Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unbelievably low FPS.  (Read 1754 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unbelievably low FPS.
« on: March 25, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

Anyone else had this recently? 20 year old fort, 120 dwarves 400 pets ( all in cage ) currently have a siege and dwarven caravan on the map and ticking between 0 and 1 fps, takes literally 5 days to complete one month in DF. Everything is turned off that can be turned off ( temp/weather ) i'm not really sure what I can do besides abandon and start a new fort ( really don't want to do that )

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unbelievably low FPS.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

Kill the animals.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

yea wtf with all the animals...
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

kill some dwarfs too, and use your magma (must turn temp on) or chasm to radically dump stuff.

do you REALLY need 200 -Schist Mechanisms- 2000 Andesite Scepters and 20000 stones?
Probably you want to undress all your dwarves too though. Nudist Fortresses actually do have a few fps more

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

In case it's not just the animals, do you have lots of unpunished criminals and a locked-up Hammerer? I noticed my FPS immediately increased somewhat when I unlocked my Hammerer.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

I don't have anyone locked up, I suppose it could be the animals, but I like to keep some around to breed for when I need meat and bones.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

For testing purposes, I just caged, then uncaged, then crushed around 200 animals, and I didn't notice any change in my average FPS at any point. Huh, oh well.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

I think you should contact Toady about this....maybe its a bug. Hopefully..if not, this means that big forts are almost unplayable because of the low fps?
Btw what comp do you have?

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

I just got my computer a few months ago, it was pretty top of the line when I got it but to be honest I don't know what the processor is. I only know it has 4 gigs of ram, which apparently has little to do with running DF. Haha. I would expect that if it can run oblivion at maxed settings with 70 fps it could handle DF with nothing turned on, but apparently not. I won't deny that it's entirely possible that there is a problem with my computer rather than DF, though. I did downgrade from vista the second I got it, apparently there are some driver issues involved with that, but I refuse to have that filth on my machine and they simply don't offer XP anymore.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

I haven't tried this myself, but it might help you.  I have noticed that my FPS goes up during winter.  I presume it's because the brook freezes over so there are fewer flows to calculate.  You could try turning on temperature during the winter, waiting for the water to freeze and then turning it off.  My understanding is that this will keep the water permanently frozen.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

To know what processor you have, go to the start menu, choose RUN, then enter 'dxdiag'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479