Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What are your opinions on elven traders  (Read 5206 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: What are your opinions on elven traders
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

Hi!

The elven traders surprised me this year. They only had three items they brought for trade:

1 cedar(!) barrel of Swamp Whiskey
1 pine(!) barrel of Swamp Whiskey
1 decorated maple scepter!!!!

Intrigued, I had a closer look at that last one (should be tripple lines and double '>' but I don't know how to make them):

quote:

(<Maple>)

This   is   a   well-crafted   Maple   scepter.   It   is   decorated   with
exceptionally worked Pine.
On the item is a finely-designed  image of elves in Rope reed. The elves are
traveling.

Ooookay. I may not even consider selling them a wooden toothpick, and they show up with a maple scepter decorated with pine ......

It is kind of fitting that one of the next engravings with elves, showed elves and dwarves talking with each other and had a name with something about "framing" ...... (^_^;;

Deathworks

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

I've started ignoring them lately, it's not worth getting your haulers tied up dragging a dozen mugs out to exchange for a ton of worthless cloth and a handful of berries.

I hope next version they (and really, traders in general) actually carry something worth getting.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

I usually buy everything from all caravans. I have two legendary stone crafters, so it's pretty easy to make a bunch of masterpiece crafts and sell them.

Is there any kind of downside in giving lots of good crafts as gifts to caravans? Usually when a noble mandates the construction of [rock type] items, I just queue like 20 rock crafts, mugs, instruments or toys, so I have a huge pile of stuff ready. Also keeps the dwarves busy!

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sub-Actuality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

My opinion of elven traders:  After they've drowned in the Submersible Trade Depot(tm), their loot floats nicely and is easily gathered.
nib Kadolmonom, Philosopher, cancels Introspection: misplaced id.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

I think if you gift alot to the dwarves you get more immigrants and they bring more mules (which means more stuff!) next time. Humans (and maybe elves?) will attack you if they lose too much profit, so gifting can help stop that if they keep getting wiped out by goblins (or flooding the world with lava) assuming, of course, they can get away with the gifts. not really a downside unless you don't want immigrants and you do want human sieges.

I guess it's a downside that you are giving away a technically limited resource, but I can't imagine ever using all the stone you get from making rooms (without training lots of catapults) and you would have to try really hard to use all the stone on the map withing chasming it.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

I take all of their stuff for a couple rock crafts, then add a kitten skull totem as a parting gift every time.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

quote:
I take all of their stuff for a couple rock crafts, then add a kitten skull totem as a parting gift every time.  

Excellent.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

I just trade with the druids. They are an easy way to pawn off all the goblin crap I get from the damn thieves. Here, have a copper dagger, oh, thank you for your elven crap. This'll save me from a few insanities via mood.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sub-Actuality:
<STRONG>My opinion of elven traders:  After they've drowned in the Submersible Trade Depot(tm), their loot floats nicely and is easily gathered.</STRONG>

Can you tell me how to make that "Submersible Trade Depot(TM)"?

Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 09:55:00 am »

I buy booze and brewable berries from them, and some rope reed cloth if I don't have any yet (so, once), but that's it. Otherwise, I ignore them entirely. Half the time they show up the goblins seem to arrive shortly thereafter anyhow.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

I buy their hemp and berries for a few years. Then I cut down all the trees, hang a big picture of Ronald Reagan over the door, and attempt to sell meat to them. Regressive Party, representin'.

Edit: people, I'm tellin' ya, don't post after two hours of poli-tickin'. It will make you post in dead threads. Flogging myself... now.

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »

Err, hemp?
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Thread necromancy much?

I'm on a treeless map, so I trade them for their wood.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

They sell wood? I usually didn't even bother trading with them because I thought they didn't. Now I gotta go through all my junk and find the non-bloodstained stuff so I can get some trade with elves going on.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

The elves have been bringing me a surprising amount of wood in my current fort, which is good because I'm in a scorched wasteland without a single green thing growing outside.  I usually buy a bunch of cloth to train up my clothier and then use the bins.  In my last fort my high-skill clothier combined with my legendary weaver let me buy GCS silk thread from the dwarves and then buy out whole caravans with the resultant double-masterwork silk crafts.
Despite the thread necro, I think the discussion is still valid because the elves don't seem to have changed much.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4