Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

One.
- 0 (0%)
Two.
- 0 (0%)
Three.
- 0 (0%)
The world may never know.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 10, 2016, 09:48:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 612

Author Topic: Castle: Foxhound Chronicles (Choking your Bad Dragon in the Void)  (Read 391796 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: Foxhound Squad (8/8) Become an intern TODAY!
« Reply #2835 on: February 20, 2016, 04:03:10 am »

"You do realize Foxhound has been in this specific plane of existence before right? It's not contagious so that order isn't gonna fly. Although last time rather then having shared nightterrors, it was just something interesting and definitely Eldritch to observe and interact with while I was unconscious."

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2836 on: February 20, 2016, 04:05:04 am »

That is what I mean. This is different than anything you've been up against before. You have been in this plane of existance before, but I haven't heard anything of this sleep-depriving menace. It is better to be overprepared and overcautious than to let this thing through the gate. Think of Darwin."
After a pause, "And Murphy"
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 20, 2016, 04:15:54 am »

"No. What I mean is Foxhound has been at this specific Castle before. This is not something contagious."

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2838 on: February 20, 2016, 04:37:49 am »

"Tell me, you've been here before?" Zach asks rhetorically, "And did you face this particular threat before?" Another rhetorical question ((I hope)). "So that means that it is new, which means that either someone - or something - put it there. Or it could have evolved. This is literally like we've found a new disease, which means that it could be contagious. Again, Murphy's law."
He pauses, "I thought you were meant to be the most logical one? The overprepared, Make-sure-we-live person. This isn't about us. If this psionic... thing gets through to the other side and happens to be contagious... Then congratulations, we'd be directly responsible for mind-AIDS. I will again refer to Murphy and Darwin. If we do not prepare for the worst, when the worst is a possibility, then we are inviting it to bite us in the arse."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:43:14 am by Insanegame27 »
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: February 20, 2016, 05:14:20 am »

"For fucks sakes this isn't contagious. Like I literally just said. YES. This castle influenced dreams in the past. It's not new. The only difference is the influenced dreams are actively malicious. Which implies an INTELLIGENCE behind them. Not a MINDLESS Virus."

"If it actually is a contagious memetic effect. It isn't a debilitating one. Give it a month of constant nightmares and a given subject would get desensitized and not really care about it. It would become less an inconvenience then the common cold is."

"It being a psionic effect naturally implies it lacks conventional barriers. It could very easily hop through the gate. Hell. Gate's open right now. Isolation after the fact will not change that in the slightest."

"I am absolutely the logical one. And the logical one is saying that it doesn't bloody matter if it's contagious or not as the longterm effects would be absolutely nil. The issue is the here and the now and warding the problem off so we can focus on the bloody siege."

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2840 on: February 20, 2016, 05:25:59 am »

Zach takes deep breaths. "Tal..." he says, trying to keep an even temper, which is hard without much sleep, "WILL YOU FUCKING LISTEN TO ME!? There is every possibility that this is contagious. I am trying to keep not only ourselves alive, but everyone else on the other side of the gate alive too. I am taking precautions, it may be nothing, but it always pays to be prepared." Zach is breathing heavily, "Look Tal, I'm tired, you're tired and everyone else is tired. I just lost my brother and got a death threat simultaneously. I am shitscared that I will go to sleep and have my brother accuse me of not being there for him when he was there for me. You call that not a negative side-effect!?"

Zach tries to calm himself down but it is painfully clear he is losing the battle with his temper. "Please, Tal, just... take precautions," he says weakly, "I... I'm sorry for losing my temper... I..." he says before collapsing and entering the dream-world again.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: February 20, 2016, 05:41:45 am »

"Precautions are moot if it's contagious. It'll spread right through any sort of containment if it's a memetic hazard on the level it would need to be to infect the camp in less then a day without any sort of symbols or phrases being used to transfer the infection. When you get a Class Six infection of any sort, be it a bioweapon, a VNM, nanobots, a virus, or a memetic contagen, the question isn't "How do we stop this?" It's "Are we fucked or is this an inconvenience?"

"As for your brother. Judging by the current recovered occult items, we might happen across something that lets us bring back the dead. Although I'd expect human sacrifice or a gratuitous number of dead monkeys would be needed."

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2842 on: February 20, 2016, 05:54:02 am »

((You know you're standing there calmly talking to an unconscious person who happens to be rolling on the ground in pain, right? Sleep deprivation is SRS Biznis))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 20, 2016, 05:54:54 am »

((I know~ Tal doesn't though, he's sleepy.))

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 20, 2016, 05:59:44 am »

"Guys, would you just shut the hell up for a second and not yell while we're drawing the damned ward? arguments really isn't helping right now." Jenny growled as the team finishes the last of the drawings on the ground. Some paint powder were laid to ensure that the line isn't broken and can be easily seen while monkey cages were placed several feet from each others so that the blood sacrifice will cover the entire thing.

They don't really care what the hell this thing is anymore, since Tal said that it could maybe help with the nightmares, they're willing to do pretty much anything to get some good shut-eyes now even if that meant sacrificing a dozen monkey souls to the Eldritch gods for some unholy magic to block out other unholy magic.

Ritual knives were liberally given to people doing the execution of the monkeys. There weren't any robes, though.. but they didn't care. They followed Tal's chanting, droning on with bagged eyes as throats of monkeys were slit open for a grand blood sacrifice.

