Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, USAA: 1972 Design  (Read 9256 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, USAA: 1971 Production
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2015, 06:55:25 am »

Well, we already created a good anti-satellite weapon last year, so we're already able to kill their sats (if not their capsules particularly effectively).

Here's a suggestion then: radio jamming. Their Crowmurder SAMs used by both their Z-1 and Sunrise requires radio contact with ground based radar stations. We could design a radio-jammer that can be used on the surface to attack their satellites and in our jets to disrupt their Z-1s.

Perhaps the most efficient thing to do would be to design an anti-radio device (if we develop something novel in the design phase then all our tech can be upgraded with it) and then in the revision phase we can stick radar-absorbent iron-ball paint on our Type-20s. This would simultaneously attack both their radio-based technology and their radar-based technology, and it would be difficult for them to counter both at the same time in a subsequent phase.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:02:53 am by notquitethere »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2015, 06:56:21 am »

Not a bad idea. I like it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2015, 07:02:46 am »

Sure, and we already created a good anti-satellite weapon last year. Here's a suggestion then: radio jamming. Their Crowmurder SAMs used by both their Z-1 and Sunrise requires radio contact with ground based radar stations. We could design a radio-jammer that can be used on the surface to attack their satellites and in our jets to disrupt their Z-1s.
I'll give this design my +1.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2015, 07:05:24 am »

Sure, and we already created a good anti-satellite weapon last year. Here's a suggestion then: radio jamming. Their Crowmurder SAMs used by both their Z-1 and Sunrise requires radio contact with ground based radar stations. We could design a radio-jammer that can be used on the surface to attack their satellites and in our jets to disrupt their Z-1s.
I'll give this design my +1.
Good idea. Eventually do you think we could hack their radio frequencies and give them wrong orders?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:19 am »

OK, so here's a simple jammer:

Spoiler: Type AA Radio Jammer (click to show/hide)

(As for naming convention, equipment seems to have letter designation, so maybe non-vehicular equipment should be double-lettered)

In later phases we could revise it so we can transmit on enemy frequencies or put forth fake all-clear signals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2015, 07:22:50 am »

One problem, our ARM's might be thrown off by the jamming.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2015, 07:25:55 am »

That just mean we require good jammer discipline.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2015, 07:31:20 am »

Yeah presumably most of the time our jets won't be jamming an enemy jet at the same time as they want to be deploying the ARM (or maybe we'll use different frequencies than the ones we're jamming). Once we have the tech we can make it more sophisticated as needed.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2015, 07:40:20 am »

The ARM targets any radiation source they've been configured to target, so they should be able to hit comms and such as well.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:22 am »

OK, so here's a simple jammer:

Spoiler: Type AA Radio Jammer (click to show/hide)

(As for naming convention, equipment seems to have letter designation, so maybe non-vehicular equipment should be double-lettered)
+1

In later phases we could revise it so we can transmit on enemy frequencies or put forth fake all-clear signals.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:42 am »

Ok, radio jammer it is.

What do we do against the missiles. I think chaff and upgrading speed should be a good idea.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2015, 08:02:50 am »

Yeah thinking about it, chaff would be cheaper than my earlier radar-absorbing paint idea. It's a solid revision idea.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2015, 08:03:32 am »

Could someone explain what chaff is?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2015, 08:08:38 am »

A bunch of mettalic fragment design to create radar echo when dropped from an aircraft.

I'm a bit worried about the fact that our ASAT was fooled by a hot battery. They could easily devellop counter-measure and make it entirely ineffective. Maybe we could improve it one way or another? Fit the radiation homing in it so it has a back-up homing mechanism?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2015, 08:11:09 am »

Could we give it manual control if it gets fooled?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11