Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design  (Read 12853 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1971 Design
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2015, 03:41:36 am »

I wouldn't cut out your thoughts on better equipping our astronauts. It's definitely something to think about, since we have to make up for their low numbers somehow.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:43 am »

let's make our astronauts into mechstronauts

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2015, 04:44:18 am »

That is why I crossed it out rather then deleting it, not for this turn, but sometime in the future.

What I imagine is a set of armor plates that can be put over the existing suit when combat is expected and removed when delicate work is needed.  Since most combat is going to be at the several miles at several meters per second rate right now I suspect this will not be needed in the immediate future.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2015, 11:17:18 am »

Don't be silly. Iron Man needs an obnoxious rich entrepreneur to work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:05 pm »

Sunrise Disposable Missile Sat
A repurposed comsat that has a pair of disposable missile tubes that carry Crowmurder missiles modified for use in space. Powerful ground radars detect targets in space, feed the information into computers, and send it to the missile via radio. The missile is fired, then detonated on command before it reaches its target. Uses a fragmentation warhead normally utilized in air-to-air engagements to kill the enemy. [2 Ores, 2 Chemicals, Inexpensive]

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2015, 10:04:24 pm »

That could be a fun action to take. Might be a little far off right now, though.

Sunrise Disposable Missile Sat
A repurposed comsat that has a pair of disposable missile tubes that carry Crowmurder missiles modified for use in space. Powerful ground radars detect targets in space, feed the information into computers, and send it to the missile via radio. The missile is fired, then detonated on command before it reaches its target. Uses a fragmentation warhead normally utilized in air-to-air engagements to kill the enemy. [2 Ores, 2 Chemicals, Inexpensive]

Wow, that went perfectly! I didn't know we could do that much in a single design phase, honestly. The end product is perfect, we might not even have to spend a new phase redesigning specialized missiles if this works out well! The skies our ours!

Anyone have any ideas for our Revision? We *might* be able to try modifying the existing space suit for Void's Armor designs, instead of trying to do it during a design phase. It is really just a modification, anyway...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:43 pm »

gyrojet ammo for our guns?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:17 pm »

Revision should change the guns to be more lethal.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »

recoil is a bitch in space, so we want little recoil, something that gyrojet nicely provides?

make them he-tipped rounds if you insist

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2015, 10:15:22 pm »

gyrojet ammo for our guns?

That is almost as blasphemous as lasers.

Revision should change the guns to be more lethal.

I always thought we would just replace our guns with a specific-for-space version, but this will work~. We really have to get on designing moon-rockets soon.

We should revise the 9mm to work better in low or zero gravity, maybe some kind of recoil compensator, even if we make the pistol heavier, if it is more stable we can pick them off clean.  As a bonus if we get a good recoil compensator we can add it to any new small firearm or vehicle machine gun designs.

((Void's comments on it)

I still believe we should increase the mass of the weapon, possibly changing its action as a way to slow rate of fire (apparently our guys aren't bright enough to set them to semi if we add more  :P). If we keep it at 9mm, and turn it into a large revolver, I think it will improve. A way to brace it would also be nice.

We may also look towards a shotgun-design, focused on allowing different ammunition types, we could always improvise as we went on. Something like a fag-12 or flamethrower ammunition might fix some of those nosy aiming problems.

recoil is a bitch in space, so we want little recoil, something that gyrojet nicely provides?

make them he-tipped rounds if you insist

...You are just making bolters aren't you? Frag would be more logical anyway, as they are fighting infantry.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:18:47 pm by Stirk »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2015, 10:21:08 pm »

Recoil ain't any more severe than on Earth as long as you're braced, when it comes to low gravity situations. On the Moon that's impossible, but inside a space ship...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2015, 10:22:14 pm »

Recoil ain't any more severe than on Earth as long as you're braced, when it comes to low gravity situations. On the Moon that's impossible, but inside a space ship...

Impossible? Moon cleats, goooo!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2015, 10:25:14 pm »

...You are just making bolters aren't you? Frag would be more logical anyway, as they are fighting infantry.

shh

frag is okay i guess

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2015, 10:37:04 pm »

Stirk's suggestion for Revision

Moonkiller Armor

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Attempt to modify our current combat focused space suits to resemble the Moonkiller Armor, as much as we can. Even if that just ends up being "Adding removable metal plates". Additionally, attempt to modify our Space Boots to have retractable cleats designed to dig into lunar-surfaces for weapon bracing.

With the new clarification, I think the best way to upgrade our gun's deadliness would be to add a form of bracing to our suits for the moment.
**EDIT NOTE**

What I meant by "Combat-focused" is that we should probably let our guys who don't plan on shooting things in the near future continue to use the old design, with the possible addition of the boots. All repair guys/whatever don't really need to be over encumbered.

shh

frag is okay i guess

...I knew it...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:50:35 pm by Stirk »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2015, 10:38:50 pm »

well the communoheretic has to be exterminated somehow. don't they?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15