Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)  (Read 21802 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2015, 02:21:49 pm »

Action: Immanuel Jade does indeed attempt to open the door and exit the premises, keeping the guards within his sight to gauge their reaction.

You've hardly gotten close to the door when you interrupt the story about how the Imperial 223rd Artillery silenced the Grand Lion of Orinost in it's final, doomed charge toward the Imperial battle lines.

"...Where you off to, Jade...?" Mags mutters, yawning. "We didn't lock your cell, since we're trying to work with you here. There's no reason to be wandering around, though. Is there?"

"I suppose we should get going. It'd be good if you kept an eye out, you three, in case you spot anything you can shoot for breakfast."

Inspect the Orinost trinket - could it be useful here
Action: Ride to Sevenforks. Look for any good game along the way.
"I'll do that."
Keep an eye out for game as we ride to Sevenforks.

Clip, clop, clip, clop...

The party of four rides on, eyes sharp, minds on their business. Hunger has a way of sharpening the senses. The storm seems to have never been-the sky, perfectly clear as ever, the grasses swaying gently. Only the fading scent of damp earth is any indication of the fury of the previous night. Close enough to civilization, the occasional shack or barn is even seen, even a windmill or two...most likely abandoned, especially this close the road. They tend to attract too much attention.

Wen-Li closely inspects her Orinost Trinket. It actually displays a lot of information for such a small thing...she reflects it probably has some sort of spirit aiding it...or many of them.

Quote from: Handyman
Time: Early Morning
Current Direction: Due Northeast
A square glass facing?: Currently Blank
Anvil Symbol with green numbers?: 9.8
A beating red sphere?: Pulsing about 50 times a minute.
Red Needle?: Ticking very slowly
Black/Red Gauge?: 10%
Weather: Sunny (Chance of High Winds)

?=Wen-Li has no idea what these mean!

The group rides on peaceably enough. The plains give way to shrubland, most gone to riot-farms and freeholds that sprung up in the wake of the end of the war, but abandoned in the recent years. They ride on through a mound of head high, sweet smelling grasses that was probably once a wheat field. Wheat being dear in these parts, but fickle to grow-another business venture failed. The Farmhouse where once a family maybe lived, stands low and desultory in the distance, now empty of all save the rats and spiders. The silence of the ride is broken by a staccato gunshot ringing out as Vic whips our her gun at a low, fast blur crashing through the brush toward them.

Her eyes betray her, however, and her aim is off-her shot only manages to wing the thing, which promptly staggers into the path, and lays down it's shaggy head to expire slowly. Frowns blossom around the party as they survey what Vic's shot has brought down...

A stray family dog,
maybe abandoned in these parts when it's owners left, or came to a bad end.

Naught but a old grey mutt, years past his time already. By the look of him, he hasn't been living well-his hair unshorn and unwashed, his ribs and backbones prominent. He still has a faded, red leather collar around his neck. He breathes slowly, calmly even-and gives no mind to his murderers, but he seems to be moving less and less even as you watch.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:24:53 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »

"There is," Immanuel Jade admits, nodding a little sharply. "I would like to see this place. It is a thing of beauty, a world asleep."

He pauses for a moment, his eyes conveying an impression of utter blindness.

"Do you fear I will take advantage of your hospitality, perhaps? Assuming ill intent is natural, but this I would say is an exceptional case."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2015, 03:02:26 pm »

"Oh, it's not like that. We couldn't leave if we wanted. You'll find, Mr. Jade, the door is quite securely locked. We're locked in here with you. And, now you're confused...this place is not exactly what you'd call normal."

The Older man shrugs.

"You wanna explore something, go jump off that fallen stair, Jade. It's not quite as fatal as you might imagine-in fact, it's a rare product of this place that the doors don't go where you think they should. It should lead you right back here, as long as the Steamers don't eat you. I'll say I tried to stop you." the man declares sarcastically.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2015, 03:14:15 pm »

"Steamers?" Immanuel Jade wonders as his gaze becomes focused and his nose twitches. "Tell me more."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2015, 03:31:29 pm »

"You weren't interested in my War Stories..." the man snorts.

Mags, seemingly enjoying always being at odds with whatever speaker she is closest to, pipes up.

"This place used to belong to the Orinost, back during the war-way back, when I was on the teat, as my old friend here likes to say when he's had a few-they were looking for something down here, and built this here mine to get down to it. And you'll understand I don't entirely mean literal digging. We're not sure if they found what they were looking for, though we know they were studying something...building something. Well, when we found it, there wasn't much left here but Steamers...and doors..

