Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What are your opinions on elven traders  (Read 5205 times)

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your opinions on elven traders
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 11:27:00 am »

*votes for isolated plugging-prone depots with shower system*

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Yeah, elves have been bringing me lots of wood lately, and on this map I need it.  I give them the goblin silk clothes left over from sieges.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

I think the rational for elves selling wooden items is that they use magic to make wooden stuff without hurting the trees, whereas the dwarves use good old brute force.

As for me, I trade with them. Can never have enough stuff on hand for brewing and making bags, personally. And wood for making Charcoal, since I've never actually had a map with magma. *shrug*

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

I like wood weapons for training.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

I like elven traders for their exotic vegetables. I like having a wide variety of booze in my fort, and elves help me achieve this.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

Since I don't have very many bins due to a lack of logs I like using the elves as a way of getting my goods to the depot in preparation for the humans. Also they do help with getting a little more food.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

One of my little game customizations includes a plant thread that can act like flux for making weaker steel.  The elves bring plenty of it which is usually reason enough for trading with them.

But unmodded?  Uh...I can't think of anything they would have thats worth lowering the drawbridge for...maybe if they bring some tame large vicious animals for my  teeth-on-a-rope deployable failed mood defense system. (TRDFMDS)

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mr_Quack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

I love when they bring different animals like bears and cougars so I always trade for those. I also sell all my rock crafts for any food or drink they sell me, along with the occasional pieces of cloth.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

I haven't got any logs from them in my fort, but maybe they don't bring it since I'm on a forested map and wouldn't buy it anyway. I like their animals, cloth and berries, though. I even liked the cloth in the old 2D version when silk was relatively easy to get.

So to summarize, I treat my elves well. Well, until lately, when one got caught in my weapon traps. I'll have to pay them back for that next year...

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

Well, it took 10 years of DF time, but elves finally started bringing things aside from rope reed cloth.

Now I get oversized wooden armor and useless wooden weapons.  I have enough champions and steel anything now that it doesn't matter so much to train with cheap weapons.

The coolest things they brought last time were two caged bonobo monkeys and a cougar, all of which were tame.

I haven't opened the cage doors yet to see what the critters will do.

And oh yes, after carefully trading for those items (as pets, the monkeys were going for $1000, I forget what the cougar was going for), I accidently tried to trade back to them a $10 pine bracelet, and they were offended.  They traded it to me earlier!  bah!  Into the sarlaac pit they all went.

igless

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Hi!

Is the selling of wood a new thing? I don't remember it from before, or at least not as excessive as I found it lately.

They brought quite some wood the first time, lesser later. Too bad I accidentally offended them. I could really need some wood right now as I have turn nearly all trees on the map into menacing spikes and barrels and now have to wait for the saplings to grow (^_^;;

Oh well, it is not that I am starving or in serious trouble - I hope (^_^;;

Deathworks

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

DOH!

My Steel Piccalo that I got when the dwarven caravan lost it's goods in the riots of '53 was decorated with bone. I thought all my steel instruments were good. Now I will have to wait for another caravan to get the wood I desperately need to turn into charcoal so I can make my Dungeon Master a Legendary Armor Maker.

Stupid Elves. I wish there was a filter you could apply to filter out Animal-product used and bloody stuff. They are lucky my army was all standing down or I'd have just seized the wood. I think it's time to restructure the trade depot to handle those ear-pickers.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

It's worth noting that unless you are in a good biome, the only place to get Sun Berries -- which are the source of Sunshine, the best booze there is by a good margin -- is the elves.  Of course, once you get sun berry seeds and build an open-air farm plot, then you don't need the elves' berries anymore...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>
I got these torn jeans. Torn jeans are really hip, you know.
So, whaddaya say, I give you these really fashionable jeans and you give me that plain gold necklace.</STRONG>

They had an experiment about that on Brainiac, they took a name-brand pair of jeans and an offbrand pair of jeans that had been ruthlessly destroyed via dragging through a rocky street, and asked people on the street which looked more expensive.  Nearly everyone said the offbrand pair.

Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>

They had an experiment about that on Brainiac, they took a name-brand pair of jeans and an offbrand pair of jeans that had been ruthlessly destroyed via dragging through a rocky street, and asked people on the street which looked more expensive.  Nearly everyone said the offbrand pair.</STRONG>

That is hilarious!

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4