Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design  (Read 12833 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1971 Revision
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2015, 05:20:25 pm »

gyrojets would work every time, all the time

More likely, they work none of the time ever  :P.

Copying other medium's weapons is just boring, in my opinion. Especially when it is something as unrealistic as 40k.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »

Copying other medium's weapons is just boring, in my opinion. Especially when it is something as unrealistic as 40k.
Gyrojets are real weapons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZq5frO4rk

So not sure what's leading you to think LSP's got 40k in mind.

But one of the biggest issues with gyrojets is that, too much of the time, they don't work. Failure rates higher than 1% per shot.
Source? I'm curious.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:08:13 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »

Gyrojets are real weapons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZq5frO4rk

But one of the biggest issues with gyrojets is that, too much of the time, they don't work. Failure rates higher than 1% per shot.
Source?

I know. They where absolutely awful weapons. Wikipedia has his figure of 1% down. Like, "We would be better off handing them muskets" bad.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2015, 07:24:42 pm »

Apparently LSP's obsession on the things is because of WH40k's Bolters.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2015, 09:15:01 pm »

So not sure what's leading you to think LSP's got 40k in mind.

I missed this part  :-\. Probably edited it in...

His second post on them insisted to make them HE tips, and when prodded he admitted he just wanted Bolters. So that is what made me think it  :P.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2015, 01:42:25 am »

Revision: Belle Semiautomatic Mk.ii
The handgun's barrel length is increased by a few inches and perforated to direct muzzle blast horizontally, which both reduces recoil, improves heat management, and prevents muzzle flash from obstructing the sight picture, and potentially blinding the user which is exacerbated by holding the weapon close to one's face. A built-in wire frame stock, which folds over the top of the gun, is added as well, which increases the weapon's bulk and weight only very slightly, but increases steadiness while only being slightly harder to handle. Designers made sure that the weapon could still be fired comfortably even while the stock was folded. Astronauts start wearing their weapons on straps because the stock doesn't allow a traditional holster. This new model is not adopted by jet pilots because of the stock, who stick with the Belle Mk.i. [1 Ore, Inexpensive]

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1971 Production
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2015, 01:54:54 am »

Perfectly fine that jet pilots don't use it. We should prolly give them something automatic later.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2015, 03:00:50 am »

so how about these gyrojets again, more serious this time and tossing away the hurp durp bolters for a lil

you guys seem to be focused on rl stuff as if we can't bypass that through ~game phase magic~ so let me hit you with some rl shit right there

first thing you'll notice about this is the weight, and i actually went ahead and found you a comparable model weightwise - the walther ppk at 632 grams.
not quite so impractical for handheld use, now is it? and i think you will agree that a frag or he .50 rocket will provide more firepower than a .380 acp round?

to be noted is that the gyrojet itself can be made of cheap, stamped parts. why so? because of the recoil. the projectile is accelerated after leaving the barrel, meaning we could as well make the gun itself out of plastic (in fact, the rl gyrojet guns were made out of zinc - you don't even need to rifle the stuff with the gyrostabilization effect being inherent to the projectile's thrust itself, and the simplicity of design means jams and the like are impossible.

also, the misfires themselves were caused by shoddy manufacturing standards, not anything related to the gyrojet concept itself. so whatever you're getting at, i have no idea

finally, considering that heat management problems will be a thing in orbital combat, note that only a tenth of the gyrojet's thermal output is in the gun itself, the rest is produced by and remains in the projectile (so you might as well hit the enemy's spacecraft and boil its occupants to death)

so why are we not developing them yet? i say we do. develop a series of upgrades, standardizing our firearms as gyrojets

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2015, 04:07:30 am »

A) We don't even know what's going to happen in the next turn
B) We would need to spend a whole development phase on sidearms, when we've just spent a revision phase on them. Save it for something bigger.

Plus, since it looks like you didn't know, deathwind.com looks to have a serious case of the not reals.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2015, 11:58:46 am »

so how about these gyrojets again, more serious this time and tossing away the hurp durp bolters for a lil

you guys seem to be focused on rl stuff as if we can't bypass that through ~game phase magic~ so let me hit you with some rl shit right there

first thing you'll notice about this is the weight, and i actually went ahead and found you a comparable model weightwise - the walther ppk at 632 grams.
not quite so impractical for handheld use, now is it? and i think you will agree that a frag or he .50 rocket will provide more firepower than a .380 acp round?

to be noted is that the gyrojet itself can be made of cheap, stamped parts. why so? because of the recoil. the projectile is accelerated after leaving the barrel, meaning we could as well make the gun itself out of plastic (in fact, the rl gyrojet guns were made out of zinc - you don't even need to rifle the stuff with the gyrostabilization effect being inherent to the projectile's thrust itself, and the simplicity of design means jams and the like are impossible.

also, the misfires themselves were caused by shoddy manufacturing standards, not anything related to the gyrojet concept itself. so whatever you're getting at, i have no idea

finally, considering that heat management problems will be a thing in orbital combat, note that only a tenth of the gyrojet's thermal output is in the gun itself, the rest is produced by and remains in the projectile (so you might as well hit the enemy's spacecraft and boil its occupants to death)

so why are we not developing them yet? i say we do. develop a series of upgrades, standardizing our firearms as gyrojets

...But what you are suggesting is still a bolter.

