Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help a newbie out--critique my fortress!  (Read 1969 times)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help a newbie out--critique my fortress!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thepodger:
<STRONG>And yes, Dom3 is also astoundingly deep... right now I'm having a ton of fun with Mictlan... be evil for fun and profit!</STRONG>

Minor thread derailment, but I looked at Dominions 3, and it seems cool - but it's $55!  what's up with that?

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

Yes, but it's $55 of pure, unadulterated awesomeness.

Actually, it's $55 because it has a limited audience due to anachronistic graphics and unforgiving difficulty.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

While I have firm faith in Slartibartfast's opinion, I still can't spend $55 on a hard, complicated game without having seen it firsthand :-/

Anyway, I'll stop the threadjack now :-D

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thepodger:
<STRONG>Also, a smaller complaint:

the walls/river/pretty much everything of my fortress tend toward being totally drenched in blood/vomit due to my current war with the chasm denizens... they're particularly prevalent on this map.  A lot of my dwarves have "cleaning" enabled--this gets rid of the mess, neh?  Should I have a single designated janitor dwarf?  

Also: Do people usually specialize their haulers?  I.e., one dwarf hauls -only- stone, etc?

Thanks again guys.</STRONG>

Cleaning is bugged(ish) and/or very low priority so it rarely gets done. However, blood and vomit don't seem to bother dwarves as all so it's not really a big deal (even if it is a bit ugly). It all vanishes on season change anyway.

I don't specialize my haulers for the most part, though once I get alot of dwarves sometimes I will specialize 1 or 2 if there is something I really want hauled that doesn't seem to be getting done regularly.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

quote:
While I have firm faith in Slartibartfast's opinion, I still can't spend $55 on a hard, complicated game without having seen it firsthand :-/

And you shouldn't.
Dominions definitely isn't for everyone, so I don't think anyone should buy it without trying it first.
Luckily though, I'm pretty sure the demo is pretty good (I never played the dom3 demo, but I did play the dom2 one  :)), so you can try that for free from the Downlod Section in the Shrapnel Games website.
55$, by the way, isn't really an outrageous sum, its only 5$ more than an average commercial game at release, and its great to know that your 55$ get to good people (and not money-grubbing originality lacking EA  :)).
It costs 55$ because its a niche game with a small demographic that has to make as much money of the few people who purchase it (not that few, but compared to WoW its definitely just a few people), and also fans of that niche are (on average) (much) older than the general gaming public, and so are more likely to afford more expensive games.

And that's the end of the hijack, hopefuly.

As for the lovely tombscarred:
1) You do realize that those unsmoothed points on the road inside your fortress will prevent the caravan from recognising it as a complete road? Try building bridges on top of those spots.
2) The protective channel you put to avoid permafloods has statues on its ends, that means that an invader (or a tantrumer) could destroy them and thus leave you vulenrable to permafloods. I'd move those statues and make the channel cover the entire hallway.
3) Indoor refuse stockpiles are a lot of fun, since you can easily craft lots of cheap bone bolts. Just remember to double-door the stockpiles to avoid miasma spillage. Most of my fortresses end up completely refuse free since my bolt makers just gobble up all of the bones.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"
Pages: 1 [2]