Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the system for the game receive an overhal?

Yes.
- 4 (66.7%)
No.
- 1 (16.7%)
Yes, but. . . (comment how, below)
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 31, 2016, 04:23:26 pm

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 204

Author Topic: Castle: Fear for your Weakness OOC  (Read 164319 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: Fear for your Weakness OOC
« Reply #2145 on: October 08, 2016, 10:39:46 pm »

vkiNm, I would just like to say that running water wouldn't be too much of a surprise to people with medieval-era tech, or even 0BC/AD level tech. They had running water in ancient Roman times. Granted, the pipes weren't the best for your health, but still.
Historically the European middle age peoples would have been awed. The Romans took running water indoors, fish fountains with nozzles squishing jets of water, and massive aqueducts with them wherever they went. When they fell to barbarian tribes, the knowledge wasn't all lost but fell out of use with the odd architecture manual stuffed in someone's library.
With barbarians pulling down aqueducts to besiege towns all over the place and whatnot, and settling under the shadow of the wisdom of the ancients, they were awed enough for the Christian church to take easy hold (having the ancient Roman title of Pontifex Maximus was for them the same as saying that the church was the inheritor of the ancients' wisdom and power).
Enter the church spreading their religion, declaring the Frankish unwashed barbarians as the political successor of the Western Roman Empire and enforcing conformity - but said conformity according to the New Rome barbarian overlords' mores, lest they found the Papacy too much trouble.

Result: the dung ages, a massive inferiority complex to the ancients, and scholastics.
So yes, running water would have been huge for medieval Europe; what few cities that retained aqueducts were considered awesome just because people could take water from public fountains built on walls and statues - evidence that they were closer to the ancients' wisdom.
Running water indoors, and heated water? Unthinkable
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:41:32 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: October 08, 2016, 10:47:57 pm »

So vkiNm is foxhound taking new members? If so I might think about making a character for that game too if that is allowed.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: October 08, 2016, 10:56:33 pm »

vkiNm, I would just like to say that running water wouldn't be too much of a surprise to people with medieval-era tech, or even 0BC/AD level tech. They had running water in ancient Roman times. Granted, the pipes weren't the best for your health, but still.
Historically the European middle age peoples would have been awed. The Romans took running water indoors, fish fountains with nozzles squishing jets of water, and massive aqueducts with them wherever they went. When they fell to barbarian tribes, the knowledge wasn't all lost but fell out of use with the odd architecture manual stuffed in someone's library.
With barbarians pulling down aqueducts to besiege towns all over the place and whatnot, and settling under the shadow of the wisdom of the ancients, they were awed enough for the Christian church to take easy hold (having the ancient Roman title of Pontifex Maximus was for them the same as saying that the church was the inheritor of the ancients' wisdom and power).
Enter the church spreading their religion, declaring the Frankish unwashed barbarians as the political successor of the Western Roman Empire and enforcing conformity - but said conformity according to the New Rome barbarian overlords' mores, lest they found the Papacy too much trouble.

Result: the dung ages, a massive inferiority complex to the ancients, and scholastics.
So yes, running water would have been huge for medieval Europe; what few cities that retained aqueducts were considered awesome just because people could take water from public fountains built on walls and statues - evidence that they were closer to the ancients' wisdom.
Running water indoors, and heated water? Unthinkable

Absolutely, HEATED running water indoors? They're the tits. It's the kind of awesome daily thing that simply makes your life so much better.

Think free Pizza, whatever topping you want, whenever you want, always hot and never runs out.

It's fantasy, but it would be very awesome.

So vkiNm is foxhound taking new members? If so I might think about making a character for that game too if that is allowed.

Sure, Akras likes to feed Foxhound more and more stuff. People, equipment, state-of-the-art landships. You might not get to do much of anything, though. Foxhound doesn't directly engage things very often, you'd just sit there and watch the computer calculate ballistic trajectory and bombards the enemy from 3 Kilometers out.

ALSO:

I'm loving the Gobbo's train of thoughts, analyzing his surroundings and how awesome Akras is, Keep doing that! :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:59:37 pm by vkiNm »
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: October 08, 2016, 11:03:21 pm »

*makes notes and adjusts mental perspective of the Medieval Era*

@Free Pizza: Point taken. That sounds rather amazing.

