Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: add a bit of healthy mutilation to divine punishment  (Read 2308 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
add a bit of healthy mutilation to divine punishment
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:08:26 am »

Hello, I would like to suggest that gods (especially those that are more violently inclined/more grounded in physical world) have a few more punitive measures to use on offenders. Aside from turning the offender into a werebeast or vampire, I'd like to suggest that some of the gods could instead afflict you with a syndrome causing your eyes to rot or your lungs to ooze brown goo, or just plain rip/rot a limb or two away, and of course flag you to receive no werebeast/vampire punishment for further blasphemies.
I think that aside from just generally having more potential kinds of divine retribution,  now is the good time for this addition because the ability to desecrate temples in adventure mode and become a werebeast/vampire this way will certainly be exploited like hell by all the players (by me for sure). With this change, some more fun would be incorporated into that course of action

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: add a bit of healthy mutilation to divine punishment
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:37:29 am »

It's fairly easy to mod new deity curses in: I do it to dilute the number of vampires and werebeasts, which is usually excessive (I think). But I agree, more procedural curses would be good, and I'm sure they'll be added at some point.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:03:40 am »

I agree about this, especially with the upcoming Fortress Temples, in which any grumpy dwarf who knocks over a statue will probbably suddenly become a were-sperm whale or a vampire.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:40:17 pm »

I had the exact same thought after tha dev. log update. It would balance things a lot more if there were simpler, less "beneficial" curses from the gods.

Blindness is a good example. Maybe making everything taste like sawdust to the acursed.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:37:32 pm »

Could expose the offender to the whims of the procedural titan/beast sickness generator.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:09:17 pm »

I like the idea of a sentient creature having a permanently infected toenail. Also good would be a curse related to the creature's lifelong dream. So someone who wants to start a family would get such bad breath they'd never find a partner or see all his/her children die; someone who wants to master a skill would stay stuck at grandmaster and lose all the experience they accumulated in one "day" everytime they sleep so they're stuck like Sisyphus.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:32 pm »

I like the idea of a sentient creature having a permanently infected toenail. Also good would be a curse related to the creature's lifelong dream. So someone who wants to start a family would get such bad breath they'd never find a partner or see all his/her children die; someone who wants to master a skill would stay stuck at grandmaster and lose all the experience they accumulated in one "day" everytime they sleep so they're stuck like Sisyphus.
Ilove that. The punishments you listed seem pretty benign though, more suitable to counter something like assaulting a priest than actually desecrating a temple. Bad breath seriously? No, castration all the way! Wannabe legendary armoursmith? Your hands will rot and fall off! Wanna see wonders of nature? That's when people get blind!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:55 am »

That sounds a bit like that guy in New Girl who always took pranks too far.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 12:22:53 am »

That sounds a bit like that guy in New Girl who always took pranks too far.

These are deities that raise demons from hell for shits and giggles. Nothing is "too far."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.