Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (PbP)  (Read 11931 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ROGUE TRADER THREAD CURRENTLY HOLDING: SHIP VERSUS SHIP TEST COMBAT

The news spread like wildfire in a single day across the system's docks and space station, most likely the work of a vain captain or first mate: the Abyss Plunderer, a Raider from an independent group of pirates hailing from the Hazeroth Abyss, managed to chase down, board and ransack an unassuming trading vessel that secretly carried a small fortune in exquisite alien jewels jealously locked in unmarked adamantine crates. The plunder is enough to guarantee luxuries for the pirate crew and is also a stiff hit to the credibility of the Burkham dynasty's company, responsible for the transportation of the cargo, even more than it is to their coffers. With their small cargo holds half-full with the exotic goods stolen from the defenseless trader, it is just a matter of time before the pirates leave the system to evade any pursuit by the sluggish Imperial patrols.

However, an enterprising Rogue Trader has a different idea. He and his seneschal were in the system discreetly overseeing the purchase of a transport ship modified to give grief to any pirates who decided to fight it, and that was when they caught wind of the news. With a nose for profit and glory, it didn't take a moment until they had pieced together a plan in order to gain wealth from others' tragedy. The organization that had been originally transporting the valuable crystals was contacted and a deal was struck: the cargo would be retrieved and in exchange not only would the Rogue Trader be handsomely rewarded, they would also gain an advantageous partnership for future deals.

With their only combat-capable ship - a frigate - in the shipyard for repairs after extended combat against other raiders, the Burkham family relented and accepted the deal. It had the added benefit that establishing a partnership meant they claim it already existed prior to the event, therefore saving face. The ink on the parchment hadn't dried and the seneschal was already at work, discreetly spreading rumors about a transport carrying compact and valuable cargo about to leave the docks and whose captain had decided to leave the system after catching wind of the most recent and daring deeds of piracy. With the bait being laid with the right amount of care by the seneschal, his employer then began searching for capable men and women to crew the Bounty of Scintilla while his main crew prepared his flagship on the rendezvous point the Bounty is supposed to head to as soon as it finishes its mission.

Who are you? You are one of the many capable men and women who were found and quickly hired by the Rogue Trader, given such a good opportunity at quick riches and some of the spotlight it was hard to decline. Now you are part of the Bounty of Scintilla's skilled crew, having recently left the docks and preparing to hopefully draw the Abyss Plunderer into your trap by feigning weakness while plotting a Warp jump. If the pirates' greed wins over common sense, it is up to you to capitalize on their mistakes and emerge victorious.

What this is about: This is a Play-by-Post test combat I am going to run using the rules of the Rogue Trader RPG game, by Fantasy Flight Games, set in the Warhammer 40k setting. Following the link is advised if you didn't understand a word. Why am I doing that? Because starting next week I'm going to play in a campaign of said system as, well, the Rogue Trader. Since I've never taken part in space combat and due to its apparent messiness, I've decided to create this test thread in order to get acquainted with it. I might draw very simple maps for combat, and I intend to get the test started until tomorrow's evening.
What am I looking for: A crew for the test combat, of course. I will give preference to those who'd join the roll20 game but can't due to their schedule, though anyone - even those who are joining the campaign I'm part of (they could use the experience) - can apply. I want to update at least once a day after the thread gets started, but knowing myself it might not happen - in any case I'd like volunteers who won't disappear as soon as combat starts. This is as much of a tutorial for me as it is to you, but I figured it could be made interesting. The Rogue Trader will be controlled by me (since that's the role I want to get acquainted to). The focus of this test is space combat, therefore a Seneschal or Missionary character isn't necessary, though they can surely be useful for some Extended Actions - if you don't mind being the equivalent of the crew's/PCs cheerleader - while two or maybe even three Void-masters with different special abilities wouldn't be amiss. For anyone who doesn't have the books (Core rulebook and Into the Storm are the ones for chargen) but is interested in applying, you might PM me or adwarf for assistance with the material. Please fill the sheet below if you are interested, and I'll answer questions when I see them.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:18:24 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:04:38 pm »

