Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: Sector Unknown (Spaceship RPG)  (Read 44090 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Sector Unknown (Spaceship Political RPG)
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:37 am »

I'm counting the military captain as a soldier for purpose of balance.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:13 am »

We got two soldiers. One navigation. One captain. two engineers. One Medic. And one military captain.

Sounds good.

BTW, Good to see you again, Playergamer! hug.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:18 am »

Good to see you too, Azkanan! hugz
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 09:07:08 am »

Without the influence system, what does personality and leadership even do? It seems like that stat may need to accompany the influence system.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2015, 09:21:23 am »

But what would influence even do?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:31 am »

There was going to be an influence system that gave you bonuses to persuasion based on leadership and personality, but that has been removed from the game. I'm asking what the leadership stat does now that we dont have the influence system.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2015, 09:57:19 am »

Who qwould you pursued?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2015, 09:59:49 am »

Who qwould you pursued?

I hope you mean suggest. I would suggest removing that stat and let players and situations speak for themselves. This would also allow the players who took the leadership stats to put them into something useful.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 10:07:06 am »

It could just be the sort of thing to determine interactions with NPCs, if the player doesn't themselves have a silver tongue, but wants to play someone who does.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 10:26:59 am »

I'm more worried about the mechanical aspects. If one player is trying to get by on the silver tongue alone, while another player is getting flat bonuses, it makes argumentation pointless. Someone could make a really good argument, but be trumped by a +3 for persuasion.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 10:40:44 am »

So don't rely purely on that. It says 'personality'. It isn't flat numbers, it's a measure of how favorably they might view your argument. Some people can make a poor argument sound good just by virtue of being the ones saying it. You can't do it on numbers alone, but if someone decides to be a silver-tongued virtuoso with 0 points in Personality, well, that's trying to get more out of your character than everyone else does for the same amount of points.

I'm saying that it won't work by 'bonuses trump everything'. It'll work by one person making a really good argument, and someone else with 2 points in personality in leadership making a fairly decent argument, and the NPC can't decide who to go with. That's how charisma works. It's not always logical, just how people aren't always logical.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

Finally home! Finalising the game for first turn now. Positions locked.

As for the 'silver tongue' skills, it's likely to be used mostly for morale, combat situations, npc interactions and possibly tie-breakers. It is true that it was perfect the influence system, but with that gone, the silver tongue skills will most likely be for non-character interactions.

FYI if people want to join the game still, you'll be looking at partaking in turn 2 onwards at this point.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2015, 01:17:22 pm »

Spoiler: Endorsement (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:44:53 pm by Shaporia »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 02:00:42 pm »

Episode 1: The Awakening

Game Start Summary (kept up to date in OP)

Crisis

The Deimos shakes and shudders like a relentless cough of an old man; boxes
and loose items break free from their compartments, chipping and bouncing from the
walls and sleeper pods.

Helga's voice softly, incoherently, calls out to those crew members with damaged pods.
Those that respond are suddenly flushed with awakening agents, their plasteel pod covers
opening; some entirely, some half-way and others creaking to an immediate stop, their
mechanisms malfunctioning with age, but otherwise pushed aside.

Many of the pods are damaged, resulting in numerous bruises, grazes and some wounds
on those awakened. The surviving men and women vomit and splutter out the sleeper fluid
in a room dimly lit by the interior face-lights of the pods.

Hint: Any member of staff can interact with Helga, but some interactions are locked off
by permissions.

Hint: The gameplay is progressive - think Dungeons and Dragons. When things need to happen
the game will Pause - but otherwise continue. I'll be playing the role of Helga and Dice
Rolls, with help.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:55:09 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sector Unknown (Spaceship RPG)
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2015, 02:15:21 pm »

Mac stumbles out of the pod, sputtering and coughing, his legs aching. He looks around and the room for anyone else who has awakened.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:17:01 pm by tntey »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44