Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)  (Read 21861 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West-Ch.1/The Shadow of the Storm (Game thread)
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2015, 06:12:31 pm »

Sal begins to tap his foot on the floor, like in the train carriage.

"Well, I 'spose I've got one or two things. There's a few songs I've learned around the campfire, 'bout life in the saddle."

He looks down at his boots for a few moments, before speaking.

"Also got the story of how they took my pa away. It's not some fancy story like that lady told, it happened only a couple years back, out in the prairie."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2015, 06:32:22 pm »

The Orinost Relic is owned by that angry, red-haired young warrior, who took over for the injured leader. His mood doesn't seem to have improved...

'This is not a thing I stole.' he insists. 'Since those who owned it lie dead. The dead cannot own things. You are of the Orinost. There is no more Orinost. I will not allow it be sold cheaply...it is a useful thing. I don't want it. It gives ill luck. Those who owned it lie dead.' He says, intending to imply causation causing correlation...or something. 'Give me good luck. And, I will give you bad luck.' He says, pointing a long, bony finger to the Handyman. He refuses to elaborate further.

You remember when everyone in Orinost has something like this on their person...they were viewed as amusing toys, despite the intricate technology contained within. Times change...

"There are still the ghosts of Orinost, and those are our grave-goods. " Wen-Li said dryly.
"Still, a trade is only fair... but good luck is not something that those of Orinost have in abundance. I can offer an appeal to spirits, or perhaps something else."

The Shamanic Lore is offered by a group of very old Horsefolk...

"Speaking to Furies. You wish a thing that can cause you much pain. You cannot speak to a living flame without suffering the burns. You cannot speak to water-it will fill your lungs, quiet you forever. You must learn a balance of pain to properly hold the furies within in your hands. Or, you will not be here for very long.

We will trade you secrets...you give us some secrets in return. A story no one has ever heard. A story no one should ever hear. A story that may cause you pain. If you can stand to give us your pain, we will teach you the secret words."

"I do not flinch from the fire that burns the heart, because what does ashes have to fear? But the furies remember... and sometimes, they can tell, and sometimes they can listen. If the words are known.

Listen closely, for I will tell this but the once.

As in so many of these stories, there was a woman. She had a twin, who she loved dearly. Her twin sister was beautiful in spirit, but crippled in body - her legs could not function. Her sister cared for her as best she could, and made a living singing and telling tales. She would learn all she could, and recite what she learnt to her bed-ridden sister. The joy in her face to hear of distant lands and wondrous events... it rivalled the dawn in its brightness, and was no less beloved.

The land they lived in was peaceful, but a dark force was gathering on the horizon. Still, the sisters did not worry, for their kingdom was invincible and blessed. The furies sang in harmony from the rooftops, and the machinery clicked to their tune.

They were deceived by their own hearts. The storm broke, and the ramparts flooded in a torrent, of raging men and wicked hearts. The furies, the technology, the blades, all had failed and drowned in the deluge of greed and hate that poured into the city.

The sisters had to run, to leave, but one with legs cannot run for two. They headed for the workshop of the able-sister's patron, carrying her upon her back. Perhaps something there could help them, let the sisters escape together. Of course not. There was only cruelty in the fates... The Widow-Queen was keening, and all of Orinost meant what that meant.

Soldiers of the Enemy. Bloated with evil joy, addled on the scents of a despoiled city. They burst from the alleys like trap-door spiders. One sister could get away, but not two. To fight was to die. To stay was to die.

Before the crippled sister c-could know, she was dead - a knife through the eye killed quickly, before the knowledge of the future could be known. A-and a sister ran, not brave enough to die.

And now no sisters live, though perhaps one still walks. The face of one is the face of both, and so... to look openly is to be reminded of a sister's lack of courage... but hidden enough, with a mask."

Her head fell forward onto her chest as she slumped forward, and her eyes, if they open, were hidden in shadow.

"I am a ghost of whispers," she said, halfway between a laugh and a sob. "It seems fitting I tell the tale to speak to the same."

The Beast Tales are offered with less dramatics, however.

"A Warrior shares his best tales with the other warriors." A young one boasts-hardly into his adult years, with spiky hair painted turtle-shell green. It's likely he's been on many hunts, despite his age, and he seems interested in you. "Tell me how well you fight, woman of the Orinost. Spin me a story from your weave about yourself, as a great warrior. I like a pretty lie, like I like a pretty lady...like you. Tomorrow, we will be hunting the Werejacken, and we may die-tonight, I am alive and will give you a stories of the things, I and my father have seen over our hunts. This is a fair deal for both of us, don't you think?" he says, flicking his tail rebelliously. You notice his Horsefolk grammar is a bit off-he's probably comfortable speaking to you on human terms.

It had been a while, and any loss of composure was easily buried behind her mask.

"Now, strength is important, indeed. But the greatest warriors are clever - none are as strong as the dragon-tiger, but the witty hunter may slay him regardless, and take his hide to wear. This tale is true as the moon, you have my word.

