Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Really. Bad. Day.  (Read 5617 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Really. Bad. Day.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 08:26:16 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 11:10:25 pm »

...Hm. Could've sworn you needed antibiotics if it got infected. o_o

Also that was a screwup on my part in which I accidentally skipped over a sentence or so of text. Whoops. :v
Indeed.  I never knew first aid kits cured infection as well.  Lessons learned, and to be usefully applied in future games as well. ^_^

Though, I did learn at some point that a slight chance of naturally fighting off infection, without medication, was introduced in one of the more recent versions.  I mostly learned that because while gearing up for a suicide run to get antibiotics on my final day, I suddenly got a mention in the log that I just recovered from an infection by dumb luck.  I don't think rolling dice until either you get lotto or three days pass is a viable survival strategy, though. :P

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 04:49:38 am »

Spoiler: Arts & Crafts (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 09:31:59 pm »

Spoiler: Scavenging (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:57:17 pm »

Spoiler: Exploration (click to show/hide)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 03:30:36 pm »

Nice, we've got a mansion. Better clear it out for tomorrow then try stripping it for supplies. What are we in need of that neither we nor the mansion have?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 06:06:47 pm »

What skills to you need to cure hides?

Been playing this game due to this LP.  Although I cheap out with Static Spawns, which basically means a train of characters empty out the towns for the few survivors to conquer.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 07:59:55 pm »

Nice, we've got a mansion. Better clear it out for tomorrow then try stripping it for supplies. What are we in need of that neither we nor the mansion have?

Mansion seriously lacks a library, which I really like in mansions.  No shortage of dining rooms, though.  Only one bedroom.  If we decide to settle in, Lorelle is also going to have a field day (several, likely) digging defensive trenches around all of the windows to stop zombies coming in.  Solid log walls would also work, but I quite like having a view from my windows.

What we really need is a source of running water.  I can use funnels, of course, but that will screw us over come winter when it's all just snow, or during summer if there's a dry spell.  If we can find one within a map chunk, we'll be set in this mansion.

A swamp wouldn't be bad either.  Swamps can be a source of salty water, which means a source of salt, essential for some cooking recipes and for...

What skills to you need to cure hides?

Been playing this game due to this LP.  Although I cheap out with Static Spawns, which basically means a train of characters empty out the towns for the few survivors to conquer.

Curing hides requires a raw hide or raw pelt (which you can get from large animals and some monsters), salt (or salty water or saline) and a knife or other cutting tool.  This stage is literally just scraping the pelt of dead flesh and salting it to prevent decay.  This gets you cured hides (or pelts), which aren't quite usable yet.  You can convert cured pelts into hides at no cost (there's a recipe which suggests you just cut the fur off).

Tanning the hide requires said cured hide; tanbark (from blackjack oaks) or acorns (from said oaks) or hops (if you have a farm) or pine boughs (if you have nothing else); salt, saline or salty water; tallow, tainted tallow or lard (from cooking fat); fire, a knife and a pot.

This gets you the 'tanning leather hide' item, which you can leave on the ground for three days (or however long) until it is finished tanning.  You then activate it and bam, you have a piece of leather hide.  A piece of hide is worth several scraps of leather from zombie boots, so if you have the infrastructure set up it's a worthwhile industry.

There is another way to tan hides, but you still need salt to cure them and that recipe is in a recipe book.

I too use Static Spawn, but that's because I like having the challenge of Brutes and Smokers from day one.  Never really thought of Dynamic as being easier, especially as with the roving hordes I still get Zeds of all shapes and sizes on my doorstep (and zombears).

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »

What we really need is a source of running water.  I can use funnels, of course, but that will screw us over come winter when it's all just snow, or during summer if there's a dry spell.  If we can find one within a map chunk, we'll be set in this mansion.

The mansion's got a swimming pool though. All the water you could ever need and then some.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 10:59:28 pm »

I heard roving hordes was broken.  If not, maybe I'll gen a world with some.

More specifically on the hides, what do I do mechanically to cure the hide?  Is it a formula that will appear at certain skill levels?  What are those skill levels?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 12:14:55 am »

Man, the game's come a long way since 0.A. I should upgrade my machine at some point so it can handle 0.C. Roving hordes, in particular, sound like they'd really spice up the later game; in the stone-age version I'm stuck with, if you clear out most of the zombies in a 10-tile radius and aren't within loading distance of a fungal spire you're set for life.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 07:12:10 am »

The mansion's got a swimming pool though. All the water you could ever need and then some.

Holy crap, you're right!  Swimming pool it is!

I heard roving hordes was broken.  If not, maybe I'll gen a world with some.

More specifically on the hides, what do I do mechanically to cure the hide?  Is it a formula that will appear at certain skill levels?  What are those skill levels?

Definitely not broken, or at least broken in such a way as to appear and give me hell, which seems to be the intended use.

Curing hides pops up once you have enough survival (about 3?) which you can grind by butchering corpses and foraging ('e') undergrowth in the woods.  It's in the 'Other' section of the crafting menu, under 'Materials'.  You might need a level or two of cooking as well, can't remember.

Man, the game's come a long way since 0.A. I should upgrade my machine at some point so it can handle 0.C. Roving hordes, in particular, sound like they'd really spice up the later game; in the stone-age version I'm stuck with, if you clear out most of the zombies in a 10-tile radius and aren't within loading distance of a fungal spire you're set for life.

The big thing to find out is whether the queen blob ever made it in. - spoilers!*  I guess we'll find that out.

*But not if you're running the darkling theme, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:55:41 am by Iituem »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 07:38:18 am »

*But not if you're running the darkling theme, I guess.

You can use

Code: [Select]
[color=transparent][/color]
and then it doesn't matter what theme you're using.

Edit: Edited out the spoiler. Probably should have done that in the first place. >.>

Hey, something I can contribute, even if not directly to the thread! \o/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:57:42 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:54 am »

Ooh, thanks.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 09:58:53 am »

You're welcome. ^^^ Least I can do in exchange for something entertaining to read.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 [2] 3