Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Knight [SG]  (Read 3578 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Knight [SG]
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 02:58:55 am »

Remove his limbs. He had a chance.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 03:25:02 am »

That is not how one adress a Knight, peasant. Repent know and you might escape the wrath of Sunblade! ((Our sword does need a name. Also, we need to work on some kind of scabbard, because going around holding a sword that cut everything it touches is going to be awkward.))
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:44:04 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 03:36:43 am »

ptw and +1 to above

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 03:48:03 am »

That guard can be the metaphorical Black Knight to our metaphorical King Arthur.

OFF WITH HIS LIMBS!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:32 am »

Remove his limbs. He had a chance.
That is not how one adress a Knight, peasant. Repent know and you might escape the wrath of Sunblade! ((Our sword does need a name. Also, we need to work on some kind of scabbard, because going around holding a sword that cut everything it touches is going to be awkward.))

"That is not how one addresses a Knight.  Repent now, and you might escape the wrath of Sunblade!"

The guard looks at his two companions, then back at you.

"Did you not hear me?  I said - Fuck.  Off."

You sigh.

"Manners.  Maketh.  Man," you say, and in a rather excellent display of swordsmanship you cut both of his legs off.  Just as he realises what has happened and starts screaming, you take his arms as well.

The two other guards both go for you with their spears, but frankly taking on a knight who has been ordered to kill a dragon is just bloody stupidity.  As their charred, limbless remains flop to the ground, you remark upon the fact that it doesn't look like you're ever going to need to clean Sunblade.  The blood just sizzles off.

With a deft swing, you sever the link of chains from the elderly slave, who goes down on his knees and literally prays to you in thanks.  It is awkward, but gratifying.

"Thank you, Sir Knight!  You have freed an old slave who never thought to see a world beyond that grindstone.  Is there anything I can do to repay your kindness?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 03:57:31 am »

"Join me on my quest and you shall be awarded with...stuff!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:02 am »

"Live thine remaining years to their fullest. Aid thine fellow man."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 05:08:32 am »

"Tell me thy story, old man. When three armed guard are required to watch over someone in chains, that person has to be interesting. I am sure there is much to learn from you."

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 07:11:58 am »

"Well, you seem like a strong man, and I recently lost my steed. I shall name you Bucephalus!"

Jump on the man and ride to the next town.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 11:24:24 am »

"Live thine remaining years to their fullest. Aid thine fellow man."
"Tell me thy story, old man. When three armed guard are required to watch over someone in chains, that person has to be interesting. I am sure there is much to learn from you."

"Live thy remaining years to thy fullest, friend, that is all I ask," you say.  "Do what you can to aid thy fellow man."

The old man touches his forelock.  "Thank you, Sir Knight!  I will tell all I meet of your mercy."

"Before thou goest, I do have a question.  What is thy story, old man?  When three armed guards are required to watch over someone in chains, that man must be of interest."

"I was not born into slavery, kind sir, but I remember little of my free childhood.  I had parents, perhaps I had friends.  When Lord Black's men came, what family I had was killed and I was enslaved with the other children.  I spent many years pushing a grinding wheel such as this one, until I grew mighty.  Even now, I still retain my muscles.  My master set me to the fighting pits for many years, until in a drunken fit he set me free.  Then I roamed the land for many years, righting wrongs as you do, seeking my own kingdom.  I even slew my old master, Lord Black.  Alas, I never found my kingdom.  I was eventually drugged and captured by the minions of the younger Lord Black, Black's son, who had gained title and privilege.  He starved me for thirty days until I had grown weak, then set me to work again as vengeance for his father, starving me again whenever I grew too strong.  So it has been for a dozen years.  Now, of course, I am free.  I suppose I might wander again, and try to find that kingdom."

"Then I wish thee the best of luck on thy quest, old man.  What is thy name?"

"Hah!  Long forgotten and worn out.  But you may call me Bucephalus."

You frown.  There is a sense of wrongness, like something unsettling at the back of your head.  You shake it off.

"I think I rode a horse called Bucephalus once," you murmur, but the thought passes.

"You are headed to Midtown, then?" the old man asks.  "Near the Mireblack Woods."

"I suppose so.  I am headed to Red Mountain."

"Through the Mireblack?  A dangerous endeavour.  When I was young I once travelled through it with my companions, but I was the only one to escape."

"How?"

"The Mireblack is treacherous, and tricks the eyes.  I escaped by blinding myself with a cloth, but there were still real dangers despite the glamours.  Be on your guard."

"Thank thee for thy advice, Bucephalus."

"And for your aid."  The old man tips his head to you and strolls away, stretching aching old joints with audible cracks.

You carry on your way, heading towards the distant forest.  Before the forest's edge, you come across a small village of huts and cottages, clustered around a well.  There appears to be a tavern, a shop selling various odds and ends and a blacksmith's shop.  Various brown and grey-robed peasants glance at you as you approach.  The smith hammers away at a horseshoe.  A huntsman in a green hat eats an apple.  All in all, typical peasantry.

Is there anything you wish to do here before you head into the Mireblack?

Chainmail Armour
Platemail Armour
Full-face Bascinet
Steel Longsword
Sunblade
Chasm Spider Fang
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 11:28:00 am »

go to tavern. Attempt recruiting.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2015, 11:31:22 am »

Go to the conveniently conspicuous huntsman and ask him about Mireblack.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2015, 12:04:13 pm »

Go to the conveniently conspicuous huntsman and ask him about Mireblack.

You head to the huntsman, who looks up as you approach.

"Rescued the old man, yet?" he asks.

"What?" you say.  "Um, yes."

"You'll be into the Mireblack, then.  You can get help here, if you need it.  Who are you?"

"Pardon?  I am a knight of the realm -"

"Right.  What's your quest?"

"Rescuing the princess - hey, why are you asking me this?"

"Doesn't matter yet, you're not who I'm looking for.  When you are, come and talk to me.  In the meantime, I have dinner to catch.  If you'll excuse me."

The huntsman picks up a bow lying in the grass and heads off to the woods, leaving you somewhat perturbed.

go to tavern. Attempt recruiting.

Feeling like that got away from you, you head into the local tavern, a dim place with crowds of peasants drinking away, someone playing a piano, and some rather more distinctive customers at the bar; a figure in dark leathers, half-way through his third pint of beer; a fat clergyman in a brown robe with a tonsure; and a rather comically dressed fellow in a blue robe with rather poorly sewn stars.

Well, it's a start.  Who do you approach, if any?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 05:07:42 am »

You gather up a ragtag party consisting of yourself, a common thief, a wandering priest and a gaudily dressed man claiming to be a wizard, and the four of you head into the forest.  After a bit of travel, you find a trodden dirt path running between the trees.  You can see some sort of structure ahead along the path.  At the same time, you can hear the distant baying of wolves.  Press on, or seek shelter?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 05:11:54 am »

A chance conflict! Silenty blame yourself for not preparing better in the village, and get ready to press on. Send the common thief forward.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4