@'Tracking' Collars: Anyone want to take bets on what or whic combination of kill switches they contain? And how soon an enemy will figure it out and take advantage of it? Or am I thinking too 'Suicide Squad'y?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: October 08, 2016, 11:13:44 pm »

I kinda wanted to try a orc character so aggressive and active which would fit better with the new squad which probably would benefit from a character with a focus on combat using guns or a melee character to take some of the hits for the magi. So I don't really know what to do then. I also noticed that Feline/Terran Human Amalgams are now on the races doc. Are they going to be a playable races?
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:10 pm »

I kinda wanted to try a orc character so aggressive and active which would fit better with the new squad which probably would benefit from a character with a focus on combat using guns or a melee character to take some of the hits for the magi. So I don't really know what to do then. I also noticed that Feline/Terran Human Amalgams are now on the races doc. Are they going to be a playable races?

Yes.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: October 08, 2016, 11:43:57 pm »

Give me a month and I should be settled enough and familiar enough with tone and setting details to act as an auxiliary GM for one shots of canon, cannon, and non-canon moments, with permission given of course. Sort of like the zombie apocalypse one shot.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: October 08, 2016, 11:56:53 pm »

People have written several oneshots of both canon and noncanon/AU natrue before. Links scattered throughout. You're free to write stuff up. If ye got lore questions then ask.

They are indeed. There are two people who wanna join as em so I decided to stat em. Also newsquad should have a heavy weapon guy show up at some point. A completely different person wants to join as one.

*makes notes and adjusts mental perspective of the Medieval Era*

@Free Pizza: Point taken. That sounds rather amazing.

@'Tracking' Collars: Anyone want to take bets on what or whic combination of kill switches they contain? And how soon an enemy will figure it out and take advantage of it? Or am I thinking too 'Suicide Squad'y?
Akras doesn't quite trust Gaians yet. On the flip side. All Akras employees have some form of tracker. As with most corporate employees of any corp. Frankly it's a shit idea to not have one, you're just that much easier to quietly abduct if you dun have one. Foxhound primarily has tracking implants. Gaians will prolly get implants later.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2153 on: October 08, 2016, 11:58:51 pm »

Not to mention John's brain liquidator killswitch. Akras means srs bizniz.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: October 09, 2016, 12:22:58 am »

People have written several oneshots of both canon and noncanon/AU natrue before. Links scattered throughout. You're free to write stuff up. If ye got lore questions then ask.

I have sooooo many questions that will probably be resolved as I read through the archives. I will make sure to drop questions as I get them. A month should probably be enough for me to get my RL work schedule settled, get a solid way through the archives now that I'm about caught up on my youtubing, and have enough of New Squad gameplay to have a sense of how things operate.

Akras doesn't quite trust Gaians yet. On the flip side. All Akras employees have some form of tracker. As with most corporate employees of any corp. Frankly it's a shit idea to not have one, you're just that much easier to quietly abduct if you dun have one. Foxhound primarily has tracking implants. Gaians will prolly get implants later.

Makes sense. I was going to ask if it would be alright if Ratodx tried to answer Reserti's question, but I hit the wrong button and now all that text is gone. I'm probably not going to bother trying to retype it.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: October 09, 2016, 12:24:05 am »

Try hitting the back button? Might restore it, sometimes does.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: October 09, 2016, 12:27:47 am »

Problem is that the wrong button push was refresh before I clicked preview (which is to say I tried before posting, but thank you for the advice). I should probably get that text saver thing I remember being mentioned somewhere that works inforum. It would have saved a lot of past stress.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: October 09, 2016, 12:30:18 am »

Prolly.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: October 09, 2016, 12:32:40 am »

Right, Wikia. I'm starting one, but ran on a little snag right at the beginning; what should I call it?

"Castle" or "Castle: Fear For Your Weakness"? Then again, the basic premise has been modified, and the present missions aren't specifically in castles on bubble universes any more.
"Akras Gate Teams Troopers Scouts Adventures Raiders" is descriptive and more inclusive, but maybe still a bit lacking as a name...

What do you think?
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2159 on: October 09, 2016, 12:35:20 am »

I think that the title 'Castle:' has become iconic to the series at this point. IMO it should absolutely lead the title. "Castle: Chronicles of blood, fortresses and death"? Suits Bay12's theme.

Also, Wikia, yuck. No so bad if ye've got adblock, but my school refuses to put adblock on the chromebooks. Grr.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 204