Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Really. Bad. Day.  (Read 5610 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cataclysm: Really. Bad. Day.
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:56:01 am »

Early Spring, 2081, Logandale, New England

The world just ended.  Worse, I have a headache that would split wood.  So last night Todd breaks up with me (my fault, getting with a guy called Todd, I mean what the hell sort of name is that anyway?) and I decide fuck it all, I'm going on a bender.  I'm already paralytic with the 'flu, out of cough syrup, so I sit down on the empty floor in my new house's study, crack open some gin and work my way through the bottle.  There's screaming and banging sounds, and I reckon some arsehole neighbour has the telly on too loud, makes me jump, and I end up dropping the bottle and cutting my hand open!  God, I need to get that cleaned at some point.  So at this point it's all too much for me.  I run myself a bath, get in for a good soak and when I get out there are people in the streets killing each other, one guy is literally trying to eat someone else and my house is on fire!

My house.  My house that I paid three hundred grand for and just moved into three weeks ago for my fancy new editor job is on fire.  What the fuck.  What the flying, fraternising fuck?

I am drunk, sick, I've just cut my arm open, my house is on fire and the dead walk the earth, reaving the living.

Really.  Bad.  Day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:10:05 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Really. Bad. Day.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:35:54 pm »

Spoiler: Zed Day, My House (click to show/hide)

For clarity:  Forest, or more Urban Scavenging?  Scavenging at this stage is very, very dangerous, but there are useful items in Logandale.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:45:56 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:51:35 pm »

Do you have any proper weapons in the vicinity? Even 2x4s from smashed up furniture would count. Fisticuffs is all well and good, but it's a death sentence if you're an amateur surrounded by a ravening horde.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »

If I can find a bladed object, I can cut a cudgel, which is an excellent starting weapon.  Can do that in town (find a knife) or in the woods (make a knife).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:48:50 pm »

I vote the woods, then. Safest bet. Anyone agree?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:51:07 pm »

Woods.

If you can find a car, even better.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:16:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh rereading, looks like you just wanted "scavenge or woods".  Uhh scavenge a bit but be careful and ready to run for it :D

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:03:46 pm »

I'm just going to PTW this, even if I contribute little due to never lasting long in C:DDA.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »

You need to get rid of that wound or you're dead in a day or two.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:43:43 pm »

Spoiler: Woodland Survival (click to show/hide)

[Some very useful advice there.  Have followed, for the most part.  Don't have the fabrication skill for the knife spear, also wasn't aware it had reach.]

Lorelle, a red-haired woman with pale skin and green eyes, is wearing a white fedora, a black leather corset over a white long-sleeved shirt (rolled up at the elbows), a patchwork white scarf around her neck, cargo pants, sneakers and wraps of cloth around her hands.  She wields a slender wooden rod as her preferred weapon.

Spoiler: OotS Style! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:38:11 am by Iituem »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 01:49:54 am »

You're going to need to run into town pretty soon and organize a strike on that pharmacy. That wound is going to kill you.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 06:43:58 am »

Ah, I might not have made it clear enough; there were first aid kits in the house basement, so I disinfected and cleaned it already (and cured the existing infection).  But you're right, if there wasn't we'd be beelining it towards a doctor's/pharmacy.  o_o

For those less familiar with Cata, the basic medical setup is as follows (note, basic):

Bandages - Heal hitpoints depending on first aid skill.  Can be used to stop bleeding.
Rags - A less effective bandage.  Can use them as with bandages, but lower chance of working.
A Knife + Fire / A Hotplate - If you're bleeding out, you can use this to cauterise the wound.  Hurts like buggery, and doesn't always succeed, but if you have nothing else it'll do.  You can also use it to clean nasty wounds through the power of fire before they become infected.
Painkillers - This includes aspirin, poppy painkillers, tramadol, codeine, oxycodone, and heroin in order of increasing strength.  Doesn't help you recover health, but pain interferes with everything you do.  Can get addicted to painkillers, more easily than you think.
Disinfectant - If a wound is not yet infected, but the bite feels unusually painful, you can use this to clean it out.  Safer and more effective than cauterising yourself.
Antibiotics - If your wound is already infected, one of only two ways to cure the infection and survive.  Infection will kill you unless you can cure it.
First Aid Kit - A little of everything.  Heals you better than bandages, cleans and disinfects wounds, cures existing infection and stops bleeding.  An excellent tool.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 07:59:32 am »

...Hm. Could've sworn you needed antibiotics if it got infected. o_o

Also that was a screwup on my part in which I accidentally skipped over a sentence or so of text. Whoops. :v
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:02:31 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:14 am »

Spoiler: Food & Shelter (click to show/hide)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 11:03:33 am »

I skimmed through this to catch myself up and I couldn't help but notice in the latest post you were inhaling smoke form the fire. I'd suggest standing a tile away from the fire until you get a fireplace. It'll keep you from unnecessarily losing torso health.

Besides that, I don't really have much else to contribute besides telling you to go see if you can make a makeshift shelter. Needs about 15 pine boughs and some heavy sticks, but it is essentially a tile of indoor space that'll protect you from rain and the like. Requires 2 survival though.
Pages: [1] 2 3