Reserved since I might use this for more stuff after the first combat test.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »

I guess i can try.. . . .  But sunday when, is the question.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:07 pm »

I'm not recruiting for the roll20 campaign here. This is a thread for a PbP combat test.
>Yes?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [W40k] Rogue Trader Test Combat: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (PbP)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:38:47 pm »

PbP?
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:24 pm »

Play by Post, like the forum games held here.
>Yes?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:44:23 pm »

Ah. . .  So. . .  That means you want me to make a character, right? Using the sheet you left, above?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:51 pm »

I'm going to bed in a few, but if this is a Play-by-Post, then you can count me in. Will need help with the sheet tomorrow.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:10 pm »

I'll be putting together a sheet for an Astropath. Never had a psyker in one of these games before!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:41:59 am »

The Wolf: Modified Loki-class Q-ship, "Bounty of Scintilla"
Speed: 4 | Detection: +15 (+10) | Manoeuvrability: +0 | Hull Integrity: 40 | Armour: 14 | Turret Rating: 1
Space: 45 (Used: 45) | Power: 40 (Used: 40) | Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 1, Prow 1
Hull: Transport | Class: Re-appropriated Loki-class Q-ship | Dimensions: 2 km long, 0.4 km abeam at fins approx.
Mass: 8 megatonnes, approx. | Crew: 18000 crew, approx. | Accel: 6.6 gravities max. sustainable acceleration.
Morale: 100 | Crew: 100 | Crew Rating: Crack (40)
Essential Components: Good Craftsmanship Strelov 1 Warp Engines, Gellar Field, Good Craftsmanship Lathe Pattern Class 1 Drive, Void Shield, Commerce Bridge, Best Craftsmanship Vitae-pattern Life Sustainer, Voidsmen Quarters, M-201.b Auger Array.
Supplemental Components: Dorsal Best Craftsmanship Mars Pattern Macrocannons, Prow Starbreaker Lance Weapon, 2 Main Cargo Holds, Armour Plating, Augmented Retrothrusters, Tenebro-maze.
Complications: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (True identify of three Components is masked: tenebro-maze, lance & macrobatteries), Adventurous (+10 Detection during an Endeavor).
Components & Misc. Bonuses: +10 Detection during an Endeavor; Tech-Use Tests to repair the ship gain +10 as long as the bridge remains undamaged; +10 to all Command Tests when defending against boarding and Hit and Run actions; when a Component on this ship is selected to be affected from a critical hit, it is chosen by the ship’s controller, not the attacker.

VS

The Prey: Hazeroth-class Privateer, "Abyss Plunderer"
Speed: 10 | Detection: +12 | Manoeuvrability: +23 | Hull Integrity: 32 | Armour: 14
Turret Rating: 1 | Space: 35 | Power: ? | Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 1, Prow 1
Hull: Raider | Class: Hazeroth-class Privateer | Dimensions: 1.5 km long, 0.25 km abeam at fins approx.
Mass: 5 megatonnes, approx. | Crew: 22000 crew, approx.
Accel: 5.6 gravities max. sustainable acceleration. | Morale: ? | Crew: ? | Crew Rating: ?
Essential Components: ?
Supplemental Components: ?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:00:42 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 01:50:35 pm »

That's a mighty fine ship we've got there.

I'm working on my character sheet and it's almost done. Hoping to finish it tonight after I get home.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

It's pretty good-looking and expensive for a transport ship.

Since there's been a serious shortage of applications, I'll draft some people from the roll20 campaign. I haven't given up on running this, just to make it clear.
>Yes?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 03:34:48 pm »

I think I may take a premade. Haracter. Cant even find the rulebook. Need to get it off a friend. If you could make a Priest character for me. And I mean the Ministorum priest

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:36:39 pm »

I'm ok with playing pretty much any character, mechanically. I'll take a Pre-gen, and just fluff them.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 08:38:50 pm »

Then you should fill the sheet as requested and I'll supply the mechanics.

Twin: gunner void-master it'll be then.
>Yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8