Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (PbP)  (Read 11934 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (PbP)
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:35 pm »

"I disagree," the old soldier interrupted.

"Oh, not with the idea of letting them send a boarding team over. However, I would recommend that we open fire with this vessel's batteries at point-blank range rather than attempt a counter-boarding action. I have no doubt that we could repel their boarding teams, especially if a lucky shot destroys a few of their shuttles, but one must not forget that these are hardened raiders. They likely have much more experience with ship-board fighting than most of us, and they could repel us just as easily. Once their ship has been crippled by the Bounty of Scintilla's macrobatteries, then we can board."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »

"That..." Siegmund lowered his head for a moment, then tightened his jaw in agreement, "... is reasonable. They might very well be equipped to assist with the boarding action, and while we'd still triumph, we'd end up knee-deep in the crew's bodies, which should be avoided. With luck, we might even catch them by surprise as we open fire at point-blank range and re-take initiative."

"However, it should be noted, that they might decide to do the same to us - soften up before boarding, so to speak. We're gambling with that."

"Finally, should we make evasive manoeuvres as we fire? It would impede with our own aim just as well as with theirs. Is it worth it? On the other hand, there's not much we could do, with our aim being closing up with them - short of ramming their vessel." He frowned. "I assume we would wait until we are at point-blank range? It'd be within an operational range of an assault shuttle, so that option is still on the table. Second Helmsman and the midshipmen can steer the vessel without my guidance, if the orders are simple enough - and there is no reason they shouldn't be, at that distance."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2015, 12:43:47 am »

"I do not believe they will fire more than a warning shot; our shields are down and freighters are not known for durability, so they will not want to risk damaging or destroying precious cargo. If we wait to fire until their boarding shuttles have launched, we will catch them at their most vulnerable. We will still have to deal with a hostile boarding party of course, but I'm confident we can handle that. If need be I will take the fight to them myself."
Maxwell hefted his hellgun for emphasis.

"We can attempt evasive maneuvers once the ruse is revealed, of course, but the timing will be critical. We can't maneuver before they launch the shuttles or they will not believe our surrender to be genuine. We also don't want to throw off the aim of our first volley, so we will have to move immediately after the opening shots are fired. It will be tight, but this is a good crew. I'm sure they can do it."

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2015, 02:55:32 am »

"I agree with the fleshbag Jordan. The weak-minded pirates, though stupid, see the glory of machinery and cargo, and would not dream of firing upon an otherwise easily taken prize."

He stroked his servo-skull lovingly. Turning to the two officers, Echo grinned (as much as his still-living muscles allowed). "If possible, please leave some fleshbags in functioning condition." He turned to the Rogue Trader, his smile twitching. "If, of course, you'd humor me, Lord Fleshbag." Lord Fleshbag was the most Echo could achieve of niceities.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »

Though the captain seemed humored by the Explorator's antics, the reply wasn't that generous. "Motion denied until you learn basic manners."
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2015, 12:58:49 pm »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 02:33:58 pm »

>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015, 11:55:03 pm »

Spoiler: MAP; SHIP AT E9 (click to show/hide)
~~Turn 2~~

Yet another few scores of minutes pass and the Bounty continues on its slow but sure path. The eyes of the Etherics operators are all on the signals on their screens. The ratings that work on the disguised macrocannons and prow lance weapon are already in a state of readiness, prepared to begin fire at a moment's notice. The Abyss Plunderer continues to move at half-speed for a raider, turning towards the transport as if preparing to intercept it.

"It shouldn't be long before they make their move... Master-at-Arms Maxwell, do you want to prepare your men?" It sounded as much a question as a polite advice.

Crew:

Spoiler: OOC Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:57:06 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2015, 12:32:07 am »

Though the captain seemed humored by the Explorator's antics, the reply wasn't that generous. "Motion denied until you learn basic manners."

The enginseer grumbled off, muttering in Binary about illogical and inefficient fleshbag antics. However, he stayed where he was needed if he was ever called upon.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2015, 01:35:18 am »

Maxwell bowed to the Lord-Captain, then toggled a switch that would transmit his voice across the entire vessel.

