Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven caravan turns around and leaves?  (Read 968 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven caravan turns around and leaves?
« on: August 07, 2015, 08:22:14 pm »

I have a fort that's been running for a number of in-game years. I've been growing slowly, but this is the first fall I qualified to get a parasite (i.e. baron).

The caravan arrived with a "no liason? how curious." when there had been a liason every time before. That's not what's puzzling me, because I know that can happen if something happens to them en route (or the civilization).

What puzzles me is that as soon as the first wagon of the caravan got to my depot, all the wagons and pack-beasts turned around and started leaving. No explaination. (No, it didn't take them any longer than usual to find my way to the depot; it's pretty easily/quickly accessibal.

Anyone know what could cause this to happen? Nothing in the announcements, nothing in the combat reports. They just turned around for seemingly know reason.

(All the supplies I ordered last year are driving off the edge of my map! And if I do anything to stop them, it would cause a loyalty cascade.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven caravan turns around and leaves?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »

Think I've solved it.

Looks like one of my dorfs may have channeled the ground out from under one of the wagons, causing it to fall one z-level and scuttle. I suspect that the wagon getting destroyed is what caused the caravan to leave.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:09 pm »

That or something spooked the pulling animals (e.g., wild animals or dead bodies.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:59:05 am »

This can also happen if your trade depot takes too long to reach, I know this isn't your problem but its another thing to watch out for.  Caravans only plan on staying for so long... and if it takes them that long to get to your depot.. they'll turn around and leave. This is mostly a problem if you go overboard on defenses and the caravan's roundabout bypass of them (since it needs to be longer than the enemy path to force them down the right one), or you tried to build a depot all the way down by the magma sea, etc.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:51:40 am »

That or something spooked the pulling animals (e.g., wild animals or dead bodies.)
This. If it's dead bodies, it can be solved by dumping all the bodies into lava. I made shaft 80 levels down, so the dumping would get faster. Depending on the amount of dead bodies outside, it still takes a while. Oh, and you need to tell the dwarves to collect garbage from outside.

Bonus: this also results in fewer tantrums by dwarves that have seen to many corpses.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!