Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (PbP)  (Read 11939 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (PbP)
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2015, 06:38:27 am »

"Common lots. Its time for us all to show our penance to He Who Lives on Holy Terra and ready ourselves to be received into his spirit for our final union with him. Lets let our burning passion for the life the Emperor has bestowed upon our worthless corpses!"
Gaultier shouts his words of piety hoping to inspire the men to work harder.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2015, 06:50:19 am »

Siegmund silently awaits at the helm-controls, ready to relay the commands and make the vessel spring into motion as soon as the orders came. For now, he simply lets her slowly glide through the void at half speed, playing the part of unwary prey.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:29:34 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2015, 07:41:31 am »

Echo twitched involuntarily at the Confessor. He muttered under his breath; he was sure that the Machine Spirits would be disturbed by the raucous 'priest'.

"Confessor Gaultier," Echo commented dryly. "Please do not disturb the rest of the Machine Spirits, especially in this crucial time."
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2015, 08:07:05 am »

Siegmund silently awaits at the helm-controls, ready to relay commands and put the vessel into motion as soon as the orders come.
Spoiler: Motion (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2015, 09:26:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2015, 02:02:36 pm »

Rogue Trader: "Mr. Maxwell, I'm sure you'll take care of things handily. Try keep an eye on the upper row of augurs, the lower one seems worse for precision."
The Lord-Captain uses his Exceptional Leader ability to give Maxwell Jordan a +10 Bonus to his next Test and orders the NPC Crewmen around.

Echo makes various rites and litanies in Binary, rapidly beeping and buzzing. Tenderly applying sacred unguents and ordering the servitors to spread incense, Echo Jace aids the Machine Spirit, that its augur arrays might find the foe.

Echo Aids the Machine Spirit!
TN = 78 (58 Int +10 Combi-tool +10 Servo-skull Assistance).
Result = 26 (Success + 5 DoS): The Ship's Detection for this Round receives a +15 bonus.
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Maxwell Jordan fiddled with a nearby workstation and began hunting for any suspicious signals.

Maxwell Jordan keeps an eye on the viewscreens and streams of data coming from the sensitive augur arrays, performing an Active Augury.
TN = 62 (12 Untrained Scrutiny, Half Per +25 Detection +15 Aid the Machine Spirit bonus +10 Exceptional Leader bonus)
Result = 14 (Success + 4 DoS). The scan covers +20 Void Units (5 per DoS). A ship on Silent Running is detected at point P18:

Siegmund silently awaits at the helm-controls, ready to relay the commands and make the vessel spring into motion as soon as the orders came. For now, he simply lets her slowly glide through the void at half speed, playing the part of unwary prey.

The ship moves 2 VUs straight forward in its usual unassuming pace as Siegmund performs a Default Manoeuvre Action (Half Speed).

Gaultier shouts his words of piety hoping to inspire the men to work harder.
Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)

The crew stops trying their own scan as soon as they notice Maxwell managed to get the ship on the screens: a Hazeroth-class Privateer trying to sneak towards them unnoticed, and it fits the description of the Abyss Plunderer. An etherics operator pats Maxwell's shoulder in congratulation.

Note - Crew Rating: A voidship's NPC crew can perform shipboard actions much like the players. When a Characteristic or Skill is called upon to perform a Test, the value is assumed to be equal to the Crew Rating. The NPC crew's actions per round of void combat are limited, either to a number set by the GM (usually three) or the tens digits of the Rating. The Bounty of Scintilla's crew is Crack (40).
Note - Weapon Range: A voidship weapon's maximum firing range is double the range listed in its stats; trying to fire at targets beyond maximum range results in an automatic failure. At half the distance listed or less, the Shooting Action receives a +10 BS bonus, while over the distance listed up to double the range, the Shooting Action receives a -10 BS penalty.

Map Update, enemy turn and next turn coming tonight.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:10:28 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:40 pm »

Spoiler: Current Map (click to show/hide)
The Rogue Trader spends a FP to auto-roll 10 in the Ship Combat Initiative check for a total of 10 +2 (Detection tens digit) = 12!
The Abyss Plunderer rolls initiative and gets 8 out of 1d10.