First off, I wasn't the one to bring up the weight issue. But you do have to remember the gyrojet bullets weigh significantly more then .380 acp. Trying to fit enough explosives in it to be practical would make it weigh even more, and the .380 would still be more dangerous because it can actually hit the enemy. Our opponents don't have armored space suits, we just have to rip them for a kill. Additionally, having explosive rounds only would mean that they are literally defenseless if the enemy gets within 10 meters of them. Since we are looking at a maximum range of ~50 meters, and in the non-propaganda film we touched down within sight of each other, we should expect the enemy to get close where they can use their weapon to its fullest advantage.

Our guns are already literally the cheapest we can get them.  This game's resources are on the scale of thousands of jets or satellites, thousands of pistols with the modifications are nothing. And the fact that the guns are cheap doesn't matter when the ammunition is more difficult to produce then a normal gun. And, as stated before, the gyrojet has horrible reliability. 1 out of 100 rounds is a failure. In perfect conditions. Compared to the M9 (somewhat similar to our guns), we are looking at 17,500 rounds without stoppage.

As he said^ that sight isn't very reliable and is kind of a gyrojet fanboy page that isn't grounded in reality. Basically, armchair weapon designers who are playing a game like this...without realizing they are playing a game. If you look at their home page, they really believe that they designed the next generation of warfare in their garage  :P. It isn't your fault the internet is full of lies!

Everything I have read hasn't suggested the reliability issues are due to manufacturing issues. I saw some claiming the aiming issues where from a similar problem, but had no comments on reliability.

While heat management will be a problem in the future, I think it should be simple to reduce to an effective point. We could add heat-sink like effects to the cartridge, for example. At the moment, firefights shouldn't be prolonged enough for this to become a huge issue. The guns could still shoot until the metal starts melting, after all. And it doesn't really matter if the heat is less, you will be able to fire less ammunition with the gyrojet. The magazines will have significantly less ammunition capacity, while being heavier and more cumbersome, so in effect you will be able to carry/fire more with conventional ballistic weapons.

We aren't doing them because multiple of our major players think it is a bad idea. Besides, I would like to play one weapon design game where nobody develops the useless-in-real-life bolter.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2015, 05:39:30 pm »

Besides, I would like to play one weapon design game where nobody develops the useless-in-real-life bolter.
You make it sound like that happens a lot.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »

Besides, I would like to play one weapon design game where nobody develops the useless-in-real-life bolter.
You make it sound like that happens a lot.

Doesn't it? I don't play often, but each Weapon Design game I have played someone suggested it  :-\. Including the one I had run for like a week.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2015, 05:49:40 pm »

Never played one before, so I wouldn't know. I don't come to FG&RP often, I'm only here because this one satisfies my space race fetish.

EDIT: So... while we're waiting, who wants to talk about going to the moon? Right now it'd probably be a national effort to make a rocket big enough, so we'd not really be able to control it for extended periods. And TBH we'd want to develop all kinds of stuff first, like a semi-permanent colony. Appolo-style hours-long stays won't cut it for long term control.
Overall I could see it taking 3 or more turns (both design and revision) to get that possibility to a workable phase. Pretty big investment that we can't really afford at the moment.

But hey at least we have a decent chance at fucking up their attempts to into the moon. Atmospheric AND orbital interception.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:45:03 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2015, 01:15:30 pm »

I would disagree on that. Right now, if we can get it to the moon, we would get all those resources (thus making it cheaper to do all the stuff we want to do on the moon). Even if they send someone, our newly modified gun gives us a big advantage in lunar combat. Basically it would be enough to turn a National Effort into a Very Expensive. We don't need a moon colony to control the moon right now, we just need to put a guy on it.

Also, since we have "the metric system" as a technology, we should update it with a new one! I suggest we go back to cubits and paces, which we all know are better for space travel! It is difficult for our scientists and engineers to envision "X meters/Kilometers", where it is easy to say "Oh, so it is X paces from here to the moon! I know how long a pace is!". With this new familiarity, space will be ours!

We could probably make a rocket design and get a general price range for it, there is no reason to guess on the price right now.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2015, 01:28:13 pm »

It looks like ore is used for solid propellant rockets?  Since we have more ore we could create a multi stage rocket using solid fuel boosters then a two stage liquid engine phase to launch larger payloads.

Once we can launch.. medium?  payloads we can work to reduce the cost and make launch costs routine rather then expensive, then we can build multi part designs in space.

We should be using one phase each year, design or revision, to achieve something like that.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15