"Attention: this is Master-At-Arms Jordan. We are being approached by a pirate vessel, which will likely attempt to board and take control of the ship shortly. We will deny them. All hands, Prepare to Repel Boarders! I repeat, prepare to repel boarders! Retrieve your assigned weapons from the armory and report to your stations. By the grace of the Emperor we will triumph this day!"

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:39 am »

Unconcerned an unfazed, Siegmund awaited the beginning of battle, as the crew under his command kept the ship moving forward at the same half-speed.
Past Sigs

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2015, 09:05:50 am »

"If you mind me not, Lord Captain, and Master-of-Arms, I feel that I may serve the Emperors Grace better by the side of our Anti-Boarders. It is my duty as a Priest of the Ecclesiarchy to see that the souls of our men be put at ease and returned to the God Emperors if, indeed the need arises. It is also my duty to tear those who oppose us from their wayward course, and force their sins to be exposed before their very own eyes, so that they may be able to chose life in the Emperors grace, or," He holds up his chainsword sideways, as if to examine its beautiful and intrinsic design. "Or, death by his true servants."
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2015, 10:00:03 pm »

"You can join them, but you might not face any action. Wouldn't you rather motivate the macrocannon crews? Their time to spring into action is near." After replying to the missionary, the captain turned his attention to give Maxwell's effort to gather armsmen and prepare them a touch of his own.

"Follow his lead, men! If the pirate scum try to board our ship, make them regret it!" With his orders, the Rogue Trader used his Exceptional Leader skills to boost Maxwell's commands.

Quote from: Sirus

Maxwell rallies the men, Preparing to Repel Boarders!
TN = 76 (56 Fel +5 Loyalty +5 Officer on Deck +10 Exceptional Leader).
Result 54 (1 Success +2 DoS = +20 to Command Tests vs boarding).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:18:02 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2015, 11:01:07 pm »

~~Turn 2.5 - Enemy Turn~~

The etherics operators say the ship's being the target of a focused augury, the pirates having apparently decided to drop their act already. The Bouty's systems in place to prevent auguries from scanning the weapons and traps in place seems to work, since it doesn't take long and the vox systems blare into life as a rough voice announces the pirates' presence and their demands: "This is the Abyss Plunderer and I'm its captain, Nicos Testar. You might've heard about us already, 'cause we've certainly heard about you. We've heard about your cargo and we want it all. You give it up and none of you ladies get hurt."

The Rogue Trader clears his throat and shoots his men a knowing look before taking a vox-box and replying. "The Abyss? Didn't the cargo from the last ship get you rich enough? And what kind of assurance do I have that you'll leave my ship be after you get your prize?" There's a moment of silence before the gruff response comes back. "I don't wanna risk facing Wander's monitors and taking your ship is better for my business than killing your people or taking your ship. The last ship still had people innit, didn't it? Now, either you surrender or I'm opening up and I'll kill at least half the crew and you after getting the cargo."

The Rogue Trader spent a moment in silence as if he was a merchant trader weighing the importance of his life against his cargo's. "...You got a deal. You get in, you get the cargo, then you get out" He sounds reluctant but resigned, like a proud ex-navy captain. "Good, now I want you stopped dead in the black; stop moving, open your shuttle bays closest to the cargo hold and we'll be right there." The raider moves straight towards the cargo ship at half-speed, which is more than the Bounty's full strength ahead.

~~Turn 3~~

"Men, prepare for combat." The Rogue Trader stands up from his command throne and gives the neighboring screens a check. "They're still not at half-range. Do you want to let them get to point-blank but risk a crash and boarding before we can fire? They did board the last ship, but it refused to comply at first, and as soon as they had stolen the cargo they left without killing too many of the surrendered crew, no doubt smart enough to not risk being found out by a Navy patrol." The Trader raises a finger. "The macrocannons are so well concealed they might panic as soon as they're shot upon. If we fire now, they might chicken out and escape; if we let them get too close, we might get boarded. What is your poison of choice?"

Crew:

Spoiler: OOC Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:58:22 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8