In Orinost, the spirits are many, and some furies found their homes in bodies of steel. One wandering fury, curious as the wind, found itself in such a body. As the master of the workshop had worked, I had sung a song to inspire him, and the curious fury had followed the echoes from the hollow chest of the machine right into the spirit-core. But it could not get out! Oh, it twisted and turned, hurling it's limbs to and fro, but all to no avail.

It grew enraged, and with iron claws, it decided that I had tricked it in there. It lunged for me, and I had to flee, the great beast clanking behind me!

Now, many machines do not like water, so I headed towards the lake at the bottom of the hills. I had to stay close, so its rage was focused on me, but it had long reach, and I had to dance and dodge all the way. Finally, I had lured it all the way down to the lake... and I jumped in the water, and it followed.

Alas, the furies of the lake were the cousins - as far as spirits have family - and they would not let the water harm the machine. So, evading every attack, I played a song that so enraptured the lake spirits they forgot to keep the water from the iron-fury, and it seized long enough for me to merely reach in-"
and she elegantly waggled a white-gloved hand "- and tear the fury-core from its open chest. Through cleverness, victory, for there is more than one kind of strength. To remember the combat, I made a mask."
Click! and she was wearing a mask, with a triumphant flourish. This one was unlike the others - hard and angular steel, with a grill over the mouth and two pieces of dark jade over the eyes.
"Each time I wear this mask, I am reminded of my victory."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2015, 11:35:00 am »

"There are still the ghosts of Orinost, and those are our grave-goods. " Wen-Li said dryly.
"Still, a trade is only fair... but good luck is not something that those of Orinost have in abundance. I can offer an appeal to spirits, or perhaps something else."

"This thing belongs to the Ghosts of Orinost, they should have it. You are no true Ghost..." He says, matching your dry tone.

~snip snip~

And yet, your sad tale afterwards-intended or not-seems to have moved him. There is also an element of using his cunning wordplay against him, something the Horsefolk respect. He claimed it belonged to the dead, after all...and you are the Ghost of Whispers.

He drops the Handyman into your waiting palm.

"Bad Luck." He declares, simply.

The Shamans are of a similar mind.

"...You have shared your pain with us. We are sorry you had to...sacrifice proves honesty. You have earned the right to host the Furies. You must know the secret. It it is balance. One Fury, alone, consumes endlessly-every element must be in coordination, or you will not be here long. Fire unchecked consumes the plains grass. Rain and wind and earth can stop it. A mighty wind can blow down a house of sticks, not a house of stone. The roots of the Earth tear down the mightiest of towers, and the Earth stops at the river.

You must take these words..."
They say, an Old Horsefolk Woman leaning down to speak in your ear...

Spoiler: Fury Magic 101 (click to show/hide)

The Young Horsefolk nods, enjoying your tale...though, you suspect he might have liked more action.

"A clever warrior is a strong warrior. This is a thing I will remember.

I owe you tales. Let's call for three? Choose three stories, and I will tell you what I saw, and heard.

The Werejacken
The Jiaolong (Or, Water Dragon.)
The Nine Head Phoenix
The Avalanche Tortoise
The Shan Yangs
The Mothmen
The Owl Devil
The Yuan Ren (Ape Man)

"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:47:57 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2015, 12:46:37 pm »

Gulušun Tan remains incongruous, incomprehensible, a mess of limbs and broken quasi-human shapes, not at all unlike a shattered mirror. Alternate squeaks resembling affirmation and negation (perhaps more from expectation than actual resemblance) are heard with each movement, no rhyme or reason to any of them.

In a troubling note, none of this was in any way unusual.

You wake up. You remember nothing of your dream...which is probably for the best.

Still in your cell, you know it has only been a few hours. You have a lot of time to kill...your cell door isn't locked, so it's clear they are allowing you some freedom of movement. The sounds of your 'guards' can be heard down the hall, quietly playing some sort of card game.

What now?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2015, 01:23:49 pm »

Gulušun Tan stares at the ceiling for a moment. A sense of place slowly dawns on him. Rising from his sleeping spot, he takes a good moment to clear his throat, spitting a chunky, unidentifiable fragment into a corner. Shaking himself off, he gets up and straightens himself out. Wiping off a slight amount of greasy sweat off his brow with a sleeve, he assumes a blank expression and a restless twitch in his right arm quiets down.

Immanuel Jade can now begin the long day.