As the blood filled the ward, it hissed. Almost as if glowing for a very brief moment, then settled. If you had fallen asleep standing, you might've missed it.

Immediately once the ritual was done, several people decide to went 'fuck it' and fall on the floor and get comfortable. They didn't know how long it's been since they last had sleep but they're going to fix that now..

There was no dreams. There wasn't anything, really. You're there, in empty, dead plains under a stairless sky. The void above you vast and infinite.
Then you wake up, probably on the floor. Feeling a little better but with a killer back pain..

Something at the back of your head tells you that whatever that was here is still here. Then again, that's probably just Entity 002. Foxhound finds themselves waking up to a rather surprising but welcoming can of refreshing Juice waiting right in front of their faces.

It's somewhere in Day 2 now, you can't quite tell. The Suns haven't moved and it's still bright early noon it seems despite the mission timer clocking the 30th hour already.

Update on the Recon Drones, still no movement of the flying Rushers at the nestling area, but some activity in the castle. Figures are seen coming out of structures and appears to be mustering for a defense.. or for a preemptive attack on the camp. Whatever the plans are, these aren't your ordinary mindless rushers..
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 20, 2016, 06:00:51 am »

Best thing of all, though? the event leading up to you waking up were almost like a blur. Like that one time you stayed up way, way too late and just went on auto-pilot until you crashes and wake up some times later confused at what the hell happened and why did you have a tattoo on your face and whose baby is this?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: February 20, 2016, 06:10:22 am »

Tal immediately gets to work once he wakes up. A recon drone is to observe the movements and abnormally behaving Dwellers. What's going on specifically, what Dweller subtypes make up the abnormal behaviors? Any new ones? Anything look like a Denizen or Subdenizen? Anything that could be classed as an Entity? Speaking of Entities, the fuck is 002 up to? Where's the spot that it's hard to look at and the brain doesn't want to acknowledge?

Also Combat Drones are to be arrayed to properly defend the camp from all sides.

Techies are to make sure everything is working properly and all defenses are properly built, sleep deprivation tends to cause mistakes. Best to double check.

"Aren't you all glad we brought those monkeys? Think of how absolutely awful this siege would have gone if we hadn't brought them. Speaking of which, we need more monkeys."

Tal requests another three dozen monkeys to come with the next supply drop.

Oh! And doctors are to do checkups on everyone, make sure nobody is buggered or in general not healthy.

"On a different note. Everyone who still has a ritual knife please return them. Accidentally cutting yourself with one without proper training is completely fatal. If you are interested in said training come talk to me once everyone gets their bearings and the camp is confirmed to be functional. Seriously though. Don't cut yourselves with those. It's lethal."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:19:13 am by Kevak »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2847 on: February 20, 2016, 06:22:51 am »

Zach wakes up and finds Tal, "Look, man, I was out of sorts earlier. I'm sorry. I did have the dream I told you of and... then it just went away. Then there was void, like that one time I was put under general anesthetic. Anyway, who cares if its contagious or not, I still need all of the other samples, but I'm going to need help analyzing them. You're the one with the PHD, not me"

Zach puts an order in for another three-dozen knives and a 3d printer with standalone power generator to be brought along too. He also requests his bow (which he forgot to bring, it's on its mount above his bed) and three-dozen arrows and a crate of cheap weapons of all sorts to experiment on to pass the time (Pistols, knife blades, durable rope, mechanisms, electronics and the like. A 'field DIY R&D')

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: February 20, 2016, 06:38:28 am »

The supply drop is going to have to wait.

Everyone is more concerned about waking up to piles of maimed and melted monkey corpses with ritualistic symbols drawn all over the camp in blood. "What the fuck happened?" is a very valid question to people waking up having no recollection of the events leading to that.

Tal's managed to learn that 002 is constantly moving. There's always a new spot where it's hard to look and your brain not wanting to recognize it. Alas, the Mysterious benefactor continues to be mysterious in a questionably beneficial way.

Using HD cameras on the drones, so far you've only seen the flying rusher still resting at the nestling area. The ones making movements down there at the castle so far seems to be of a single subtype as far as you can tell. They appear similar to the mindless rushers, but zooming in hard enough and you'll see them wearing what appears to be armor of mismatched uniform. Some chainmail, some what looks like leather, some even a sort of light plate! they are also armed with different weapons ranging from improvised farming implements to what seems to be actual swords. Spears, maces and the likes are present as well. Bows, crossbows and even slings are also spotted.

There are also a few horror knights accompanying them, which could mean that they are leading this new subtype of dwellers. Or that they're just one of the elite ones amongst them..

No obvious Denizens or Subdenizens are seen yet, though. But they're still mustering numbers.. You can't quite count them accurately but you wouldn't be surprise if they're approaching a thousand already.

Techies are double-checking the defense of the camp, still freaked out over waking up to such a weird scene..

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2849 on: February 20, 2016, 06:46:20 am »

Zach grabs a pencil and paper, goes down to a table and starts drawing up weapon designs. One such being a knife with a pistol as a handle and guard. Another design has a shotgun barrel as one end of a spear with the head being at the other, the recoil from a shotgun blast blank enhancing the power behind the thrust. Another design is a rotary cannon that uses a belt of shotgun shells as opposed to bullets or autocannon rounds.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 612