Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: The Last Survivors  (Read 14564 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Survivors
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2015, 08:24:34 pm »

OK, my malware protection software refuses to let me download from this "wikishare" website. No, really - even after I turned it off, the download was blocked and I got an error message saying that my antivirus was off, please check to see what the problem is.

I've never had this problem with DFFD, and I'm no longer so confident in my antivirus software.

If it isn't too much trouble, could someone transfer the save to DFFD? Or just skip me, I suppose.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2015, 05:25:48 am »

Th4DwArfY1 finished his turn and posted his save, but not the write-up, and that's at DFFD. Use that one.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »

Is using DFHack's "cleanowned scattered x" considered cheating? It automatically designates all owned items scattered on the floor and/or of "x" wear or more to be dumped.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2015, 05:26:23 pm »

Private thoughts of 'Qu', weaver
==========================

loom... loom... loom...

"I came to Gatewealthy two years ago. I had hoped to resurrect the craft of my ancestors."

"To weave the threads of cave spider silk into the finest cloth."

"But there is no loom here. There are no doors to the caverns here. My hopes were for naught."

"But it does not bother me."

loom... loom... loom...

"I have been drafted into the militia here in gatewealthy."

"I am made to wear heavy iron armour and carry a weapon."

loom... loom... loom...

"The largest room in gatewealthy is enormous. A square of stone 5 stories high, with sloped claystone walls. Smoothed and engraved, it would make a magnificent dining room."

"It is filled with pond turtle shells and dead animals. The smell will forever haunt it's stone. We dine on narrow balconies around a pit."

loom... loom... loom...

"The outdoor courtyard is lopsided and broken. It's shape makes me think of a dead rat."

loom... loom... loom...

"The dwarves of legend are dead. This fortress is not a place of glory."

"Few have yet died, and yet the empty, waiting tombs are the largest part of the fortress."

"It is obvious. Gatewealthy is where the last of the dwarven race has come to die."

"And yet, it still does not bother me."

loom... loom... loom...

"We have no booze."

loom... loom... loom...

"We have."

"No booze."

loom... loom... loom...

"Weeeeeeee... havenobooze."

loom... loom... looooooooo- TWANG

"I am now slightly bothered."

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2015, 07:09:51 pm »

Private thoughts of 'Qu', weaver
==========================

loom... loom... loom...

"I came to Gatewealthy two years ago. I had hoped to resurrect the craft of my ancestors."

"To weave the threads of cave spider silk into the finest cloth."

"But there is no loom here. There are no doors to the caverns here. My hopes were for naught."

loom... loom... loom...

"I have been drafted into the militia here in gatewealthy."

"I am made to wear heavy iron armour and carry a weapon."

loom... loom... loom...

"The largest room in gatewealthy is enormous. A square of stone 5 stories high, with sloped claystone walls. Smoothed and engraved, it would make a magnificent dining room."

"It is filled with pond turtle shells and dead animals. The smell will forever haunt it's stone. We dine on narrow balconies around a pit."

loom... loom... loom...

"The outdoor courtyard is lopsided and broken. It's shape makes me think of a dead rat."

loom... loom... loom...

"The dwarves of legend are dead. This fortress is not a place of glory."

"Few have yet died, and yet the empty, waiting tombs are the largest part of the fortress."

"It is obvious. Gatewealthy is where the last of the dwarven race has come to die."

"And yet, it still does not bother me."

loom... loom... loom...

"We have no booze."

loom... loom... loom...

"We have."

"No booze."

loom... loom... loom...

"Weeeeeeee... havenobooze."

loom... loom... looooooooo- TWANG

"I am now slightly bothered."

It might please you to know that I have expanded the textile industry.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2015, 08:00:46 am »

Worn stuff on the floor is fine.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2015, 08:54:09 am »

PTR - Posting To Read. One needs to expand and capture the narration of others and immerse in joining their glory and suffering alike.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2015, 09:00:59 am »

PT loom... loom... loom...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2015, 11:44:41 pm »

I stop playing this at the beginning of winter, right?

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2015, 08:49:00 am »

Right.

Fox_Helios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2015, 12:30:58 pm »

So when Th4DwArfY1 doesn't do a write up is it on PyroTechno to mention what happened previously or what they came into?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »

So when Th4DwArfY1 doesn't do a write up is it on PyroTechno to mention what happened previously or what they came into?

I think it's a bit late, since I'm already in mid-autumn.

By the way, Th4DwArfY1, your dwarf has been inexplicably nauseated ever since the goblin siege.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2015, 04:29:19 pm »

Inodlimar, "Gatewealthy", Spring-Autumn of 130

3rd Granite, 130

So, here I am, newest Overseer of Gatewealthy. I'm not sure what I'm worried about - the fortress has lasted this long, after all. What's the worst thing that could happen?

