Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the king of the sling of death  (Read 503 times)

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
  • forgetting which switch does what since *BLAM* ow!
    • View Profile
the king of the sling of death
« on: August 10, 2015, 02:11:41 pm »

today in the glorious hamlet earthgolds our adequate mason olon roasted chambers had a friendly discussion with local rivals and declared himself king in the middle of the hallway, hauling some wood. our home civ isn't even dead! whats the protocol for this situation?
I sincerely apologize for whatever happened above this.

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the king of the sling of death
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:15:34 pm »

apparently risen manydaggers as declared himself Expedition leader. the king was our exped-leader. is there some kind of political revolution happening in the fortress that i Wasn't aware of?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:21:48 pm »

This tends to happen with relative frequency now that it's not quite as hardcoded. Since World Gen continues on outside your fort's boundaries, current monarchs can die and their heirs can be in your fort. You can also embark from a near-dead civilization and have there be no available dwarves to be monarch until you show up in your new fort.

It's a pain in the ass to deal with kingly prerogatives so soon, but it's kind of fun and challenging too. The last time it happened to me, the king was down in the caverns hauling something and he got attacked by a voracious cave crawler. He punched its brains out after it bit him a few times. I nicknamed him 'Badass Rex' and started working a bit harder on getting his rooms built.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »

your right when you said it would be challenging. he has already demeanded 3 toy hammers. on a related note i built a dilbert style workplace for the nobles, cubicles and all! the king got an office.