Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Army Discussion  (Read 2237 times)

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Army Discussion
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

Well, I had one of my jewlers training to become a siege operator since my other jewler had just become a legendary. When low and behold the other jewler has a secretive mood as well. I was like... well crap. Then when he got done with the mood I left him on Siege operation cause he was already professional.

Hehe, now he is a High Master Operator and fires the damn catapult like it was a bolt action rifle with a clip. It will be freaking insane when I get him behind a ballista with a few loads of bolts behind it during a siege. I love him.

As a side note, it is a pain in the arse to outfit an entire army with steel equiptment! But, I hope it will all be worth it. I am going to see if I can have a rather large standing army on this barren map I am on. Oh, I am unsure about this, but, if you create something better then what the dwarf is using, like a steel crossbow, will he put his old one down and pick up the better one?

[ August 20, 2007: Message edited by: Tarrasque ]

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Army Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrasque:
<STRONG> Oh, I am unsure about this, but, if you create something better then what the dwarf is using, like a steel crossbow, will he put his old one down and pick up the better one?

[ August 20, 2007: Message edited by: Tarrasque ]</STRONG>

No it won't...

This is one of those irritating things, the only way to solve them is to put the crossbow into a room, force the dwarf to drop his weapons, move him into that room; lock the door, then make him pick up a crossbow. He'll automatically pick up the closest one.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Haedrian:
<STRONG>

No it won't...

This is one of those irritating things, the only way to solve them is to put the crossbow into a room, force the dwarf to drop his weapons, move him into that room; lock the door, then make him pick up a crossbow. He'll automatically pick up the closest one.</STRONG>

Ah, that sucks. Well, I guess I am glad I built an iron crossbow instead of just using the bronze I had on hand. I suppose eventually I will upgrade to steel. Thanks for the answer. It won't be too hard to make them put the crossbow down and such though. Undraft > set to unarmed > Redraft(after they drop) > Move to stockpile with the crossbow > Set to crossbow weapon.

Also, I just realised how much limestone I am going through by making this much darn steel, heh. Oh well, I guess it is good there is quite a bit on the map. I just have gauntlets to go on my nine dwarves in my military to have a full set of Steel Plate.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

Well, I had a legendary miner, who picked up a copper pick by mistake, he never dropped that(I didn't really care about that, though)

You can set him un-armed, build a pile which contains only steel/iron crossbow and let him stand there. Then you set him use-crossbow.

[ August 20, 2007: Message edited by: utunnels ]

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

You can recycle old weapons and armor or just chasm them you know  :) After they are gone then reactivate the squad, then deactivate the next to start another wave of refits.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:46:00 am »

Hm, well, right now I am just making sure all my dwarves have steel plate. Although, I think I screwed up and thought that one pair of making high boots made only a single one. So I have 9 spare pairs of high boots. Which means probrably time to melt em down, steel is a very important metal.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

I do have a question about safe training. When you have military is it good enough to just outfit them in plate armor, or should you go for full suits? I remember reading somewhere that it is best to train up wrestling first to get skills up?

Also, does training with weapons tend to do a lot more nasty things to dwarves' health?

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

"Also, does training with weapons tend to do a lot more nasty things to dwarves' health?" -- Tarrasque

Yes, sometimes terminally nasty.  I've had a small handful of dwarves die while sparring.  But I also have two champions and a few elites or lords so it balances out.

One champion had a disturbing series of memories.  I don't remember them word-for-word but it was something like:
Erith has been estatic lately.  She had a good sparring session lately.  She has witness death.  She accidentally caused the death of a sparring partner lately.  She had a great drink lately.

quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

Hehe, that made me chuckle. Sounds like you have a good dwarf in the military. Although, I am pretty sure it is taking into account that your dwarf has had multiple sparring sessions.

Should I have them spar with weapons or wrestle for a while? Cause I had some dwarves on wrestling for a few years and they were all still dabbling. It sort of angered me.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 03:45:00 am »

I hate to ask again twice, but, I did not see it on the Wiki when I looked through it again. I know sparring damage happends. However, is it better to have the dwarves spar with their weapons of choice first? Or is it better to have them wrestle eachother for a while and then switch them to their weapons.

oksir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 04:44:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>I hate to ask again twice, but, I did not see it on the Wiki when I looked through it again. I know sparring damage happends. However, is it better to have the dwarves spar with their weapons of choice first? Or is it better to have them wrestle eachother for a while and then switch them to their weapons.</STRONG>

By far most important is to give all your sparring dwarves good armor. If they are in full suits of bronze plate armor and have a shield, fatalities almost never happen.

You don't need to start them as wrestlers for melee fighters, but marksdwarves do benefit from it. If you want to train marksdwarves, it's worth it to train them as hammerdwarves first, or wrestlers if you don't have any hammers yet. Marksdwarves don't spar, they just shoot at archery ranges, so their armor and melee skills never improve. This makes them terribly slow, and dead meat if they ever get caught by an enemy. By training them in melee first before giving them a crossbow they aren't completely helpless.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 05:03:00 am »

Ah, thank you. I have never really had a military that I needed to train a lot, however, I tend to outfit the meele dwarves in full steel plate armor. The 3\4 effectiveness of iron armor of bronze does not hurt too much with dwarves' training? I will still outfit my real meele dwarves in steel, but, copper might be good enough for marksdwarves if it doesn't really have that much of an effect.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 06:14:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Ah, thank you. I have never really had a military that I needed to train a lot, however, I tend to outfit the meele dwarves in full steel plate armor. The 3\4 effectiveness of iron armor of bronze does not hurt too much with dwarves' training? I will still outfit my real meele dwarves in steel, but, copper might be good enough for marksdwarves if it doesn't really have that much of an effect.</STRONG>

Bronze is enough to keep dwarfs realtively safe while sparing, but steel is better.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:12:00 am »

Bah, I wish I could make like crappy copper bolts or something and the dwarves would practice with them.

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Tarrasque ]

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Bah, I wish I could make like crappy copper bolts or something and the dwarves would practice with them.</STRONG>

Ah, but you can.  Make wooden or bone bolts, they will use them for practice.  You will also need to build several archery targets and define the size and direction of the archery range for each of them.

0x517A5D

Pages: [1] 2