Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zulashnicat: The Painful Chains, Dwarven Prison run by the Community  (Read 2274 times)

Bendigeidfran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the new post for Dwarven Alcatraz, my attempt at the Dwarf Prison challenge, with you fine folks as the managing board of directors. Which means you get to decide what stupid stuff we have the Fortress do.
We're moving this to Bay12 from Reddit as the Forums are a better place for this sort of Format so it'd be great to have all you fine forum goers join in too.

Look at the **Update** Section for the most recent news/statistics on the fort.

The challenge can be found on the wiki here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Challenges#Dwarven_Prison

A summary of what we're attempting:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faced with rising criminal rates the king has decided to go for a zero-tolerance policy. He sent out seven dwarves to build and manage a prison to hold the worst of the worst criminals of dwarvenkind.
What this means is only the initial seven Dwarves may do work, excluding things like prison labour, such as hauling items inside the prisoners area, making basic stone crafts and the like.

The twist on this challenge is that I will be playing the game by committee, you guys get to choose what direction the prison takes. Some suggestions have been made in the earlier thread and will be listed below. If you want your name in the fort post it below specifying if you want to be a prisoner, a staff member, or a Warden. If you choose to be a Warden you'll be added to the list and i'll message you when it's your go and you can inform me of any policies or projects you want me to focus on for your term as Warden.

Each year in-game a new Warden will be chosen. The Wardens are chosen from a sequential list and have almost absolute power over the prison. You need only let me know what you wish to have your Warden dictate, even to the point of overriding other suggestions and/or the rules. (Within reason, don't ruin it for others)

Each season I will post images in the imgur album and create a journal video from the perspective of the warden summarizing the goings-on of that season.

**Imgur Album:** http://imgur.com/a/rELnm

**Journal Playlist:** https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwHDG_1P2CdF8KlZ1dk0PSdOvxL9aIYZa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Following is the list of Community suggestions currently in play, just post a reply to get yours added:

*Prison Policy:*
-------------------------

**Anton2181:** "Children should be locked in a small cell without food until only one lives. Then he will join the adults."

**Derobos:** "Add some of them to a military squad called "The suicide squad", who shall do nothing but train all day long. That way, when the hippie elves or the filthy gobs attack, you can just send them out there to fight them, that way, you could also end up freeing up some space, and wasting less of the kingdom's precious food!"

**TheRoyalOtt3r:** "Make the prisoners work in deep, dark mines. Don't let them drink too much. Food is for those who deserve it (they are in Alcatraz, they DON'T) Beds are overrated. So is sleep. The surviving inmates will burn their brothers in the magma. Rinse and repeat."

**Supernamekianpenis:** "Force prisoners to make stone arts and crafts, and sell the poor quality ones to the elves. Or cut down trees in a yard, sell it back to the hippies."

**TheRedScareDS:** "Stone mugs must be produced and sacrificed in the volcano to please Armok".

*Prison Features:*

**TMarkos:** "Your magma tube looks vaguely like Texas. You should undertake a project to make it look exactly like Texas."

**Snover_98:** "Make a fighting pit. A tourney against various beasts and enemies shall be held once a year."

**Anton2181:** "Centre their cells around a communal location and free them once every now and then to fight over a small pile of food". Derobos: "Add workshops to their cells so they can produce stuff while they're wasting away the kingdom's precious food and water. You could add something like an airlock, that way, your prison keepers can give them the materials and take out the output without them escaping."

**BlueChilli:** Solitary Confinement using Web spitters to trap a Dwarf assigned to a lever.

**Kiyanavasala:** "Make a tower out of cells, all with beautiful views of a world the prisoners within will never again enjoy."

**Cullpepper:** "Chicken farm. 50+ chickens in individuals rooms with doors. Each chicken chamber needs a water bucket."

**dm2oo56:** "Escaping Dwarven Bookkeeper, Broker + Stone Crafter" + "Recreate prison from Shawshank"

**XXXXYYYYY:** "Pacifier" System in each cell to neutralise uppity inmates allowing the cell to be re-used.

**Aj_The_Wanderer:** "Soap slip-n-slide above the volcanoe. Prisoners try to slip/slide to escape."

**nomequeeulembro:** "Make the prison in different levels, the deeper the level the harder the tortures".

**Barskie:** "Doomsday levers that send a segment of the prison crashing into the volcano.

*Names:*

*Staff:*

Prison Peacekeeper: Supernamekian

Prison Engineer: XXXXYYYY

Prison Engineer: Blue Chilli

Mason/Quartermaster: Urist "Darth" McVader

*Prisoners:*

Torvud Cornhammer

Kiyana Vasala

Da Durdle Dude

Sinakus

*Escapee:* Dmium (Awaiting Appropriate prisoner)

