Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma forge & smelter  (Read 2616 times)

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma forge & smelter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

With well forested maps you do not really have to worry about running out of wood until you have some sort of monster fortress that churns out a massive need for wood. Although, I will say that you should probrably search for coal since it is actually a much more efficient use of your time and you can use it to make steel. Magma forges are by far the best use of your time in this game when it comes to making all things metal. I tend to have 2 smelters and 2 forges to start with and then when the game decides to give me more metalsmiths(it will always do), I double that.

Sylar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

um
how do you dig out a tile which is adjacent to lava without it flowing into your fortress?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sylar:
<STRONG>um
how do you dig out a tile which is adjacent to lava without it flowing into your fortress?</STRONG>

This wasn't a problem in the old version, and that's the one they're discussing.

This is not a signature.

Tracker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

Lava won't flow "up" so I recommend building your magma channel on the lowest Z-Level. Build a long 2-wide tunnnel (not channel...build it as a tunnel) and wait until it is mined out completely before digging the last piece of it. Then, dig the last piece of it, and as soon as the dwarf is done chipping it away, build 2 rewall sections near the stairs-end of the tunnel to block it off completely. Then, on the Z-Level above your magma-filled tunnel, dig the chamber you want to use for magma smelting and forging, digging single channel spaces into the floor where you want to have your forge and smelter. The bottom magma-tunnel will be full of magma, but unpassable by magma creatures, and your smelter is safely one level above it.
here''s men underground/who have never seen the sun/but they really know how to party/they raise their wooden pints/and they yoik and sing/and they fight and they dance ''till morning
Pages: 1 [2]