Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More Creature Variations  (Read 4450 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: More Creature Variations
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 08:40:24 am »

There are deer with tusks, namely the tufted deer. Smilodons however have large eye teeth. Which, you can have the game say ""the animal attacks with its large eye teeth" by adding the "attack_with" (I think thats the one) flag to the attack itself. You can add that flag to any attack on any creature and it will give you that sort of report in the combat log.

Check out the gorlak raws to see how they set up tusks.

You could also set up a new body part called "saber teeth" by going to the body section of the raws, copy and pasting the eye teeth (or tusks) section and renaming/fiddling with it.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:42 am »

What happened is that you added a bodypart to the creature, added a material for it and a tissue, but then never applied the tissue to the bodypart.  Because the design philosophy of DF is why do things in one step when you can do them in four? :)

Add [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TUSK:IVORY] at the end of the creature variation and it should work.  You may also want to add a tusk attack, because tusks won't participate in bite attacks.

Edit: To do real saberteeth, copy the GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_FANGS body plan to your own SABERTOOTH plan and fiddle with the names and relative sizes until you're happy with the result.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:51:02 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 10:21:26 am »

What happened is that you added a bodypart to the creature, added a material for it and a tissue, but then never applied the tissue to the bodypart.  Because the design philosophy of DF is why do things in one step when you can do them in four? :)

Add [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TUSK:IVORY] at the end of the creature variation and it should work.  You may also want to add a tusk attack, because tusks won't participate in bite attacks.

Edit: To do real saberteeth, copy the GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_FANGS body plan to your own SABERTOOTH plan and fiddle with the names and relative sizes until you're happy with the result.

Awesome.  Seems to work, here's the code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The test creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, the sabertooth kangaroo was still dispatched effortlessly by an unarmed unskilled dwarf in arena.  If the goal is to make sabertoothed animals dangerous, we're going to need more than just size and saberteeth.  Although I could save that for a different creature variation. 

Thoughts? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 12:18:39 pm »

Natural combat/bite skills, higher speed, larger bodysize, larger attack area in the bite attacks, stronger body materials (skin more dense, bones unbreakable, no pain receptors), add ability to get martial stances, add interaction that gives combat boost (physical attr) when injured/covered in blood, or raise physical attributes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 01:41:38 am »

At that point you're making it more an across-the-board "badass" variant as a "sabertoothed" variant (which is by its nature quite badass)

This mod seems like an awesome project, but I'd think its going to be hell to come up with good variant types. I'm assuming at this point the sabertooth and dire variants will end up being combined to form some extra-badass but not giant variant.

Also, one thing that can make creatures' attacks stronger to a degree without changing too much else is upping the thickness of muscle tissues in relation to others. Not sure if that's even possible through the creature variation framework, though. If it isn't you'd have to write in the changes through the individual creature's definition.

If you're willing to go through that extra work, I might suggest a "supernatural" variant, which gives the creature the supernatural tag (removing the natural and mundane tags), and giving the creature one or more sphere tokens (say, giving supernatural cows the agriculture sphere). Toady intends, at some point in the distant future, for biomes relating to spheres to replace good and evil biomes, and this definition may or may notnfit right in whenever that update comes.

Also, the spheres a creature has govern what interactions it innately knows, if those secrets come with the supernatural_learning_possible token. In a world with more than just death secrets, there could be many magical deer. Or dingoes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]