Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort for possible newcomer introduction to DF  (Read 1007 times)

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort for possible newcomer introduction to DF
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:32:52 pm »

Greeting you all!
Last night there was social gathering, where i somehow get myself in to, and, as it so often happens in social gatherings, for a brief moment Dwarf Fortress become main topic of conversation. A person, with whom i share my blood, took to himself to explain the greatness of Dwarf Fortress to people who have not yet seen the light. He spoke about madness of Dwarf fortress, about dwarf child care, about adorable kittens that are smash on meeting hall floor so dwarfs would get accustomed to horror ( though I am not sure if it still works in last version).
As you can imagine, people were impressed and intrigued and they expressed their wishes to see it in action. So i was instructed to build a great fort that would demonstrate the madness of Dwarf Fortress. I have a one week to do so. Unfortunately i have job, (Armok damn you, adult life!) so time is very limited. Thereby i come to you, in hope to receive some advise on what, dwarfy things, to build in my fort that would show to people a glimpse of Dwarf Fortress greatness, but in the same time taking into consideration limited time i have.
Also, should i try to find a good embark site next to volcano to speed things up, or would it be too easy and would lower people appreciation for magma related staff?

P.S
I tried to make sure that is not obvious from this post, but, if after reading it, you started to wonder how much have i drunk before I wrote it, i have to inform you that good knowledge of english is not one of my quality of which I can be particularly proud of.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Fort for possible newcomer introduction to DF
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:35:43 pm »

Include a magma-based doomsday device. Unleash when a siege is present.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:13:15 am »

Why not just upload save files from completed fortresses and save yourself the hard work? A week is hardly enough time to make something grand and awe-inspiring. Take your pick from these wonderful selection of dwarven wonders.

Highly recommend the dwarven academy of science thread for something spectacular to show off. Like magma land mines for instance.

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 03:41:12 am »

Include a magma-based doomsday device. Unleash when a siege is present.

it goes without saying :)

Why not just upload save files from completed fortresses and save yourself the hard work? A week is hardly enough time to make something grand and awe-inspiring. Take your pick from these wonderful selection of dwarven wonders.

Highly recommend the dwarven academy of science thread for something spectacular to show off. Like magma land mines for instance.

But where is fun in that? :) But yeah, if I will fail miserably, as i so often do, I will take a look into already completed fortress. Links are very appreciated, thanks!

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:41:12 am »

If you do fail,show them the downloaded save,then show them your save.

Don't forget Boatmurdered.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »

Oi! You need to include vampire blood wells that transform your fort into nightcreatures with no one to eat but visiting hippies!

Other than just pouring magma on to people, you need to show them a battery of player-designed traps.  This includes drowning chambers, freezing/obsidian chambers, pitfall/cave in traps, and something with minecarts filled with lead toys and goblets. You should also demonstrate how socks are deadly weapons!

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 09:23:41 pm »

oh,and necromancers behind floodgates hiding the trade depot covered in bodies from their veiw
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »

I say show them a save of dwarven daycare!!!!
And explain in detail what's going on....

Those that don't run for the door like their !!hair!!, will become fans, those that leave...you wont ever see again ;)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 06:15:57 pm »

And kittens should be your food/clothing industry! And here Urist McSouschef is cooking up some cat eye biscuits while wearing a masterfully tailored kitten hide tunic.  He is sporting puppy-boots, however his gloves are also kitten-hide.