Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Balancing Noble Attraction and Playability  (Read 815 times)

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Balancing Noble Attraction and Playability
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

Let me start with a preface: As soon as I saw this game, I knew I would be hooked. There was no question. I'm in a very specific strategy/RTS/colony management sort of niche for gaming, and I haven't found something that slakes my thirst for this kind of experience since Outpost 2.

All that being said, I am relatively new, though I've been playing the game since last August. I didn't have to wait out the z-axis release like most of the diehard fans did.

This is all leadup to the notion that I haven't had time to thoroughly exploit the nobility system as others have, so this is a new experience for me. I recently built a computer that can handle 200+ dwarf pops (I'm at 150 right now), but I seem to be having issues attracting a baron (having already attracted a philosopher and dungeon master), despite completing the tasks I've seen on the wiki.

The other issue is, of course, slowdown. I couldn't find a general advice thread on that note, so I was wondering if vets had helpful quips for someone like me.

As I understand, putting animals in cages (or butchering them) helps, and dumping random stones from mining. Any other hot tips for someone that wants to push the limits of Dwarven population?

he name says it all.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing Noble Attraction and Playability
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

go into the init file and set weather and temperature to NO

great FPS gain

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
Re: Balancing Noble Attraction and Playability
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

Try decreasing the G-FPS by a bit. I always lower it by 20 or 30 milliseconds.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."