Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lifetime supporter  (Read 2751 times)

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lifetime supporter
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:58:00 pm »

I'm pretty excited atm (doesn't take much), have been lurking and periodically powergaming DF for god knows how long. In any case, I was watching some game interview with Brenda, a former sirtech game dev and started to look through the interviewer's other materials and found he gets support via Patreon.

This was the second time I had seen this idea and I thought, cool, he's getting $300/video he does. Being the typical Asian torrenter, I moved on.

But then it hit me, what if DF had patreon!! ...searching... and it does (excitement builds). 2 minutes later, I'm now a lifetime supporter (till death do us part right?). 

Today, my first support transaction, one american dollar a month.

DF is the first game that I bought and it's the first game that I'd be happy to support for my lifetime. (excitement crescendo!)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Lifetime supporter
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:40:13 am »

Well done.  :) Now convince your family to do the same.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:45:49 am »

Actually, I've just had a read of this and it looks a bit worrying:

Credit card fees

Stripe fees (credit card) - 1.9% + $0.30 per transaction.
PayPal fees - 5% + $0.05 per transaction.

Credit card fees are completely dependent on your patrons, their pledge amounts, and their payments.  We bulk process all patron pledges to decrease fees. That means if I’m supporting two creators my credit card or PayPal will only be charged one time for all of my pledges. Those fees will then be split among the creators.

Transfer fees

US creators receiving payment via Stripe - $0.25 fee for every deposit.
US creators receiving payment via PayPal - 2% of the amount transferred capped at $1 per deposit.
International creators receiving payment via PayPal - 2% of the amount transferred capped at $20 per deposit.
International creators receiving global bank deposit via Payoneer - $3 transfer fee per deposit
*This does not include any fees associated with converting USD to your native currency.

Correct me if I'm wrong but since I put my credit card down and I'm only supporting DF, this is where my $1 goes
0.30 - credit card fee for transaction
0.02 - 1.9% credit card fee for transaction
0.25 - transfer fee for my deposit
0.05 - 5% patreon fee
i.e out of my $1/month, 0.62 or 62% is not going to DF.

It says that DF has 970 patreons and there are 645 of us doing $1 or more a month. That means 325 are giving less than $1/month.
At $0.55, DF recieves nothing. Does that mean if someone was to give $0.50 cents, DF would actually have to pay MORE in fees than actually receive from donations?

I'm now thinking of just cancelling the account and giving a decade's worth of donation in one go. Fees would go from 62% to 2% of $120.
At this rate 2/3rd of my donations and most of those giving less than $1 would go to stripe and paypal.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:48:33 am »

Haha, when my son is old enough (he's 3.5), I'm going to show him how to play DF :) The rest of them... let's just say Farmville is more suited to their style.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:16 am »

Haha, when my son is old enough (he's 3.5), I'm going to show him how to play DF :) The rest of them... let's just say Farmville is more suited to their style.
That's a man. I thought the same when my son was 3.5. Now he is 9, and he already understands what's going on when I play DF :). He prefers to watch me play it than to make  hist own forts though, I guess he is not used to keyboard controls to enjoy it enough (yet).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:26:37 am »

That's a man. I thought the same when my son was 3.5. Now he is 9, and he already understands what's going on when I play DF :). He prefers to watch me play it than to make  hist own forts though, I guess he is not used to keyboard controls to enjoy it enough (yet).
"You mean you have to use your hands?  That's like a baby's toy!"

"...Oh, you don't want to know what this 'toy' does to babies."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:36:15 pm »

Actually, I've just had a read of this and it looks a bit worrying:

Credit card fees

Stripe fees (credit card) - 1.9% + $0.30 per transaction.
PayPal fees - 5% + $0.05 per transaction.

Credit card fees are completely dependent on your patrons, their pledge amounts, and their payments.  We bulk process all patron pledges to decrease fees. That means if I’m supporting two creators my credit card or PayPal will only be charged one time for all of my pledges. Those fees will then be split among the creators.

Transfer fees

US creators receiving payment via Stripe - $0.25 fee for every deposit.
US creators receiving payment via PayPal - 2% of the amount transferred capped at $1 per deposit.
International creators receiving payment via PayPal - 2% of the amount transferred capped at $20 per deposit.
International creators receiving global bank deposit via Payoneer - $3 transfer fee per deposit
*This does not include any fees associated with converting USD to your native currency.

Correct me if I'm wrong but since I put my credit card down and I'm only supporting DF, this is where my $1 goes
0.30 - credit card fee for transaction
0.02 - 1.9% credit card fee for transaction
0.25 - transfer fee for my deposit
0.05 - 5% patreon fee
i.e out of my $1/month, 0.62 or 62% is not going to DF.

It says that DF has 970 patreons and there are 645 of us doing $1 or more a month. That means 325 are giving less than $1/month.
At $0.55, DF recieves nothing. Does that mean if someone was to give $0.50 cents, DF would actually have to pay MORE in fees than actually receive from donations?

I'm now thinking of just cancelling the account and giving a decade's worth of donation in one go. Fees would go from 62% to 2% of $120.
At this rate 2/3rd of my donations and most of those giving less than $1 would go to stripe and paypal.

It's not *quite* that bad; the Stripe / PayPal payouts are when Bay12 withdraws at the end of the month; they get a lump sum and only pay the one fee.  So with any reasonable amount of contributors, far under 1 cent goes to that.  But, yes, about 37 cents of the first dollar goes to overhead, and only 63 cents to the artists; credit card transactions are *expensive*.  There are reasons many businesses have a $5 minimum bill to use a credit card, or whatever. 

Out of your first dollar, 37 cents goes to overhead, and 63 cents goes to who you are supporting.  But out of your second dollar and each subsequent dollar, only 7 cents goes to overhead, with 93 cents going to who you are supporting.  Many artist types on Patreon set their lowest support levels at around $3 a month because of this; overhead is 37+7+7 = 51 cents, payout to artist 63 + 93 + 93 = $2.49; they're getting about 83% net. 

Note also that Patreon is designed to try and optimize much of that away; if you support multiple campaigns, that 30 cents flat fee is divided amongst them, since Patreon only charges your card once per month.  Supporting three projects at $1 each is very nearly as efficient as one project at $3. 

tl;dr: try to spend at least $2 per month over all of Patreon if you can, and ideally $3 or more; otherwise, much of your effort goes to overhead.  (But, if you really can only spend the $1, the 63 cents the artists gets is better than nothing :)