Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Defend ze glory of ze German Wunderwaffen!  (Read 16662 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Defend ze glory of ze German Wunderwaffen!
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2015, 03:27:16 pm »

Don't be such a Nazi about these things friend

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2015, 03:51:54 pm »

Saying something was the "single biggest factor" doesn't mean it was necessary for victory.  There were a lot of factors.  "What if" is a very complicated game anyway.  In a hypothetical scenario where the allies didn't bomb Germany at all, maybe they'd put those resources elsewhere...  But where?  Complicated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2015, 04:14:05 pm »

Do you think Disco Hitler would have made any significant impact in the war if deployed, or were things already too developed for dance fighting changing the outcome of events?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2015, 04:22:22 pm »

Do you think Disco Hitler would have made any significant impact in the war if deployed, or were things already too developed for dance fighting changing the outcome of events?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm unsure if Disco Hitler would make a difference, but Techno Rommel proably could, if he didin't "suicided".
I discovered this a while before, to use while wiping out Russians with my Tiger in War Thunder. Also while conquering the world in Panzer Corps with that whole Europe map mod.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2015, 04:24:17 pm »

Something Shonus mentioned about shoddy armour quality. As it turns out someone (I can't recall the names or anything but could probably dig out the article on FTR if it's still up) did tests on that stuff and for some reason the quality of the steel used for armour didn't really go down that much, but the real kicker is, it wasn't really that good to begin with.

Actually, since I'm lazy I'll just link the article: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/02/06/on-german-armour/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »

The single biggest military, diplomatic and economical factor for Germany defeat in WW2 was Hitler and his decisions. Stuff like "strategic bombings" are just an extension of Hitler's idiocy biting him in his ass.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »

The single biggest military, diplomatic and economical factor for Germany defeat in WW2 was Hitler and his decisions. Stuff like "strategic bombings" are just an extension of Hitler's idiocy biting him in his ass.
Starting the war in the first place was probably the biggest factor. When you declare war on the entire rest of the world combined chances are you're fucked, it's just a matter of when.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2015, 05:01:51 pm »

Starting the war in the first place was probably the biggest factor. When you declare war on the entire rest of the world combined chances are you're fucked, it's just a matter of when.
He was an unquestionably terrible commander-in-chief. I would go so far as to say that Hitler's general incompetence in military matters was the largest single reason that Germany lost the war.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:03:33 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2015, 05:05:46 pm »

Honestly tho, he could've gotten away with it for the most part if he hadn't made the single biggest mistake of attacking russia. That was just stupid on too many levels.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:51 pm »

His other plan was to attack India through Middle East. Compared to that, attacking Russia was not all that bad...
._.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2015, 05:17:29 pm »

Honestly tho, he could've gotten away with it for the most part if he hadn't made the single biggest mistake of attacking russia. That was just stupid on too many levels.

I don't think that it was that bad of a decision. Deciding to not do Barbarossa would probably result in a (partially) recovering Soviet backstabbing Germany around 1943-ish, which would probably end up worse for the germans than Barbossa, especially if the Germans decided to go Seelöwing or whatever it is you do when you're german and not at war with the Soviets.

Of course, another possibility is that the Soviets decide to leave Germany in peace to fight the allies, in a ''let wolf fight wolf'' way, and make sure that Finland+Baltics are properly nommed before commencing round two.

I guess that we'll never know how WW2 would have played out without a Barbarossa.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2015, 05:21:42 pm »

I guess that we'll never know how WW2 would have played out without a Barbarossa.
Spoiler alert: Germany loses in the end.
._.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2015, 05:33:27 pm »

Spoiler alert: Germany loses in the end.

Most likely yes, but how fast, what pieces of land are lost to what side, and how large are the expenditures in blood and resources that the various nations would have to make?
I think this kind of stuff can be discussed for eternity, but at the same time, it can be a pretty interesting discussion.

I'm not really sure that the Germans ever would attempt Sealion with the Soviet union breathing down their necks. At the same time though - not much else they can do at this point. Another year of Sitzkrieg wouldn't do any good. I think that if you look at these conditions, together with the Soviets temproarily being weakened around the time of Barbarossa, it becomes pretty clear why Barbarossa became a thing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2015, 05:39:09 pm »

Even without USSR they couldn't do sealion. Might successfully starve Britain to death though

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2015, 05:46:04 pm »

There's a short analysis about why Sealion was not an option. And starving Britain to death doesn't really seem possible, given that USA is supplying Britain - and without Barbarossa, there's no lend-lease to USSR, so more convoys go to Britain.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14