I mean to say, this whole place is lousy with doors. Doors to other places, other whens. It's a lot bigger than you've seen. There's ways out to destinations all over the West, and some beyond, and some nowhere at all. We don't know a quarter of them, and if you're caught outside during certain times you're apt to vanish forever. Which is why we're stuck here, playing cards and waiting for the percussion to go back down..."
she taps the wooden table three times, and at first you have no idea what she was doing...yet after a moment, you notice the echoes are somehow wrong. Like this place is much larger than it seems.

"...Until then, we stay put. Now, what's a Steamer? Well, you know the Orinost were masters of cog and blade-not that it helped them, after all-and they could make powerful machines with fury spirits somehow welded into them. Those steamers are still running around down here, at least, guarding the old doors and the places we haven't gotten to. Aye, it was ugly work to just clear these halls, I hear from the old guard. We'll destroy them when we find them-we've cleared out most of the Broken Stair section, but there's not much reason to go down there anyway. Just some old doors we don't have the words to open...yet."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2015, 03:54:06 pm »

"God damn it. Poor old thing."

Vic only winged it, so it may survive. Immediately try to bandage the dog's wounds and see if we can get it up and moving again.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »

Immanuel Jade cranes his head to look toward the broken staircase.

"I see. What doors can you open?" he asks with undisguised interest. "Where do they lead?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »

"Plenty. And, Places.

We've got a specific door, for example, that will lead you back across a hallway...about a second right before you left-you just see yourself leaving the door across from as you enter. That's a trip. We've got doors that will lead you straight to the Dead Palace...the one no one thought existed, with all the Jiangshi's of the Black Ice Emperors 1001 Concubines...A door that will lead you to a queer stone floating in the sky, above a land that's not on any map we know of. A door that will lead you to a barren desert of black rock, with no air-that's probably not even on this world of ours-you don't come back right quick, you're dead in a minute or so unless you're in a diving suit, but if you look in the sky you see a tiny little blue and white disc that looks like home...it's worth the risk, all right.

And, the more natural doors-to Sevenforks, to Eldaire, To Sedoa, to Kalsi...to all the big cities. And some doors that lead nowhere at all, or at least no ones ever come back from them. Then there's Dark Doors, which don't lead anywhere...but, things try to enter them from some other place. We don't open those, even if we know the words-that's how you open them, speak the right words. Some of the doors have riddles...others ask straight questions...some are blank. Some are in languages we can't even read. It's a hell of a place, and I tell the story good, don't I?"
She says, with a sweet smile.

"God damn it. Poor old thing."

Vic only winged it, so it may survive. Immediately try to bandage the dog's wounds and see if we can get it up and moving again.

Vic quickly realizes she'll need more than a strip of cloth-if the dog is to survive, the bullet will have to removed, and the wound closed and disinfected. Otherwise...it's best to put the old thing out of it's misery.

Vic notices Hiraya has some medical supplies on her on that could help.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2015, 04:53:22 pm »

"I... I did not mean for us to have some poor old hound for lunch, Miss. I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount of aid, but is there a way I can help?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:26 pm »

Being that Tir has spotty internet at the best of times, Hiraya will help Vic patch the dog up.

"I don't know some help would be appreciated."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:04:06 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2015, 05:35:30 pm »

Sal shakes his head, pulling out his revolver, and pulls back the hammer. He isn't aiming it at the dog, but there seems to be a "yet" riding on that.

"Ma'am, you gonna finish him off? Leavin' an old dog out here to die is practically sin, and I doubt he'll live even if you try to help. He'll starve out on his own, and I wouldn't bother taking him. He's too old to be of any use."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2015, 05:54:20 pm »

"Call me soft hearted if you want. I'm going to try."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2015, 03:00:55 am »

"Hm," Immanuel Jade continues to nod, steepling his fingers. "I must see. Excuse me."

Action: Immanuel Jade examines the locked door carefully, scanning for unusual patterns that he can discern. How is this door not like any other?

And once headway or at least an examination is made, how is the broken stairwell like this locked door, and unlike a broken stairwell? Immanuel Jade thinks on this a while.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »

((One week absence due to anxiety. Sorry!))

Being that Tir has spotty internet at the best of times, Hiraya will help Vic patch the dog up.
Hiraya agrees with the helpful voice in her head \o/

Think: What is the current situation she is in right now? [And how can she not inconvenience the GM so much? .-.]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2015, 05:21:23 am »

Spoiler: OOC! (click to show/hide)
[/me]

Doublepost!

"Strange seeing such a creature here. Suppose it knows the place or something? I'll take care of it from here." It needs a friend. He, I think?

Do the bandaging and the taking care of, and also wonder what it may have been doing in such a location--as with other clues (like that collar and its age, and its breed or commonality to the area)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21