Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Discarded clothes...in the farm?  (Read 3746 times)

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Discarded clothes...in the farm?
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

Note: this post is slightly off-color and might not be appropriate for all audiences.

There is an awful lot of discarded clothing in my farm.  And I am disturbed contemplating why.

Do the dwarves prefer to garden au natural?  We don't have any potash...are they getting creative with alternative fertilizers?   :eek:

Maybe (I hope!) it's just warm and humid in there.

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discarded clothes...in the farm?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

Are the discarded items still owned by a dwarf? You can use [k] I believe to check out the items. I'm assuming that the items are worn (as in tattered), and that's why they've been discarded (XX in front of and after the items will tell you the degree of wear). If you had a death in your farm, dwarves may be exchanging their worn items for the dead dwarves' clothes I suppose.

Once you have rooms that contain cabinets for your dwarves, dwarves that perform item hauling jobs will store their owned items. Heaven forbid you get a Elite Military Unit or Military Champion (they Need Not Work, and therefore won't store items). If the clothes have no owner, than I usually shove them in the Trade Depot and trade them away next time a Caravan comes.

Personally, I can hardly wait until the "dwarf clothing" issues get fixed, right now, many players avoid creating textiles at all because of the unhappy thoughts generated by their dwarves whenever anything is worn. They won't always take off worn items, and even though they're wearing +cave spider silk trousers+ and XXpig tail trousersXX they still get unhappy thoughts from wearing tattered clothing.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

About 2/3 of them are not worn at all, the rest are only one-X worn.  Most of the bedrooms contain a cabinet and a coffer; only the newer bedrooms have just a bed.   And there is waaaay too much stuff in the fortress to get all of it into the trade depot; it's Felsite 1062 and this is the first fortress in this world.

For some reason I don't like chasming stuff.  Granted, there are traps along every entrance to the chasm, but dropping trash on the denizen's heads seems both impolite and dangerous.

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

You can trade those items to the caravans. Damaged items still seem to retain their trading value. And you can still trade them even if they belong to some dwarf. I successfully traded small piles of 2-3 coins in the past, and they were coming from the dwarves quarters.

As for the main problem... Are you playing on a scorching map? If yes, consider checking if the migrants come with a lot of clothing on them. On hot maps, dwarves don't need a lot of cloth. But even if this theory was true, I have no idea why they remove those clothes at the farm out of any other place in your fortress.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>I have no idea why they remove those clothes at the farm out of any other place in your fortress.</STRONG>

The unlikely is likely.

Less confusingly, it is likely that highly unlikely things will happen. Not specific unlikely things; it is highly unlikely that you will win the lottery, but it is very likely that something highly unlikely will happen.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:11:00 am »

quote:
 The unlikely is likely.
Less confusingly, it is likely that highly unlikely things will happen. Not specific unlikely things; it is highly unlikely that you will win the lottery, but it is very likely that something highly unlikely will happen.

Uhh, ninjas on the what now?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:21:00 am »

Hmm, I wonder how thick plumb helmets are... Maybe they grow in large stacks lyke wheat, easy to hide in...
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

I personally think plump helmets are some sort of melon, like a pumpkin or a watermelon or something.  The name would fit, and also the fact that you can eat them raw.

If so, then they wouldn't provide much cover - melon plants are best descriped as vinelike things that creep over the ground.  Not very good cover unless you're 6 inches high!  XD

Now, I bet cave wheat grows in large stacks...

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

Maybe their using their clothes for something then leaving them there. My craftsdwarf decided to decorate his own pants with bone.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

Read The Wiki

Plump helmets are mushrooms.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SnowWhite:
<STRONG>
For some reason I don't like chasming stuff.  Granted, there are traps along every entrance to the chasm, but dropping trash on the denizen's heads seems both impolite and dangerous.</STRONG>

you forgot and completely hilarious. Whenever ratment (what i've got both times I've made it to the chasm) attack me I make ratmen skull totems and chasm those  :( it wouldn't even be so bad (or rather, I could tolerate it) if they always just dropped worn clothes but it seems like wearing pants till they rot off you is the #1 cause of tauntrums in my fort.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!