The biggest concern is the fact that we seem to have run out of alcohol.

(To those of you who expressed concern about the militia commander becoming the Overseer - "military dictatorship", "evil usurper", blah blah, etc. etc., I would like to point out that the Overseer is a very military role - they are in direct control of assignment and training schedules, after all.

It was entirely unnecessary to hold the office of Overseer in limbo for an entire season. I am frankly disgusted by this breach of etiquette and tradition.)

5th Granite, 130

It has become clearly evident to me that it will be my task to clean this place up.

The first thing we need to do is stop all of this refuse production.

1. To be entirely honest, we don't need fisherdwarves - there is a variety of food production in other sectors, such as farming. All fishing has been cancelled for the foreseeable future. Fish preparation continues, until our supply of raw fish is eventually exhausted.
2. Stop with mining, for now. We already have so many resources that we don't know what to do with them - I mean, really, there is just SO MUCH STUFF.

I know we're dwarves, but this is ridiculous!

6th Granite, 130

Proceeding forward with our trash cleanup operation will require one of the many marvels of dwarven engineering:

The Atom Smasher.

8th Granite, 130

Gwolfski the Miner withdraws from society. He quickly claims a Mason's Workshop.

12th Granite, 130

Gwolfski begins his mysterious construction.

13th Granite, 130

The Atom Smasher is completed and waiting for its first use.

Also pictured is one of the two ridiculously large refuse stockpiles present in this fortress - a nice thought, but a landfill is, in my opinion, not good enough.

To start, all body parts and corpses shall be dumped. We would never have used all of those turtle shells, anyway.

17th Granite, 130

... Great job, Gwolfski, we're all very proud.

*nevermind, everyone, stop the party plans, it's just a grate*

Yes, we're all very happy for you, G. Keep up the good work.

19th Granite, 130

Yes, I understand exactly what it is I'm asking you to haul. Stop whining about it.

Just get all of those corpses out of my sight.

Yes, the goblins too. Especially them.

... Uzol forgive us.

24th Granite, 130

A cloud of miasma bellows forth from the Atom Smasher.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Pull the lever!"

CRUNCH. 90% of the fortress's refuse vanishes into the aether.

26th Granite, 130

A new textile industry is under construction now. That one dwarf running around saying "loom" concerned me.

4th Slate, 130

...Who set rock crafts to be made on repeat?

Ridiculous, I tell you... More clutter that this fortress doesn't need. Dump them!

5th Slate, 130

So. I just found the original garbage dump.

Yeah... my bad.

6th Slate, 130

Aren't you a nice little battle axe? Yes, you are! Yes, you are!

What are you all staring at? Don't you have anything to do?

14th Slate, 130

Of course, cleaning does not just involve disposal - it also involves storage. Wooden bins will not solve every problem here - in fact, they come with problems of their own - but they will cut down on the overall clutter.

22nd Felsite, 130

The former refuse stockpile at the bottom of a massive pit has been turned into a stone stockpile. That is still at the bottom of a massive pit.

Seriously, who built this and why?

28th Felsite, 130

I have decided to expand the food preparation area, mostly because I can't find a kitchen anywhere.

I know we have one. I just still don't know where it is - and I was one of the first seven, Uzol damn it, I should know these things!

9th Hematite, 130

Terrapin has been taken by a fey mood! He claims a Carpenter's Workshop and gets to work.

12th Hematite, 130

The human caravan arrives.

15th Hematite, 130

A human diplomat arrives - Gorbe Shudgaval, the law-giver.

17th Hematite, 130

Um...

[url]http://i.imgur.com/mA7XF1R.jpg]http://i.imgur.com/u9Uz7Eo.jpg[/img]

Um...

[url]http://i.imgur.com/mA7XF1R.jpg

I'm glad you think so. Alright, you can handle this, right Brassroast?

Death will eventually come for all that oppose the goblins. Thanks for distracting them, humans...

Brassroast, what are you doing? You're just going to make him leave after he explained exactly how his civilization is falling apart right now?

>:/

20th Hematite, 130

Terrapin has successfully resolved his fey mood.

An artifact wooden table decorated with flux, bone, and wool, bearing the image of a book.

This shall be vaguely useful if I decide to build a bigger dining hall later.

23rd Hematite, 130

That didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.

To the humans we trade a staggeringly large supply of wood - barely a dent in our stockpile. Who clear-cut the surface like that? Multiple times? I really need to get out of the barracks more... - as well as some random trade goods - instruments, stone crafts, etc. - some prepared meals, and barrel after barrel of smelly fish. Seriously, we did not need all of that. We also traded leather and uncut gems, useless anvils, and a dash of alcohol to seal the deal.

In return, we recieved some food, some cloth, and some seeds.

The humans no doubt believe that they made off like bandits.