Action: Immanuel Jade quietly, discreetly opens the door and steps outside, taking stock of his surroundings once more.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2015, 07:20:32 am »

"Ah, how can a collector of stories choose? " Wen-Li exclaimed in mock horror.
"But tell me of the werejacken, the mothmen, and the water dragon."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:14:36 pm by GiglameshDespair »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »

Spoiler: The Werejacken (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Mothmen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Water Dragon (click to show/hide)

'...What do you think, Lady? Are my stories good? Do you think I could be a storyteller like you?" he asks, with thinly disguised eagerness.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:08:59 pm by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2015, 01:41:36 pm »

Gulušun Tan stares at the ceiling for a moment. A sense of place slowly dawns on him. Rising from his sleeping spot, he takes a good moment to clear his throat, spitting a chunky, unidentifiable fragment into a corner. Shaking himself off, he gets up and straightens himself out. Wiping off a slight amount of greasy sweat off his brow with a sleeve, he assumes a blank expression and a restless twitch in his right arm quiets down.

Immanuel Jade can now begin the long day.

Action: Immanuel Jade quietly, discreetly opens the door and steps outside, taking stock of his surroundings once more.

*Creeeak*

Someone should really open these doors. There's nothing discreet about them. Oh, right. This is a sort of prison.

Looking up and down the Hall, Jade notes there are ten cells-five on each side of the hallway. Your cell is at the very end. At the end of the hallway furthest from him, your guards-Mags, and that guy who hasn't told you his name-are playing 'watch me', ticking away the midnight hours by torchlight, slapping cards but not really speaking much. The opposite of the hallway closest to you actually leads...nowhere. There is just a small jut of broken stone steps that was once a stairway, now collapsed-leading into a pit of darkness just beyond the torchlight. Jade edges closer, noting no wind, or smells.

Certainly be a risk trying to escape that way...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2015, 01:47:07 pm »

Vic goes to sleep.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »

Wen-Li raised a white-clad finger.
"Ah, one comment. It is not my Empire. Quite the opposite, in fact, and that vile growth will only ever feel my hatred." She let that raised hand rub her masked chin.
"You tell stories well, but you're too honest.  The hero of a story must be clever and strong, and never admit his weaknesses! If he is defeated, it is through his enemies' cunning and fierceness, not his own failings. With the Water Dragon, say that you were cunning, rather than confused. A story should send it's listeners to the heights of emotion, to be memorable." She nodded towards him. "But you could certainly be a fine storyteller someday. Words, like any other art, must be practised."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »

Sal puts his hat over his eyes in the corner, and quietly drifts off to sleep.

Action: Sleep.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2015, 02:19:39 pm »

Wen-Li raised a white-clad finger.
"Ah, one comment. It is not my Empire. Quite the opposite, in fact, and that vile growth will only ever feel my hatred." She let that raised hand rub her masked chin.
"You tell stories well, but you're too honest.  The hero of a story must be clever and strong, and never admit his weaknesses! If he is defeated, it is through his enemies' cunning and fierceness, not his own failings. With the Water Dragon, say that you were cunning, rather than confused. A story should send it's listeners to the heights of emotion, to be memorable." She nodded towards him. "But you could certainly be a fine storyteller someday. Words, like any other art, must be practised."

"...we are not supposed to lie...but if it makes the story better, I suppose it can be forgiven...as long as you are like a Dragon, yes? Tell the truth, but leave holes?" He asks aptly. "Also, I am sorry for calling it 'your empire', but since we lost the war, we all belong to the Empire now...at least, by their laws, if not in our hearts." he says, perhaps already taking your advice.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2015, 02:31:18 pm »

"Never lie, no, but lead with your words, so your listener makes a conclusion - like the dragon, yes. It is no lie not to mention a few unfortunate details."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2015, 03:00:00 pm »

Immanuel Jade regards the darkness with an appreciative familiarity, then turns around and glides gently toward the would-be guards, the hallway behind him growing just a little darker as he passes through it, coming to a stop near the two guards themselves, possessed of the mildly delirious look he often had after the standard three hours of sleep he had once every three days or so. So fresh was he, in fact, that the strange pseudo-clarity in his eyes could be readily mistaken for enthusiasm.

"An uneventful shift you are having," he says as he approaches the guards, observing their game more intently than the guards themselves.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2015, 03:16:10 pm »

Mags coughs into her hand.

"Yeah, real uneventful. Why aren't you enjoying the sleep of the just?" She asks, slapping another card down.

Being a Jade, you are familiar with most games. 'Watch me' is pretty simple-players take turn flipping a row of seven cards down to get the lowest possible numerical score among a standard, 52 card deck...while avoiding the aces. If you draw an ace, you lose...but, only if the other player is willing risk calling you out on it. Depending on what's in your hand when you call 'Watch me', you could win or lose, based upon certain combinations of cards. Four aces, for example, is called a Hellhole-the only thing it defeats is if the person on the other end of the table has less aces than you. Calling someone out with two Jokers defeats almost anything, except if the other player also has two jokers-called a Harlequin Full House...and so on, and so forth. It relies a good deal on intuition, and frankly, blind luck.

You can tell by watching only for a few moments that Mags is likely the better card player. She's much faster on the trick, and seems to be pretty good at the bluff. Then again, they are both only playing at half steam, as it were.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21