Someone inquires whether they should make an attempt at a Focused Augury aimed at the enemy vessel, though an etherics officer points out that while broadcasting the usual detection signs can be dismissed by the pirates as a normal precaution, bombarding them with the concentrated emission of a focused detection would make them know they had been discovered. The Rogue Trader agrees with the later opinion since both ships aren't even at fighting range yet.

What about you?

Note: The rulebook doesn't mention whether ships that were discovered via Active Augury know they were discovered. Since the Silent Running vessel cannot magically know their enemies have succeeded on the AA test - it is more about interpretation of the data than how the signal returns - then it stands to reason that despite knowing the ship tried an Active Augury (judging by descriptions the signal can be detected quite easily by everyone around the ship unless it's on Silent Running itself), the sneaky vessel can't know it was detected unless by noticing abnormalities in the other ship.
Also of note is that the book doesn't mention whether the Silent Running ship can disappear from the radar again if it uses it next turn to silent run once more, requiring another Active Augury. Using the personal stealth rules, I'll rule that it's already been discovered and the discovering vessel can "keep it on the radar".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:49:21 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2015, 12:15:51 am »

The Enginseer regarded the situation irritably, as if the course of action were simple enough for a toddler.

"We are not in range. The Machine Spirits of the macrocannons, though mighty, cannot smite our foes at this range." He twitched and murmured something in Binary. "Let them wallow in their false safety, and incinerate them with the weapons of Mars when optimal."
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2015, 03:10:20 am »

"I agree," Maxwell said. "They will not be expecting us to be heavily armed. Let them get close enough to ensure a solid hit before we open fire. If we act as a poorly-armed, cowardly merchantman would normally, they'll never know what hit them."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2015, 08:59:42 am »

"We have less speed, we cannot pursue. We need to lure them closer, and finish or cripple them before they can flee." Siegmund raised his hawk-like stare. "We cannot give them a chance to reconsider the attack."
Past Sigs

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2015, 10:56:10 am »

Spoiler: MAP; SHIP AT C9 (click to show/hide)
~~Turn 1~~

Dozens of minutes pass as the transport slowly moves forward while the insidious pirate ship also heads straight ahead. With Abyss Plunderer's presence already known to them, the Etherics crewmen continue to track its movements even as it continues to move in a low-energy mode in its attempt to stay hidden. Though the pirates are unaware they have been discovered, they obviously don't intend to run silently forever.

"They will most likely try to close in, announce their presence and demand our surrender so they may board and plunder any riches. It's what they did to the last vessel they attacked, at least." The Rogue Trader seems to be considering his options. "Depending on how close they are when they hail us, we'll either open fire or 'accept' and let them get closer. I take that's acceptable. Of course, if you want to let a few of their boarders try their luck just to die..."

Spoiler: Advised Actions (click to show/hide)

Crew:

Spoiler: OOC Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:29:31 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:01 pm »

(Question, do we have boarding ships?)
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »

((All ships supposedly have some boarding shuttles for 'Hit and Run' action (basically, fly to their ship, drop a bomb, get back); boarding proper, however, requires bringing the ships themselves close together. ))
Past Sigs

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2015, 05:30:02 pm »

((Turn included in the post I made earlier. I've been reading on assault craft and torpedoes and the latter are very, very deadly.))
>Yes?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2015, 09:07:41 pm »

"I say, let them come and board, Captain. Officer Jordan can whip the armsmen in shape prior to the boarding action, and either of us could lead them into fight. Furthermore, since my guidance at the helm would not be needed while the ships are tangled together, I could lead a crack team of marines to board and assault their ship from the opposite side, hopefully crippling their engines. With our vessel's speed and shape, long-range combat will likely not be to our favour in this fight, whereas this way we might win without so much as a scratch on the blessed adamantine plating of your vessel."
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8