INSERT LS18 AND 19 HERE

Ha! Suckers.

Meanwhile, in the depths of the fortress, cleaning continues.

27th Hematite, 130

The stone stockpile continues to be filled. However, I begin to ponder the use of the many stone blocks present in this fortress. I wonder...

2nd Malachite, 130

I have decided.

To truly make my mark on this fortress, I must add to its construction. So, I will build a tower.

12th Malachite, 130

The humans pack up and leave. Their tale was one of great death and destruction. One wonders where they have left to go.

19th Malachite, 130

The tower has been discontinued for now. I have another project in mind.

This fortress does not have a proper dining hall. This should be rectified.

12th Galena, 130

A new stockpile apparently must be made for all of the discarded armor around the fortress.

26th Galena, 130

I found a militia captain having some form of mental breakdown in one of the food stockpiles. He picked up and immediately put down a set of iron bolts, before picking them up and putting them down again, seemingly fascinated by the action.

I asked him how he was feeling.

Having had enough of this nonsense, I told him to just drop the bolts and leave them there.

Ridiculous.

1st Limestone, 130

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Were those forgotten beasts always there? Ah, no matter, no matter.

The military sorties out to deal with these invaders.

Let me be clear: by this I mean the REST of the military. I have very important business myself.

Above: Me, on my very important business.

3rd Limestone, 130

That was easy.

4th Limestone, 130

I suppose I taunted fate with my premature remark.

One goblin still lives. This bowgoblin possesses more skill than the rest of his squad put together did...

The others were slaughtered handily and without incident. This one, however, is responsible for thirteen separate injuries.

The newly smoothed room that I had intended to be a dining hall shall now become our new hospital. Necessity demands this.

A complete soap industry must also be built inside the hospital, for purposes of convenience.

16th Limestone, 130

The caravan arrives, but we do not have time for them, and the fortress is self-sufficient anyway.

17th Limestone, 130

Wood haulers on the surface are attacked by a grizzly bear. It is knocked unconscious almost immediately and eventually punched in the head to death by a cook.

18th Limestone, 130

The mayor declines to make a trade agreement this year.

21st Limestone, 130

Upon finding out that we are out of material at the base of our soap industry, a single barrel of prepared food is traded for several bags of rock nuts.

5th Sandstone, 130

We are still not producing soap. I can't figure out what the hold-up is. Perhaps the items in intermediate stages are being cooked? Well, the cooks have been ordered to leave them alone.

I bet it was you. Is that your excuse? You think soapmaking is wasteful?

What's your excuse for losing all of last year's records, huh? Did one of the forgotten beasts in the caverns eat them? Or was it your DOG?

I don't know if you noticed, but no one has a dog! The war dogs are locked in a cage in some corner somewhere, and the rest all mysteriously vanished at some point!

(Where and why are we keeping random wild birds?)

10th Sandstone, 130

After officially removing the soapmaking area from the hospital zone, it begins to work correctly.

11th Sandstone, 130

Two soapmakers labor simultaneously to produce the fortress's first soap.

12th Sandstone, 130

The first bar of rock nut soap is produced. It is almost immediately stored by hospital staff.

22nd Sandstone, 130

The hospital is now almost fully stocked. It only needs powder for casts, something that we should have traded for when the caravan was here, but didn't. My bad, I suppose.

Sheriff LoudWhispers is apparently so happy that he has access to proper medical care that he throws a party in the (still tiny) dining hall.

The current dining hall shall be expanded, as opposed to building a new one elsewhere.

7th Timber, 130

Many dwarves have left weapons strewn about in the halls of our fortress. I know we have a hospital now, but that's no reason to leave such dangerous objects just sitting around where someone could step on them.

A new weapons stockpile shall be constructed.

1st Moonstone, 130

Winter is upon us, and as is tradition, the mantle passes to another Overseer.

I did not take stock of things at the beginning of my term. I foolishly assumed that it had already been done - did I mention that my predecessor lost an entire year of records?

Here are things as they are now.

Thus, I resign, and return to my role as militia commander.

-----

A/N: 15-30 FPS really sucks, especially when you're used to at least 100. I have absolutely no idea how to do anything with the graphics, so the graphics in the save below are still a weird zombie mix of (if I'm not mistaken) Phoebus and base ASCII.

I noticed this site has fire clay around 2nd Malachite. A future overseer could easily do something epic with that - fire clay and fuel is all that is needed for a complete clay industry, and we do have a staircase all the way down to the magma sea.

I did manage to clean up quite a bit, but it had no noticeable impact on FPS.

The save is here.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2015, 04:38:58 pm »

I will go, I just need to find some where to upload it after I finish, any suggestions?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2015, 05:21:10 pm »

I will go, I just need to find some where to upload it after I finish, any suggestions?

The Dwarf Fortress File Depot is the best place for it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11