Vitellus

Bearskie - Insane Lava-drinker

Urist McLoveSyrup - Elf-loving Hippie traitor (Dead by Magma)

*Warden Lineup:*

**Year 1:** Z'vut "Dread" Ironladles

**Year 2:** The Royal Ott3r

**Update**

Current Prisoner count: 7
Dead Prisoners: 1
Insane Prisoners: 0
Useless Children: 8 ಠ_ಠ
Times Peacekeeper owned by Honey Badger: 2
Current Game Date: 1st Granite 78th Year (Spring)
**End Update**

The Reddit Threads:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/3fc9w6/dwarven_alcatraz_run_by_the_people_of_the_internet/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/3foi5u/zulashnicat_the_painful_chains_dwarven_prison_run/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:01:42 pm by Bendigeidfran »
The Theory behind Magma, is moste Robuste.

Bendigeidfran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zulashnicat: The Painful Chains, Dwarven Prison run by the Community
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:20:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Camade Etha, The Realm of Prophecies and soon home to the most brutal Dwarven prison of all time.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »

Can I have a guard?

Name: Officer Brassroast

Also, I suggest we have the guards make allies with a few of the prisoners, and delegate some tasks to them in return for special privileges and power.

Kiyanavasala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »

Ready to get launched into the monster-filled caverns at the first sign of danger and/or insubordination!

Bendigeidfran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:18:34 pm »

Can I have a guard?

Name: Officer Brassroast

Also, I suggest we have the guards make allies with a few of the prisoners, and delegate some tasks to them in return for special privileges and power.

You absolutely can, although your Guard will have to pull double duty as a miner, we only have 7 Dwarves for now. I'll hold a Strawpoll in a bit to see if people want me to draft in some more Dorfs

Bendigeidfran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:22:46 pm »

Strawpoll: http://strawpoll.me/5119021 Should I increase the size of my workforce or keep the initial seven Dwarves?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 02:42:40 pm »

Requesting a Dorf.

I WANNA BE A GARD

Will the prison have a mental health section?
If so i want a babbling loon of a dorf.

Kiyanavasala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »

Strawpoll: http://strawpoll.me/5119021 Should I increase the size of my workforce or keep the initial seven Dwarves?

Dead Man's Boots--keep at seven, and the only way to become staff is for a staff member to die.

Over time the inmates literally will run the asylum, and then eventually entire generations will grow up in the fortress, children forever ruined by their forefathers' collective crimes, never knowing anything but the fact that they--by proxy--deserve this place.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 03:19:53 pm »

You should have the first and last migrant be "guards", or just the first if the wave is less than ten dwarves.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

Camade Etha, The Realm of Prophecies and soon home to the most brutal Dwarven prison of all time.

Oh i wouldn't call it brutal.  Its probably more likely to transpire into a chaotic puddle of mess ruled by the collaborative hivemind of Reddit and the Bay12forums.

Also, all excess chickens from the chicken farm will be thrown into the SOLITARY CONFINEMENT ROOM.  Let the prisoner suffer by death of a thousand beaks and clucks.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:35:47 pm by Bearskie »

Bendigeidfran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:28:20 pm »

Oh i wouldn't call it brutal.  Its probably more likely to transpire into a chaotic puddle of mess ruled by the collaborative hivemind of Reddit and the Bay12forums.

Also, all excess chickens from the chicken farm will be thrown into the SOLITARY CONFINEMENT ROOM.  Let the prisoner suffer by death of a thousand beaks and clucks.

Ok then, the most chaotic prison ever to be devised by the people of Bay12/Reddit.
Also good idea, i'll do that. Setting up the battery farm right now actually.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:17:38 pm »

Hoohoohoo.
Ptwing here, so I can see both.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Kiyanavasala

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 06:27:16 pm »

Oh i wouldn't call it brutal.

Give it time.
Also fire.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:36:12 pm »

A fortress designed and run by committee. A committee of Redditors, no less. What a terrible prospect.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:21:59 pm »

A fortress designed and run by committee. A committee of Redditors, no less. What a terrible prospect.
I think you misspelled "glorious".
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: [1] 2