don't want to spend their lives the same way as their fathers did, some hunters who are noticing that there is not enough game to feed them anymore... They are not the best soldiers, but they are motivated and can be trained.

Spoiler: Recruitment (click to show/hide)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:07 pm »

Donnar travels to a city, looking for a mercenary school specializing in training units specialized at fighting at range.
His thinking is that if their army does not have a sizable range component, it will be cut down by armies that do.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:02:07 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »

Recruit 1 Temple Guard and 3 Fanatics

Winston thought quietly to himself while sitting within one of the cathedrals, These are good men. Holy men. The Gods have brought them to me today and, in one way or another, I will deliver them to the Gods.

He was left with one crown. Money is no object to one who has been saved by the divine. Yet the church is earthly, and has earthly costs. Winston approached the altar of one of the lesser known gods; the god of war. He knelt down and spoke a short prayer asking for the protection of these brave souls in the coming battles. He placed his last crown in the coffer and left the church, ready to find a job for his men.

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 05:29:30 pm »

Donnar didn't take long to find what he was looking for. There is a mercenary academy within the town, and it has a shooting range. These were men who had payed to be trained to be soldiers. They were proffesionals, with little real experience, but proffesionals nonetheless.

There are even some children of the local nobles and merchants. They are probably the third or fourth children, so they train here to make a living through war. They wield expensive pistols and ride horses. They can probably ride around the enemy while shooting, but as children of rich families, they expect a high pay and are probably the less disciplined of the men you have found here.

Just in case, the owners of the academy show Donnar some of the other men and women they train, even though they are not specialized in ranged combat.

((You can start making other actions if you want, as long as they wouldn't take a long of time. You have to meet Estrur that night))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 06:02:04 pm »

Syracuse knew perfectly well what he was going to do.

Search out for orcish populations willing to join my troupe. Also seek out any available gunner mercenaries.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 06:04:01 pm »

Winston takes his holy book and, still wearing his blessed armor, goes to preach to the people. He firsts visits the guardhouse and has a short service with the men there. He blesses them each and wishes them well in the future. He then goes to the prison and spreads the words of his Gods to the damned and disheveled. Lastly he does to a mages academy and shares with them a few more controversial passages for gentlemanly academic discussion. When he is done with that, it should be time for him to return to Estur. If anyone needs his help, or he sees someone in need, he helps them.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:25 pm »

After spending a few hours watching the mercenaries train, Donnar makes his selections. He wanted professionals by his side, disciplined men from whom he knew what to expect. Three longbowmen would do nicely.

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:38:34 am »

Donnar, after recruiting, is left with 5 Santdorian Crowns. The men seem proffesional enough, and start following him. He still has some time for himself before having to go to Estrur's.

Syracuse has a difficult time finding orcs. The only orcs in the city are some "workers" held as slaves by a merchant who controls the docks district. He uses them to load cargo into his ships. He is willing to "transfer their contracts" for a certain amount of gold. He is even willing to sell equipment for them at a price.

As for gunners, Syracuse is unable to find anything. The closest thing are a group of pistoliers trained in the local mercenary academy. The town is prosperous, but small, and some things are difficult to find.

Meanwhile, Winston ingratiates himself with the locals. Apparently local priests and pastors are quite passive and inactive in everyday's life, so the people of this town welcome the change. It won't be difficult for Winston to recruit more mercenaries in this town in the future, as people seem to like him.

At the same time, Skavar is starting to be respected by the men and women she has recruited. A commander working close with them is a good sign for them, and they will probably be more willing to put themselves in danger for her now.

Pages: [1] 2